Garam Masala, Ghee

hughden

Anyone know of a food shop in Pattaya/Jomtien that carries a decent range of ingredients for cooking Indian food?

Thanks

There was a place on soi 17 near the big Sikh temple , not sure if it is still there but worth a look.

Was still there in June this year.

Otherwise check with some of the chefs in the Indian restaurants,

Or better yet, when you get stopped by those annoying tailor touts on Beach Road, hold a long conversation with them, discussing the relative merits of various spices and how well they blend together to make a particular curry flavour.

Anyone know of a food shop in Pattaya/Jomtien that carries a decent range of ingredients for cooking Indian food?

Thanks

There was a place on soi 17 near the big Sikh temple , not sure if it is still there but worth a look.

Was still there in June this year.

Otherwise check with some of the chefs in the Indian restaurants,

Or better yet, when you get stopped by those annoying tailor touts on Beach Road, hold a long conversation with them, discussing the relative merits of various spices and how well they blend together to make a particular curry flavour.

And hold onto their hand tightly so they cant get away.

Anyway, the shop is still there ... only place to buy real Basmati rice.

Naka.

Edited by naka

Go on the internet for recipes for garam masala, buy the ingredients, and grind them yourself.

mixing garam masala that no individual spice dominates is an art. the shop mentioned still exists but except for Basmati i wouldn't buy anything there. we are getting our spices from Singapore and India.

Anyway, the shop is still there ... only place to buy real Basmati rice.

Naka.

Do they sell gram/besin/chickpea flour there? If so, I'll have to ask a kind traveller to bring some for me.

If you walk down Soi Day and Night from South Pattaya road, past Pattaya People office, a little further down on the left is a small Indian shop.

They stock the lot including good quality rice, you should get all you need between there and Soi 17.

The shop on Soi 17 is still there - I can never remember the name (Diva??)....their stock is very up and down - ask about live yoghurt. They had ghee (or was it vegetarian ghee) there and a small range of pickles and dried spices pulses etc, popad etc. They used to be associated with the Kohinoor restaurant round the corner.

I'm sure if you ask nicely they'll get stuff for you.

......the idea of asking a tailor how to make a good Indian dish is interesting!

• 2 weeks later...