Stupid Is As Stupid Does

Went to immigration to get a Thai wife Visa today. The wife and I have been married over 10 years. We were married in my home country. Immigration officer wanted to see pics of the wedding. We showed the pics and she informed us that they were too old!!!! She wants recent wedding pics. I told her that we married over 10 years ago and she told to us that we should have pics taken again and a ceremony with a party in Thailand would be more appropriate. Then she asked some questions hoping to reveal that we are not truly married. What color are your curtains at your house? I said tan and wife said yellow. Interviewer raises her eyebrows. She asks how big is your TV? Me - 27 inches and wife 37 inches. She looks puzzled and tells me that there are no models of Tvs are 27 inches. How many fans in the house. I say 5 and wife says 6. Officer asks if we really live together. The whole time (about 3 plus hours) she was interviewing us, she was fielding other officer's questions, talking on her cell phone and being imterupted by a variety of customers. Arrived there at 9am and left at 4pm. No VISA!!!!!

Stupid stupid stupid!!!!

We showed the pics and she informed us that they were too old!!!! She wants recent wedding pics. I told her that we married over 10 years ago and she told to us that we should have pics taken again and a ceremony with a party in Thailand would be more appropriate.

I'm sorry .. this is so amusing. I'm sure, even though the pics were old, that anyone could tell it was you and your wife getting married 10 years ago. So clearly you've been married a long, long time - and she took that as a lack of evidence?

:o

So tell me .. you don't have a marriage license?

Edited by expatwannabe

Guess you have a marriage certificate?

Translate, legalise by your embassy, legalise by the Ministry of foreign affairs of Thailand.

Register at your local Amphur

This advice comes from a public prosecutor in Khon Kaen, my brother in law.

I was at the same office yesterday to renew my marriage visa after 4 years. Went without a hitch in less than two hours. Very pleasant staff. Sorry you had such a difficult experience. Make another humble effort another time!

Went to immigration to get a Thai wife Visa today. The wife and I have been married over 10 years. We were married in my home country. Immigration officer wanted to see pics of the wedding. We showed the pics and she informed us that they were too old!!!! She wants recent wedding pics. I told her that we married over 10 years ago and she told to us that we should have pics taken again and a ceremony with a party in Thailand would be more appropriate. Then she asked some questions hoping to reveal that we are not truly married. What color are your curtains at your house? I said tan and wife said yellow. Interviewer raises her eyebrows. She asks how big is your TV? Me - 27 inches and wife 37 inches. She looks puzzled and tells me that there are no models of Tvs are 27 inches. How many fans in the house. I say 5 and wife says 6. Officer asks if we really live together. The whole time (about 3 plus hours) she was interviewing us, she was fielding other officer's questions, talking on her cell phone and being imterupted by a variety of customers. Arrived there at 9am and left at 4pm. No VISA!!!!!

Stupid stupid stupid!!!!

was the immigration womble wearing a pink hello kitty armband ?

Whatever happens on my next trip to Suan Plu I do hope that if I get arrested by immigration police that I will get a chance to have the immigration Police General sing to me in my holding cell, the way he did to infamous peodophile John Marc Karr. Anybody remember that? I forgot what song he sang.

That may have been the most entertaining part of that fiasco.

Stupid stupid stupid!!!!

was the immigration womble wearing a pink hello kitty armband ?

Love it.

:o:D:D:D

I was at the same office yesterday to renew my marriage visa after 4 years. Went without a hitch in less than two hours. Very pleasant staff. Sorry you had such a difficult experience. Make another humble effort another time!

Maybe getting a renewal is easier.

Glad to see your humbled yourself to them and bowed and scraped for their approval!!!!

Maybe kissed a little arse as well??? :o

Why didn't they ask relevant questions like:

1. What is his usual excuse when he comes home late?

2. What does she nag you about?

3. What is his favourite beer?

4. How many pairs of shoes does she have?

Glad to see your humbled yourself to them and bowed and scraped for their approval!!!!

I had a goal when I entered the room and I achieved that goal. It's all in your attitude, baby!

And no one can have a better attitude than you....pal

Mr. Arse, with a nick name like yours and with posts like “Maybe kissed a little arse as well??? :o” you should perhaps not be too surprised to have your attidude brought into the discussion.

Anyway, it was thoughtful of you to let us know with your chosen member name that you are an arse, which should lead to the question whether your original post in this thread is perhaps a made-up story.

--------------

Maestro

What visa lasts four years?

What visa lasts four years?

Four years of marriage. We renew the visa every year in August in Bangkok.

Stupid stupid stupid!!!!

Sounds like business as usual. An inability to distinguish between conscientious and a pain in the ass.

I feel bad for your experience, you must have felt demeaned, which I would guess was the intention. And they let these people work with adults!

Rich

I had a goal when I entered the room and I achieved that goal. It's all in your attitude, baby!

This is said quite often, and it is probably true. But it shouldn't be. it should be about the law and what evidence you have that you meet the conditions required by law. All the other shit is what makes Thais a laughing stock. What is actually happening is the guy involved is abusing his position, which in a non-banana-republic would be actionable by appeal and complaints procedures.

It simply isn't about attitude, or dress, it is about the law. Applicants dont have to make a government clerk feel good, they have to show they comply with the law.

Among its many joys, Thailand can be a very sad place, and it is usually the many dopey, bigoted or power-needy Thais that make it so. My sympathies and empathy are with the OP.

FWIW, people outside of Bangkok are a whole different, and much more pleasant story...

Rich

Edited by RichardEllis

RichardEllis, I fully agree with you!

I finally got my Marriage Visa Extension this Year, but not on the grounds of income (which I could show, with all relevant documents they told me to provide a few days before, when I inquired), but rather on 400000 Bt in the Bank, which was paid in a few days before within Thailand.

They are clueless within their own stupid rules. No one there understands them. So, in order not to lose face, they make up rules as they go. A shame for Thailand.

I finally got my Marriage Visa Extension this Year, but not on the grounds of income (which I could show, with all relevant documents they told me to provide a few days before, when I inquired), but rather on 400000 Bt in the Bank, which was paid in a few days before within Thailand.

They are clueless within their own stupid rules. No one there understands them. So, in order not to lose face, they make up rules as they go. A shame for Thailand.

My turn to agree with you. The last para states the problem succinctly and rightly. Clarity of thought at its best.

Rich

Whatever happens on my next trip to Suan Plu I do hope that if I get arrested by immigration police that I will get a chance to have the immigration Police General sing to me in my holding cell, the way he did to infamous peodophile John Marc Karr. Anybody remember that? I forgot what song he sang.

Thanks for that flashback chinthee. That one was so weird I thought I may have only imagined it. Thanks for the confirmation. The Thai police crooner comforted the unfortunate Mr. Karr with this BeeGees oldie:Smile an ever lasting smile, a smile could bring you near to me.Don't ever let me find you gone 'cause that would bring a tear to me.This world has lost it's glory, let's start a brand new story now my love.Right now ther'll be no other time and I can show you how my love.Talk in ever lasting words and dedicate them all to me.And I will give you all my live I'm here if you should call to me.You Think that I don't even mean a single word I say.It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.You Think that I don't even mean a single word I say.It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.

Edited by lannarebirth

Thanks for that flashback chinthee. That one was so weird I thought I may have only imagined it. Thanks for the confirmation. The Thai police crooner comforted the unfortunate Mr. Karr with this BeeGees oldie:Smile an ever lasting smile, a smile could bring you near to me.Don't ever let me find you gone 'cause that would bring a tear to me.This world has lost it's glory, let's start a brand new story now my love.Right now ther'll be no other time and I can show you how my love.Talk in ever lasting words and dedicate them all to me.And I will give you all my live I'm here if you should call to me.You Think that I don't even mean a single word I say.It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.You Think that I don't even mean a single word I say.It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.

Dear Lord, please tell me it ain't so... Sweet Jesus.

Rich

I hated the foreigner who are stay in this Country and always say something bad to here. Who make dicision to stay, you or thais, Are we begging you to be here? I know that my country have so much difference than your beautiful home country. Think twice! what make you stay here? if thais stay in you country, is it easier?

I hated the foreigner who are stay in this Country and always say something bad to here. Who make dicision to stay, you or thais, Are we begging you to be here? I know that my country have so much difference than your beautiful home country. Think twice! what make you stay here? if thais stay in you country, is it easier?

I agree, but regardless the system is still arbitrary and unreliable. :o

To get a visa to my country, perhaps not. But once a Thai has legally immigrated to my country, then yes, it is a lot easier than in Thailand. There are no quarterly or yearly visa runs to do, no communication with gov't about where one lives every 90 days, an automatic right to work, social security benefits (if needed), etc. Thailand makes it difficult for legitimate visa seekers (i.e. those that are married to a Thai and/or have Thai children). If someday I decide to live in Thailand it is not because I really want to, but I would do it because of my wife and children. My wife (who is Thai) should not have to feel that her gov't is discriminating against her for life because her husband is a farang.

Edited by Gumballl

Mr. Arse, with a nick name like yours and with posts like “Maybe kissed a little arse as well??? :o” you should perhaps not be too surprised to have your attidude brought into the discussion.

Anyway, it was thoughtful of you to let us know with your chosen member name that you are an arse, which should lead to the question whether your original post in this thread is perhaps a made-up story.

Maestro

An excellent provocation. Goad, goad, goad, goad. Organise something behind the bike sheds at 3.30pm!! Right up there with my signature/footnote.

Edited by Big A