Is Now A Bad Time To Move To Thailand?

DavidOxon

Hi Guys n Gals

Thai wife and I are mooting moving to Thailand at the end of the year, but

are getting 'not now' messages from her close family. and 'not a good time economically' stuff

and 'better to wait in Uk and make more money'

Can currently afford to come financially and meet the visa requirements . . .

anyone else think it's a bd time to come?

David

Not to make money, just to live and raise a family (hopefully!)

Should be ok financially, if not we can always come back to sunny England!

Just wondered if anyone else was picking up on Thai negativity?

Are you coming here to make money?

It may be in the best interests of the family if you stay in the UK (not sure about you or your wife sending back money etc...), how will the economic situation in Thailand really affect you though?

True! reason for their advice? Do you send money to the family? :o

If it's a bad time now, how long are you willing to wait until it's a good time? No one knows what direction this country is heading in at the moment, you might end up waiting a very long time.

Like most people said, if you're not coming here to earn then I don't see much problem.

Hi Guys n Gals

are getting 'not now' messages from her close family. and 'not a good time economically' stuff

David

I can understand their concern. Their concern for you probably centers on the political instability within the country and a general feeling on the part of many Thais that things aren't going to get any better in the short term. We also get this feedback from our Thai family. In fact, my partner is very reluctant to return to Thailand for our six-month rotation between LOS and the USA. If I might ask...how old are you and your wife?

If the finances are in place then it is unlikely to affect you. Your wife on the other hand may find the need to help "support" the extended family if they are having a hard time.

As F Prince has said it is probably a feeling the family has about the state of their country ATM and they are including you in their concern.

My Thai family feels the same about things there and they are in Bangkok. It will get worse before it gets better thats for sure.

Thai Visa Forum negativity, certainly. Then again, that ain't nothing new, some guys here have been posting negative posts for years, and still they stay, so it can't be that bad can it. :D

Thai negativity ? It's all 'mai pen rai' still. :o

Edited by Maigo6

Thai Visa Forum negativity, certainly. Then again, that ain't nothing new, some guys here have been posting negative posts for years, and still they stay, so it can't be that bad can it. :D

Thai negativity ? It's all 'mai pen rai' still. :o

After years of trying to get transferred to BKK, now that it is within the reach - wife said - NO.

It has never happened before.

"Government no good, many factory closing". She does not understand much about it but first time ever she wants to leave Thailand and go to nothing better than - Japan.

I am also getting used to that - when I posted in visa section about WP it looked like I am in for a torture. Even Japan gives me 3 years visa + WP (second extension is going) and next year I can become a permanent resident if I wish to. No reporting, no humiliation, don't even know where that company-engaged agency takes my passport.

Now is a bad time to move to Thailand if you are currently living in New York. It must be midnight there and most decisions to move internationally that are made after midnight just don't work out. Get a good night's sleep and take a fresh look at it tomorrow.

It seems odd because the families usually want people back here. Most people I've talked to seem to think things aren't getting better, but they have very little concern about their safety etc.

Hi Guys n Gals

David

Well, her family would say that, wouldn't they!

If you want to come, then come.

If you look at the history of Thailand, both economic and political, it's always been a bumpy ride and the shocks are unpredictable. At least the recent political turmoil has not led to bloodshed and if this can sustained, then it suggests a long term improvement. The troubles in the south are very worrying but they do go back hundreds of years.

Make the move but never burn your boats.

Andrew

Same same sentiments from my thai family, it will get worse before it gets better.

I+my farang hubby were going to move back to thailand the end of last year – already sold the house, but now I'm not so sure anymore and don’t want to lose 25% of my hard earned saving thru low exchange rate. So I’m staying put in the US for now and trying to make some more money. May be I will move back when the bath gets to the 40s (wishful thinking?), or after the election. For now we found ourselves without a home so we’re building a new one currently while waiting it out.

If I didn't live here and was thinking about a move with family etc. I would hold back.

You've got a runaway currency, a milijary junta in control of the country and a severe lack of direction in what to do next. Until the new constitution looks more like a people's charter and not just another get rich quick scheme for the cronies then I'd stay away.

However, if I was retired I would not feel the same way.

Actually, this is a fine time to move to Thailand. Contrary to the many doomsday posts on this forum, the sky is not falling. Things have been changing sure, and gotten a bit more expensive in the major cities and farang areas. Apart from that, it's good old enjoyable Thailand.

Same same sentiments from my thai family, it will get worse before it gets better.

I+my farang hubby were going to move back to thailand the end of last year – already sold the house, but now I'm not so sure anymore and don’t want to lose 25% of my hard earned saving thru low exchange rate. So I’m staying put in the US for now and trying to make some more money. May be I will move back when the bath gets to the 40s (wishful thinking?), or after the election. For now we found ourselves without a home so we’re building a new one currently while waiting it out.

We moved here 5 yrs. ago.Now my wife wishes we were back in the states.Not because of the political situation or the strength of the Baht.But everything in general.Her family is really very nice,and she would miss them.

I suggest, should you move here, rent for a couple of years, to see how you like it.If you have been in the US for a number of years, you may not want to return to this lifestyle, as much as you think you do.I have no problems here(knock on wood),but there sure are a lot of hoops and hurdles to jump, to get anything done.It will be especially so for your husband.

We moved here last september, after living as a married couple in blighty for ten years. A few personal observations :-

The Coup, a couple of Hours news black out, school was cancelled for a day or maybe it was two , I can't quite remember; but that was it. The Thai people went about there business as if nothing happenned. I believe there's been 30 or so coups in recent times.

Exchange Rate, Nothing seems to have changed for GBP. I got 72 baht to pound , now got 68 ish.

There is a lot of uncertainty here (or so I'm told) , and generally all over the world, including the UK.

Thailand is still the best country in the world for me, for lots of reasons.

A couple of my friends have refered to the UK as 'The open Prison' twice this week. not exactly sure what they mean but I have my own views.

If Thailand goes 'Tits up' we can all return to the UK.

What sort of summer are you having over there ?

What are you waiting for, Your a long time dead! . appologies for my abrubtness ;-) ...... and bad spelling..... and grammar ;-)

Hi Guys n Gals

David

Visa requirements are a moving target.

If money is important to you or your wife and her family, stay put.

Thai females with a skill like cooking, sewing, massage, beautician and make a decent living overseas but not in Thailand.

Most important, don't listen to what people on this forum say, including me.