Marriages To Western Men Cause Of Concern

Totster

I'm sipping a bit of tea and watching television this morning as I look out the window and watch of kind Thai gentleman mowing the green of the 10th hole. I fail to see exactly how the vicious Thais are discriminating against me?

It's because of something in your tea.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sipping a bit of tea and watching television this morning as I look out the window and watch of kind Thai gentleman mowing the green of the 10th hole. I fail to see exactly how the vicious Thais are discriminating against me?

Pimalai, pour me another cup!

"We No Like Smart Falang help Stupid Hill Tribe people, Make them Bigger than Thai"

:D a highly accurate summation that actually explains the essence of the alien business act = "we no like foreigner work together with underprivileged thai people make them take a share of the cake we restrict to few famous hyphenated surnames" :o

In the former case, I am very curious to know more about those "high investment requirements" and how they compare to the ones existing in Thailand (just for your reference, even NON-INVESTORS applicants like married men have to show a combined monthly income of more than five times the average Thai's)...

When my wife came to the USA she had no money,much less any investment,nor is there such a requirement.

What is required is that I as a US citizen can show proof that I can support my foreign spouce.Through income from my work,I also have to show other assets such as a home,etc.. Upon arrival my wife was issued a green card,and shortly thereafter applied for a social security number.Never saw an immigration officer again.

Upon moving to Thailand, I, The Foreigner had to show that I could support a Thai citizen(actually 2 counting our son).

I have seen Immigration officers at least 5 times a year,and every year had to show that I could continue to support Thai citizens.

I think this is exactly opposite to the situation here.Of course I might be wrong.

If we had a brain...................

That's the problem, too many Farangs are unable to take any type of flak from any Thai without screaming racism and xenophobia, kinda like the immigrants do in western countries.

You take all the good things that Thailand offers as a God given right, anything that you disagree with is dismissed as Nationalistic or just plain rubbish.

I too wish that we Farangs had to go through the same Visa procedures as the Thais do who wish to visit Farang countries, a very large number of so called tourists would never be permitted to enter Thailand for sure.

Give me a break........I am from the USA.....we have more immigrants than any country on the planet. If you want to come to America and start a business, it is EASY. Do I need to go down the list and compare policies?

We embrace immigrants with open arms (not so much as in the past, but still do). We encourage small-scale investment (it is infinitely easier for a foreigner to set up a business in America than it is for an American to set up a business in Thailand). We do not do anything to prevent foreigners from marrying American citizens.

There are good things in Thailand........the visa/business rules, underpinned by a growing xenophobic attitude, are not part of them. Some people chose to speak out when confronted with injustice........others, the majority I am afraid, bury their heads in the sand.

Yep! same in the UK, which is currently digesting nearly half a million Poles who have freely moved to the UK since Poland joined the EU. The UK is probably the most cosmopolitan country in the world. The thai gov moans every time some poxy little company is threatened with foreign ownership, which is absolutely laughable as the big foreign corps are moving out eg Nike. Where I live, the locals would be only too happy for a new foreign company to give them some work.

rych

There are too many signs and advertisement mainly in Chinese/English with no Thai at all to confirm that.

Ah, but the Chinese aren't evil bread-eaters like us... they eat rice so they're OK. :o

How many signs in English have all of the words spelled correctly? :D

There are too many signs and advertisement mainly in Chinese/English with no Thai at all to confirm that.

Ah, but the Chinese aren't evil bread-eaters like us... they eat rice so they're OK. :o

How many signs in English have all of the words spelled correctly? :D

BTW, the devil is (also) in the details: have you ever noticed how on the top of the advertisement boards there almost always are some Thai writings? If on advertisement boards foreign writings are in the highest place (i.e. higher than Thai's) the advertisers have to pay more tax on them!

There are good things in Thailand........the visa/business rules, underpinned by a growing xenophobic attitude, are not part of them. Some people chose to speak out when confronted with injustice........others, the majority I am afraid, bury their heads in the sand.

Very true.

This is our planet. We do not need a local passport to point our finger at stupidity and injustice.

Upon moving to Thailand, I, The Foreigner had to show that I could support a Thai citizen(actually 2 counting our son).

I have seen Immigration officers at least 5 times a year,and every year had to show that I could continue to support Thai citizens.

I think this is exactly opposite to the situation here.Of course I might be wrong.

This has changed very recently. Now it is fine if you (alone) or your wife (alone), or you both combined show a monthly income of 40000 baht.

Quote ''We have effective control measures to prevent any would-be foreign capitalist from taking hold of the local business, which has been run by Karen people in Ruam Mitra community for more than 20 years,'' said Mr Isae.

Would that be another name for Immigration :o

I would not be too worried about what this person says or thinks.

Actually, drop the "thinks" bit. Obviously the writer of the Post article does NOT think at all.

So, I would not be too worried about that this person writes or says.

(I am surprised he has enough "education" to write anything at all anyway)

Just another local "authority figure" spilling off at the mouth. Rather a lot of spillage, most certainly, but spilling off at the mouth nonetheless.

Don't most of "us" know that this is very common over here? This mouthing off bullsiht without knowing what you are saying or caring about the effect it may have or to whom the effect may fall upon?

I see this all the time, I hear this all the time. People here, in "authority" just saying what pops onto their tiny weeny little brains without any thought or planning at all.

Quote the tiny mind: "Who? Me? Why should I care what somebody thinks or who I may hurt? I can say what I want, I can do what I want! I am a powerful person!"

These sorts/types/kinds of people are always mouthing off about things they fear, such as intelligent humans.

Any trace of intelligence would undermine their little junkets, tea money and perks.

Besides, I see clearly that having any intelligence at all is not only not required to be in a position of power here, it is an outright hinderance to your own career and those of your peers.

Down with intelligent thought and speech I say. Protect Thailand from such nonsense!

[Anyone that marries hill people and elephants is a bit silly if you ask me!! Why do people find it so neccessary to put themselves through so much pain in life??

...talk about cross-breeding..... :o

And it's so humiliating that you have to put the land in the elephant's name if you want to build a house too.... :D

[Anyone that marries hill people and elephants is a bit silly if you ask me!! Why do people find it so neccessary to put themselves through so much pain in life??

...talk about cross-breeding..... :o

And it's so humiliating that you have to put the land in the elephant's name if you want to build a house too.... :D

did he also mention the pain...? :D

• 1 month later...

I am very concerned about Thai mail order brides coming to Canada.

Briefly , I have met far too many abused slaves married to men that no one in their right mind would want to be subjected to. I suspect that the women put up with their abuse in the hope of divorcing once they have their citizenship several years down the road.

I know of one case in which an abused Thai applied for divorce on the basis of violence. Her case was strengthened by the conviction of her husband for assaulting her lawyer outside the courthouse. Apparently the assault was caught on courthouse video. To get out of alimony he applied for annulment of the marriage on the grounds that she was a faithless wife that married him solely as a means of gaining Canadian citizenship. Unbelievably he won and she was deported penniless.

I am very concerned about Thai mail order brides coming to Canada.

Briefly , I have met far too many abused slaves married to men that no one in their right mind would want to be subjected to. I suspect that the women put up with their abuse in the hope of divorcing once they have their citizenship several years down the road.

I know of one case in which an abused Thai applied for divorce on the basis of violence. Her case was strengthened by the conviction of her husband for assaulting her lawyer outside the courthouse. Apparently the assault was caught on courthouse video. To get out of alimony he applied for annulment of the marriage on the grounds that she was a faithless wife that married him solely as a means of gaining Canadian citizenship. Unbelievably he won and she was deported penniless.

Name and link to news page in Canada! or has the troll keeper fallen asleep at the door again.

Quote ''We have effective control measures to prevent any would-be foreign capitalist from taking hold of the local business, which has been run by Karen people in Ruam Mitra community for more than 20 years,'' said Mr Isae.

Would that be another name for Immigration :o

Yes this is a month or two old of course, but this is a good quote - I remember it. The great thing about this is that they are ready to stop FOREIGNERS from exploiting the "karens" but hey, Thailand has no plan of letting the Karens profit now do they?? They can't even access health care, let alone be considered Thai...what a joke.

is the moral to this story that only THAIS can exploit the karen people? TIT

Edited by thaigene2

Really typical xenophobic nonsense. I really enjoyed the writer's concern about possible overcharging of tourists being caused by the foreign/western ownership of businesses. :o

Agreed.........xenophobic to the extreme. If we had a brain, we would all get together and demand that Thais living abroad be treated the same way--in terms of visa/business rules--by our respective governments as we are being treated by the Thai government. Can you imagine what would happen if we did that and our legislators passed equivalent visa/business laws and applied them to Thais living abroad? The shit would hit the fan and eyes would open!

I don't know what open arm countries you guys come from, but one thing is for sure - you never tried to get a visa for your GF / wife to show her how it's back at your home. School certificates (master degree helps), medical certificates (well, easy here, but still), 2 years proof that she didn't work anywhere near a bar, and the list goes on!

Yeah we should have a brain and KNOW that we already do the same!

You are incorrect - SOME countries do the same. Not 'WE'. Or 'ALL' of our homecountries.

Fine, name me one Western country where it's really easy for a Thai to go to and work. I'll proove you wrong with a single google search and a click on that country's embassy link.

I get the impression that some people here bash on Thais just because they don't have proper jobs / work permits / visas / lawyers. Spending your time WITH NOTHING BUT drinking and with other recreational funs won't make you be loved in any country.

There are certainly 1,000 things I don't like in Thailand myself, but there comes a time when you have to ask yourself why you're here or come here. It's easy. We accept those things we don't like, because those we like overweigh.

And to conclude, pleeeeease, also name me one country that didn't have at least one politician saying something blatantly stupid in this year. It's their jobs.