Imported Helmets

moo9

Hi,

havin an Index Fullcover, I am not so satisfied with the quality. I am looking for a quality helmet. What is the best place to go in Bangkok? I tried many stores, but rarely found something interesting. 99 % Thai stuff (small sizes, cheap and corresponding quality).

Thanks.

I looked every where and couldn't find a place. I went to Singapore for a visa run and bought one there. Yeah I know most people are not going there for a helmet but if you can make a list of stuff you want and maybe do a weekend get away. There are all sorts of bike shops with top of the line equipment and motorcycle parts there. Electronic goods too, I got a PS3 and some Jack Daniels there for about 40% cheaper than here. They had all sorts of Arai and Shoei helments. They ranged from $100-500 USD. Its alot, but your head should be worth it. The difference in safety, comfort and material was worth it. I paid $150 for mine, the shield is crystal clear and scratch resistant. I've had it 2 months and still no scratches! The liner is made of Cool Max Dupont and removable and the vents actual work well. Its quiet going 100 kph. Oh if you get a nice helmet, better lock it up. I've had about 6 different thais stop and ask where I got it and how much. 2 of them warned me about keeping it locked.

I brought my Nolan 100E from the USA because it's the only helmet I ever found below $350 that you can don and doff without removing your eyeglasses (the chin swivels up). Here I've bought standard Nolan full faces for 1500 baht, but they must be copies. They say there are a few stores in BKK and one in Chiang Mai (Pantip Plaza building, by the Night bazaar, so I've heard) where you can pay well over $200 and even $500 or more.

I brought my Nolan 100E from the USA because it's the only helmet I ever found below $350 that you can don and doff without removing your eyeglasses (the chin swivels up). Here I've bought standard Nolan full faces for 1500 baht, but they must be copies. They say there are a few stores in BKK and one in Chiang Mai (Pantip Plaza building, by the Night bazaar, so I've heard) where you can pay well over $200 and even $500 or more.

I got a Shoi full-face, I paid 12.000 baht for it, so they aint cheap (but neither is a broken skull) :o I got it from Bangkok, the shop is closed now, but there are others, but be careful about copies.

Cheers

Tilapia.

You can find Arai and Shoei here, but if you have a fat head like mine you can never find the right size.

Singapore is where I bought mine.

Cheers

Yes, Index usually only produces size L, which squeezes my head like a nutcracker. However I bought another Index helmet in BKK, which is also L, but the sales guy told me, it's a big L, so fits just perfect.

L and L not being the same reminds me of TiT (This is Thailand).

When buying a helmet in S'pore, no problems at the customs in BKK? I mean, a helmet does not easily fit in your case....

Cheers

If they ask just tell them you brought it from Thailand to S'pore because you were doing some riding down there.

It hasnt been mentioned yet, but do NOT go to Paddock in BKK.

Why not? I bought a helmet from them some weeks ago and am a satisfied customer.

Transfered the money one day (already know the size I needed) and got it the next

day, from bangkok to chiang mai,

If you need a vacation, definitely go to Singapore and get a new helmet and assorted goods. If you don't mind waiting a bit and paying shipping, I can enthusiastically recommend www.denniskirk.com. They have a huge selection of gear in all sizes and often have close out sales. The upside to buying there is that if you're conscious of such things, you'll most likely be the only one in the Kingdom sporting your helmet.

I would also recommend getting a jacket while your at it. Even the ballistic nylon models have come a long way in offering comfort versus safety. If you're not going to be tootling around in Bangkok, I would actually suggest getting a leather one, sine in my opinion they offer a bit more peace of mind.

If they ask just tell them you brought it from Thailand to S'pore because you were doing some riding down there.

Why not? I bought a helmet from them some weeks ago and am a satisfied customer.

Transfered the money one day (already know the size I needed) and got it the next

Helmets have an "expiry date". You might want to find out what the one on yours is- you should be able to find a munufacturing date on the inside. Paddock sells "New Old Stock" stuff- its out of date but unsold. I found out the hard way when I bought a jacket from them, within 6 months all the safety pads had disinigrated- I have little pieces of rubber floating around the inside of the jacket. They (Paddock) don't even want to hear about it.

Helmets have an "expiry date". You might want to find out what the one on yours is- you should be able to find a munufacturing date on the inside. Paddock sells "New Old Stock" stuff- its out of date but unsold. I found out the hard way when I bought a jacket from them, within 6 months all the safety pads had disinigrated- I have little pieces of rubber floating around the inside of the jacket. They (Paddock) don't even want to hear about it.
It's strange that places like The Paddock don't seem to care about word of mouth.

I was going to buy my new top-of-the-range full-face helmet there until I read the complaints on this forum.

I'll be visiting Fast Corner instead!

Ok,I thought I was just unlucky since I did not ask them what the manufacturing date was when ordering, but

from your post I guess others have had similar problems. Sorry about your experince. I'm not sure

other shops will be much different though. With most people not caring/knowing to care about

the date of manufacture, I'm not convinced other shops will do any different.

In my case, I phoned them after I had received the helmet and noted the manufacturing date (-2 1/2 years).

At least in my case, the matter was resolved satisifactory and they seemed honest about it,

so I will probably order from them again if I need to order by mail, but make sure to ask about the

manufacturing date before paying anything, which is a good idea to do with any shop.

]It's strange that places like The Paddock don't seem to care about word of mouth.

I was going to buy my new top-of-the-range full-face helmet there until I read the complaints on this forum.

I'll be visiting Fast Corner instead!

I have dealt with FastCorner (BKK) and the owner (sorry, forget his name) is a real nice guy, easy to deal with, knows his stuff. Their selection is nowhere near what Padocks is, but definetly in a different league.

Awk- glad to hear you got straightened out at Paddock. Good advice to check out the dates on everything, esp motorcycle gear.

• 2 weeks later...
Went down to Fast Corner yesterday to take a look see.

Some nice Arai helmets there but at 18k, not cheap.

Can anyone give me the heads up on Arai?

They're Japanese I know but are they quality?

Arai makes everything from inexpensive to motogp helmets. price diffference is in shell material, weight, air flow, ease of visor removal, liner, and even color/design. Do a search for Arai helmets, you'll find lots of info. or look at any of the big overseas helmet outlets like helmet city, you get a good idea of whats available to the rest of the world. :o

If you're buying any of the imported helmets in Thailand you are paying duty, not sure how much that is, but prices here are usually +30-50% what you find on the internet. if you are going to japan, singapore its probably worth it to buy there.

• 1 month later...

FastCorner here in BKK are definitely the best.

Paddock are the pits.

The owner of FastCorner [K Saschai] evidently has more than a little knowledge of US/Western customer servbice expectations and has been always straight, courteous and more than helpful when needed.

Maybe a bit pricey compared to UK or US but good new gear with first class service.

If you cannot source easily outside Thailand then he's the guy to see.

If you are looking for a Shark helmet then their only South East Asian dealer is based in Vientiane, Laos.

His off-road models are $236 each.

If you need to do a visa run & want to pick up a helmet, maybe even get some off-roading in as well [hire an XR250 from Fuark], then this is an option.

You can see full details here:

http://board.gt-rider.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2841