Expatriate Group health insurance?

deptrai

Please let me know if you have any claims experiences with this company.  Trustpilot reviews look (mostly) good.

From what I can tell in my limited research, the policy terms are clear and fit my needs.  Even their 13 page "Policy Wording" document is accessible and seem more reasonable than others.

Expatriatehealthcare dot com

Thank you.  I'm not sure if being in Mauritius is a good or bad thing.

Do you have any insights into HCI Group?  Healthcare international.  I'm being offered a policy from them through a broker.  They apparently cover heart attack & stroke even though I have high blood pressure, albeit with a 30% additional premium

8 hours ago, deptrai said:

Thank you.  I'm not sure if being in Mauritius is a good or bad thing.

Do you have any insights into HCI Group?  Healthcare international.  I'm being offered a policy from them through a broker.  They apparently cover heart attack & stroke even though I have high blood pressure, albeit with a 30% additional premium

I don't know much about the regulatory or financial oversight capabilities of the authorities in Mauritius. I think Guardrisk is owned by a South African entity, so I suppose that there must be tax and regulatory benefits to incorporating in Mauritius instead of South Africa.  Generally, I tend to be a bit skeptical of companies operating from tax havens or places where oversight tends to be weak.

I believe HCI is a German company and is an intermediary and not an insurance company.  HCI's website indicates that they offer expat health insurance through their UK branch which is managing general agent for MGEN, a French insurer. MGEN is rated "a" by AM Best, so they are good from a financial standpoint. HCI's UK branch would be regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, and MGEN presumably under France's ACPR, so the regulatory framework should be favorable. I wouldn't worry much about financial or regulatory issues in dealing with HCI or MGEN, but ask your broker about this just to confirm.