Smoked/processed Meats In Thailand?

JR Texas

I have never been able to find good quality smoked and/or processed meats in Thailand (fresh and shrink wrapped). I especially want smoked ham. The type used in sandwiches, like at Subway. I also want cotto and genoa salami.

Yes, I have seen the overpriced crap at Foodland....most of the time it has a bad smell. Is there a place devoted to producing smoked (and other processed) meats in Thailand?

I think that some person might be making smoked/processed meats in Nong Khai, but not sure. I think this because a Thai woman across from the railroad station in Nong Khai is making wonderful smoked ham sandwiches.

I have never been able to find good quality smoked and/or processed meats in Thailand (fresh and shrink wrapped). I especially want smoked ham. The type used in sandwiches, like at Subway. I also want cotto and genoa salami.

Yes, I have seen the overpriced crap at Foodland....most of the time it has a bad smell.

Carrefour has overpriced ham and smoked sausages. quality is not bad.

Im in the process of building my own smokehouse so will let you know the results. Managed to get some good recipes from the internet and already have a few different woods to try. Im not doing it for profit, just to feed my own desires and I like trying different things. Also have some wine going into mash and some cider is next. All keeps me out of trouble :o

Fresh Mart and Family Mart (7-11 lookalikes) carry a good selection of various hams from TGM, the Pepper Ham is extremely good.

Thanks for the quick responses.........but the meats at Fresh Mart, Family Mart and 7-11 are not what I am looking for. Also, IMHO, Carrefour's meat quality has declined dramatically since in opened.....now, it really smells in there and that is not a good sign.

Actually, I would like to be able to walk into a first-class Deli like back home........fresh meats of high quality at a reasonable price. I want to purchase entire "logs" and take them home, slice them up into smaller portions, and freeze what I do not intend on eating immediately.

H20Dunc........good luck with the smokehouse......I used to make some fantastic smoked BBQ back in Texas. I would do it in Thailand, but the insane visa/business rules are structured to prevent foreigners from investing in Thailand (of course, some still do and most lose money trying to fight the system that is geared to make them fail).

There is a large industry here producing processed meats (the CP group).........but it is run by Thais for Thais.........the quality is not there in my opinion.

Where is the farang-run deli?

German-Thai Meat Group........just thought of this..........is that the name? Maybe they do a better job of it.

German-Thai Meat Group........just thought of this..........is that the name? Maybe they do a better job of it.

TGM (referenced in my first post) stands for Thai German Meat group.

Try some, you may find it suitable, I certainly do. It's way better than the stuff you get at the 7-11.

Edited by Thaddeus

TGM (referenced in my first post) stands for Thai German Meat group.

Try some, you may find it suitable, I certainly do. It's way better than the stuff you get at the 7-11.

Yeah I like their stuff Thad, a pack of bacon goes a long way and the smoked sausages aren't bad.

Edited by sceadugenga

Yes, I have seen the overpriced crap at Foodland....most of the time it has a bad smell. Is there a place devoted to producing smoked (and other processed) meats in Thailand?

I think that some person might be making smoked/processed meats in Nong Khai, but not sure. I think this because a Thai woman across from the railroad station in Nong Khai is making wonderful smoked ham sandwiches.

The Thai Lady in Nong Khai that is making Ham, Bacon and Sausage learned how from her American Husband, and it is excellent... I have been buying from her for almost two years (even though I live 3 1/2 hours away)... If anyone is going to be up that way and wants her phone # (she speaks good English) PM me and I will respond with her contact info...

Pianoman

am i the only who thinks everything from thai german food company tastes exactly the same?

Ha, no you are not! I can only gather from the positive comments in this thread that some people actually prefer hotdogs masquerading as sausages.

Oh, what I would do for some proper smoked sausage or cold cuts...

am i the only who thinks everything from thai german food company tastes exactly the same?

Ha, no you are not! I can only gather from the positive comments in this thread that some people actually prefer hotdogs masquerading as sausages.

Oh, what I would do for some proper smoked sausage or cold cuts...

I think that the smoked meats business is a niche that has yet to be filled by any competent individual. Unfortunately, this is Thailand, so it will likely be a huge uphill battle just to get a small shop operational. Combine the smoked meats with a top notch deli and you are in business for sure (with a good location).

The "Eurogourmet" has some smoked Salami at Villa 33 and a large range of very good sausages German and English - they also have a great Pork Pie and Chorizzo sausage

Is it in Thailand? Please be more specific with regard to its location.......what city? Thanks.

I have found Foodland Deli’s to be hit and miss, but the one on Suk 16 does a very good job. The service is excellent. The selection, while not huge, varies over time. I think the smaller selection helps the turn over and freshness. They have a number of locally made Italian & German knock-off’s that are of acceptable quality, definitely better that the stuff they serve at Subway.