Cafe Theme And Food

simon43

OK, this is a serious piece of market research! I'm acquiring a nice cafe/small restaurant in Sukhamvit as a business for my Thai GF. I've done my on-the-ground research of the area, so I know what competition from other eating establishments already exists.

Now I need to decide on the 'theme' of this new cafe. On a separate thread it was mentioned that BKK lacks decent Mexican restaurants. So if I can find a good Mexican chef (some hope...), then I'd be onto a winner :o

What about other foods or themes? Is there something that BKK really lacks? What about a decent sports bar, with big-screen US or european sports? Or maybe a Muay-Thai sports bar???

And what about the food again? Thai or farang? Or something rather obscure??

This venture is not something that I stand or fall by, so I'm not going to top myself if it all goes belly-up! But it would be nice to open this new little business with something to offer that's going to be well-received!!

Your suggestions are very welcome! For your peace of mind I better say that I personally WILL NOT be doing the cooking, nor the singing, nor the erotic dancing :D

Well, I posted here about 1 year ago with almost exactly the same post as you just made.

And today my GF is happily running our new Fusion restaurant on Sukhumvit. I will not mention the name as I know the rules of the forum and dont want to get into any trouble. I have also emailed thaivisa for rates on advertising but got no reply!

Anyway, its not an easy road and you will need loads of patience. It would help if you have experience in the service industry and especially if you have some experience of working in THailand.

Best of luck with your adventure...........

Thanks for your reply and glad to hear your venture is going ok! I've been running my own business(s) in Los for about 18 months. Also my GF used to run a restaurant, so we are not completely 'newbies'!

All businesses require hard work and long hours to make them a success (and many fail even with that hard work). So I'm sure we are going to have lots of 'fun' with this new venture...

Simon, if I were you, I'd go with a good Italian sandwich shop. Where one can buy a real hot pistrami and swiss or a meat ball sandwich. Subway is attacking Thailand, but their sandwiches are so so, not the real deal.

Not sure if this helps, but the current trend in London is "gourmet burgers". A few new chains have started up in the trendier areas.

High quality meat, quality spices, excellent toppings (like good bacon, blue cheese, exotic salads, etc) to differentiate from the fast food slop and the re-heated pub fare. The burgers are big and with a plate of very decent fries plus a drink cost around £10 (service not included).

Even if this isn't the right idea for Sukhamvit, aren't you moved to LOS!! :o

I would stay away from Thai food. After all, we are in Thailand and good Thai food abounds here.

Go for something that is not widely available. Personally, for me, like the other posters said, a fabulous hamburger or sandwich would be welcome that doesnt come from McDonalds or Subway.

Brevells, sealed toasted sandwiches, easy to make, cheap easy to clean equipment and can be filled with just about anything from a stew/pie filling, baked beans, cheese and tomato, etc. the list is endless.

Some of my favorite restaurants had: Comfortable seats, free peanuts, shells covering the floor, a carafe of ice water on the table, coffee with several free refills, white paper covering the tables with crayons in a small cup, some pretty decent art was made occasionally by customers. Decent music. Free newspapers.Wireless internet hotspot.

Successfull restaurants have the owner on site checking on the customers and keeping the standards up.

A mexican place with a tortilla machine operating in the front window might work.....

Some great ideas!! Thanks!!

Firstly, although I'd love to run a Mexican restaurant or Tapas bar, I will have problems finding a good chef. Good mexican food is not that easy to make, so I know I might have problems finding a good chef (and then be at his/her mercy if a pay rise is demanded!!)

But some of the other ideas I like. My idea was to have a relaxing place, so good comfortable chairs and decent size/height tables. Yes to the free newspapers. Some decent music and a large-screen TV which either plays sports/news TV or music videos etc.

I like the idea of free water, but peanuts to be avoided (have you never heard the true story of '20 flavours' of peanuts? I'll tell you if you want :o

Of course I need to strike a balance between nice cafe and commercial sense! So not everything is free! Wirelss internet is feasible but there's an ADSL cost that I will have to pay, and I don't really want someone to buy one coffeee and then surf all day at my expense....

But keep these ideas coming!! I've been looking today at various catering/coffee equipments, so I'm in working mode today :D