Prospective Marriage Visa

About to apply for a prospective marriage visa in a month or two and was wondering whether the amount of money in my bank account would affect the application in any way ? Will they take this into account over everything else, being that the relationship is real anyway?

TIA

About to apply for a prospective marriage visa in a month or two and was wondering whether the amount of money in my bank account would affect the application in any way ? Will they take this into account over everything else, being that the relationship is real anyway?

TIA

You'll have to give us more than that scant info'. Your age, nationality, how long you have known her. You want advice on Embassy stuff. We can possibly help if we have got some idea what you are trying to do.

TIA

BTW the relationship is real in your view only. There's a whole heap of bureaucrats waiting to prove you wrong irrespective of your nationality

ok then :o

Im 36, Australian - she's 25. I've brought her to Aus once already on a visitor visa - i've known her for around 8 months. Not bargirl, met her in netcafe and she was virgin too. Only actually been together as a couple for 4 months. I have no funds for a proper big wedding at this time, and being scared of just handing them a copy of the marriage license and them saying 'sham wedding' we would like to postpone the actual wedding for a couple (or few) months, get a NOIM certificate for prospective marriage and have a little bit more of a family affair aussie wedding later on. As i have next to nothing in the bank, I was wondering if they look at this *only* when everything else is in order and use it as an excuse to reject it ( i realise its the officers discretion whether this happens or not - i have read this forum at length, including UK people having trouble with lack of funds in the bank) or would it be prudent to have my parents be guarantor (as such) as she will be living with them and me if and when she arrives. We are currently going to great lengths to have everything in order and I simply don't want my being dirt-poor, yet employed (and the rest) screwing up the application, wasting 20000baht. What would you suggest? i get different information with simply every person i speak to and i get the idea that just following the guidelines in Booklets immigration have might not be enough!

Thanks for your expertise :D

My knowledge of immigration matters is solely founded in UK law but I would think the Aussie rules would be similar.

In order to get a marriage visa for the UK one of the criteria is that you can maintain your fiancée. Normally a regular income is sufficient but if in doubt then there is no harm in submitting evidence of your parents' financial standing in order to bolster the application, coupled with a letter from them stating that they would ensure that your fiancée would not be reliant upon public funds.

Scouse.

To take your wife back to AU you will have to sponsor her for 2 years.

To sponsor her you have to fill out an AoS and meet the requirements.

If you don't have sufficient funds, a house to live in and a means of keeping her for at least 104 weeks, a bond will have to be paid ($3,500AUD) This bond can be held for up to 10 years (usually 30 months)

Any Social Security payments that she may have to take will under the AoS will have to be paid back by you, regardless of whether she stays with you or not.

The bond will be used to pay for any of the Social Security payments made to her in any way, but if it exceeds this bond amount, you are still fully liable for any further amounts.

Best to contact:

Muticultral Services

1st Floor, 191 Pultney Street

Adelaide 5000

They are handling this as a part of CentreLink.

Cheers,

Reg

To take your wife back to AU you will have to sponsor her for 2 years.

To sponsor her you have to fill out an AoS and meet the requirements.

If you don't have sufficient funds, a house to live in and a means of keeping her for at least 104 weeks, a bond will have to be paid ($3,500AUD) This bond can be held for up to 10 years (usually 30 months)

--Yep i just rang Centrelink and the threshold is $32,000 per annum - earn below that and its likely immigration will ask for AoS - PLUS theres another $1000 or so on top of that $3500 I can't remember what for tho

Well I'm on $29000 so I guess i'm gonna hafta cough it up

I'm still confused tho, I'm wondering whether this prospective marriage visa is for 9months or 2 years - I know you have to Marry within 9 months - am i getting the wrong idea somewhere ?

AoS

Just got back from seeing CentreLink, the critiera is worse than what you think.

The amount needed is $32,485 per year TAXABLE INCOME for that last 2 years and ongoing.

If on any pension, i.e. DSP it IS NOT counted as part of your income.

Guess they just don't want anyone coming to AU unless they are filthy rich.

Thanks Amanda. :o

AoS

Just got back from seeing CentreLink, the critiera is worse than what you think.

The amount needed is $32,485 per year TAXABLE INCOME for that last 2 years and ongoing.

If on any pension, i.e. DSP it IS NOT counted as part of your income.

>>>-- yep

Guess they just don't want anyone coming to AU unless they are filthy rich.

>>>-- i spose - ahh well its only money and its not like they keep it, unless ya use the welfare system, like ya got a choice :o

Thanks Amanda.

>>>-- ###### Beotch !

my wife has just received 2 year settlement visa for uk.

we got married at amphur in bangkok apr 20th,we filed for visa 21st june and it

was granted 10 days later!.

The embassy was more interested in 4 years phone contacts than money in bank,

my wife said the old photos also helped ( you can not be any younger, greyer or thinner lets be honest)

for more (very current info pls mail me)

first post, please be gentle.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm still confused tho, I'm wondering whether this prospective marriage visa is for 9months or 2 years - I know you have to Marry within 9 months - am i getting the wrong idea somewhere ?

Yes, I think you are getting confused. The fiance visa is to provide time for you and your fiance time to get married after arrival in Oz. If you don't marry she must depart Oz. The two year period covers the time she will not qualify for any social security benefits or financial support from Oz government, other than Medicare cover. After two years she can apply for Oz citizenship.

An additional point is that if your relationship is not successful, you can only apply to sponsor another foreign partner after a five year waiting period.

Note that this info is from my own experience going back a couple of years. Therefore you should cross-check as Government regulations do change.

My knowledge of immigration matters is solely founded in UK law but I would think the Aussie rules would be similar.

In order to get a marriage visa for the UK one of the criteria is that you can maintain your fiancée. Normally a regular income is sufficient but if in doubt then there is no harm in submitting evidence of your parents' financial standing in order to bolster the application, coupled with a letter from them stating that they would ensure that your fiancée would not be reliant upon public funds.

Scouse.

They arn't Scouser you soapdodgers have a different ballgame.

The rules are plain and simple, Reggie has been researching for his Spouse in great depth and will be succesfull.

All the details can be found in the booklet available on the DIMA website and called Spouse Migration.

my wife has just received 2 year settlement visa for uk.

we got married at amphur in bangkok apr 20th,we filed for visa 21st june and it

was granted 10 days later!.

The embassy was more interested in 4 years phone contacts than money in bank,

my wife said the old photos also helped ( you can not be any younger, greyer or thinner lets be honest)

I am going for a 2 year settlement visa for the UK - We got married on the 21Apr and applied - they gave us the interview date of the 31st August and I'm living in Isaan waiting for it to happen at the moment. We have photos, going back to April last year, , holidays in Phuket, Samui, Samed, Isaan wedding, emails etc. She even pregnant right now!! How come you got your so quick?

Should I ring the embassy and get them to bring forward the date as I would like to get back home and start earning some money as soon as I can, instead of spend every penny I have buying cows and air con.

Does the fact that she's pregnant practically garentee a visa - not that we need that we are a very genuine couple - 31 and 24, just wondered. I just want to get on with things instead of doing nothing.