Kayak

blubythebay

Hi there,

Does anyone know anything about kayaking on the Ping in Chiang Mai? All clues and serious ideas will be helpful. Does anyone know or has anyone even seen a kayaker on the Ping?

How about kayak rentals or purchasing in Chiang Mai.

I'm more interested in knowing someone who is currently kayaking than rushing to the sports department at Central to purchase a kayak.

Last, but certainly not least, are there any interested parties out there who might enjoy this?

I see people kayaking on the Ping all the time. There is a place that rents out kayaks by the hour. I haven't done it, but a friend has. The rental place is somewhere south of the Narawat Bridge, between the bridge and the Westin/Sheraton/whatever it is these days, I think on the eastern bank. Unrelated to your question but interesting: members of the Thai national rowing team train further upriver at San Pi Sua.

Hey Blu. Uncle Jerry's right, it's on the E. Side of the river. I haven't gone in a yr now, but I've gone several times. it's great. Just frikkinig great!! Once you paddle up past the Super Hwy it starts to get really quiet. You also go by unheard of resorts and even a royal residence few people know about. The views are amazing - I'd say take a cmaera, but you never know if you might roll or get rained on, so maybe don't! Anyway, I've gone all the way past the 2nd Ring Road - quite a bit of work by oar, but the ride back is super easy as you're working with the current, you really just need to steer if you feel lazy.

Go across the small metal bridge at the end of Loi Kroh that dumps you out across from the TAT n The Duke's. The rental place is right by the first place after where all the Blue Songtaews park along the river bank on your right. It's easy to walk too far as it's a narrow entry that looks like it's putting you into someone's house and yard. It kind of is actually. If you pass the narrow entry way you see a small shop that sells chips and Thai snacks -like pickled kraton sitting in the juice n stuff - Anyway you end up down at the bank of the river and you will see all the kayaks they have there. They have everything from little pinner-style kayaks for racers with good balance, to more leisurely flat bottomed ones. I usually go right for the middle choice. The price is something like 150 baht for 2-3 hrs. That's pretty reasonable for a few hrs amusement and exercise, and if you hang out there alot they may give you price breaks or ease up on the time restrictions.

And seriously, paddle up to Mae Rim and it's another world up there from the river. Also you will prove a major source of amusement for all the Thai people who see you and wave to you on your way too. There aren't many of us taking the time to do it. I'm inspired to go again already.

Hey Blu. Uncle Jerry's right, it's on the E. Side of the river. I haven't gone in a yr now, but I've gone several times. it's great. Just frikkinig great!! Once you paddle up past the Super Hwy it starts to get really quiet. You also go by unheard of resorts and even a royal residence few people know about. The views are amazing - I'd say take a cmaera, but you never know if you might roll or get rained on, so maybe don't! Anyway, I've gone all the way past the 2nd Ring Road - quite a bit of work by oar, but the ride back is super easy as you're working with the current, you really just need to steer if you feel lazy.

Go across the small metal bridge at the end of Loi Kroh that dumps you out across from the TAT n The Duke's. The rental place is right by the first place after where all the Blue Songtaews park along the river bank on your right. It's easy to walk too far as it's a narrow entry that looks like it's putting you into someone's house and yard. It kind of is actually. If you pass the narrow entry way you see a small shop that sells chips and Thai snacks -like pickled kraton sitting in the juice n stuff - Anyway you end up down at the bank of the river and you will see all the kayaks they have there. They have everything from little pinner-style kayaks for racers with good balance, to more leisurely flat bottomed ones. I usually go right for the middle choice. The price is something like 150 baht for 2-3 hrs. That's pretty reasonable for a few hrs amusement and exercise, and if you hang out there alot they may give you price breaks or ease up on the time restrictions.

And seriously, paddle up to Mae Rim and it's another world up there from the river. Also you will prove a major source of amusement for all the Thai people who see you and wave to you on your way too. There aren't many of us taking the time to do it. I'm inspired to go again already.

Hey RealDeal Thanks for the info. I know just where you are talking about so I shouldn't have any trouble finding the place. The price is cetainly right, non?

I'll be back early Oct. This is probably an activity for the winter when it's dry.

There are so many hidden treasures in Chiang Mai that's it's time I started seeing them.

realthaideal, how safe would it be after all this heavy rain. I would hate to see an inexperienced kayaker et in trouble. The ping can be tricky esp where it narrows I would imagine.

How long would it take an average kayaker to get to Mae Rim? Seems like a long way against the current.

I bought a sit-on-top kayak from Super Sports a few months ago. With life jacket & paddle it came to about 22k Baht. They had to order it from the mothership in BKK - no models at all in stock in Chiang Mai - but I'd been down there before & checked out the various models in person before I placed the order. My boat was made in Thailand, you can check out the company & its line of kayaks at their website: http://www.feelfreekayak.com/inter/kayak.htm (I've got a Nomad)

I love my kayak. Since I spend most of my time in Phayao that's where it is & I take it out on a reservoir near my home about once a week. It's a great spot - nothing but forest & mountains in sight & if I ever see anyone else on the water it's a local fisherman. I haven't taken it out on the Ping yet, but I hope to someday. By the way, where is a good put-in on the Ping with parking north of the city? Any suggestions?

realthaideal, how safe would it be after all this heavy rain. I would hate to see an inexperienced kayaker et in trouble. The ping can be tricky esp where it narrows I would imagine.

How long would it take an average kayaker to get to Mae Rim? Seems like a long way against the current.

Lucky me, I live in a house on the river across from San Phi Sua - point being that I get to see the river day in & day out. Even after heavy rains (thus far), the level rises barely half a metre and the current speeds up just a little. Sure, it will be a different story when the monsoon proper gets going a few weeks from now - the Ping will average a rise of a good metre or more and will get fast........ probably too fast for all but athlete-types to work against it for more than 1km. Until then, enjoy - but think about having at least a small life-jacket!

As Puwa says, Thai teams train most days here (from about 5pm). Good fun a couple of days ago when I saw a 4-man and a 5-man kayak racing upriver..... the 4-man crew apparently decided to even up the odds and came in at an angle to overturn the 5-man boat. Thai rules, I guess? :o

By the way, where is a good put-in on the Ping with parking north of the city? Any suggestions?

Take a look on the east (San Phi Sua) side right below the first Superhighway bridge - on the north side of the bridge opposite Lotus. There's plenty of space to park your vehicle - but up to you how safe you decide it will be to leave it there unattended? - and you shouldn't have a problem with put-in/get-out.

Take a look on the east (San Phi Sua) side right below the first Superhighway bridge - on the north side of the bridge opposite Lotus. There's plenty of space to park your vehicle - but up to you how safe you decide it will be to leave it there unattended? - and you shouldn't have a problem with put-in/get-out.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Yo, RTD, if you're serious gimme a shout sometime if you get motivated. I used to kayak often in Cali at a local lake. Not the same as a river with current, or ocean, I know. Would love to give it a shot, but definitely would want to go with someone. I'm used to medium sit on tops, and am a very good swimmer (if needed :o )

McG

I just moved to Thailand a month ago and kayaking is my passion. I expected to find rentals in the beach towns in the south, but am delighted to know there or more possibilities.

Can you (all-collectively) be a little more specific about places throughout Thailand that you can buy/ rent one? I left my 17 foot touring sea kayak in Micronesia, but would love to have one here (and hopefully someday a pick-up truck to transport it). I live in central Thailand, in a village that is bordering on suburbia, about 45 km. north of Bangkok, but I often see kayaks on the river in Pathumthani.

Can the die hards and people who have been here awhile possibly Please compile an ongoing list of places one can rent kayaks for a day or a few hours, even, preferably with a heads up on prices? I, for one, would be very grateful.

Also, where is the mother lode for buying a kayak in Bangkok? Is it one of these situations where you negotiate prices, or are they fixed, with no possibility for discounts.

Can we keep this kayaking thread going, with information. Oh, and you can get waterproof housings for your camera, and there are even a few waterproof digital cameras on the market these days. Otherwise, Murphy's law is you will get wet, either from rain or an occasionaly dumping, so I agree with the others, leave the camera home or get one of those cheapie disposables for kayaking...

Edited by mindweave

"Yo, RTD, if you're serious gimme a shout sometime if you get motivated. I used to kayak often in Cali at a local lake. Not the same as a river with current, or ocean, I know. Would love to give it a shot, but definitely would want to go with someone. I'm used to medium sit on tops, and am a very good swimmer (if needed :o )

McG"

Good idea McG. I had the same thought as I put up my post but got lazy about mentioning it. I'm all for a group of us going out n rowing up river. Great exercise n great scenery. Something different to do with ourselves in town and a way to enjoy the Mae Ping.

They do have life jackets if you need 'em but I think alot of us Farangis is good swimmers. As for water speed n current - I first went back in July '03 and I got rained on. Never even thought or worried about that piddly current. Even now the water is fuller than earlier months, but it's still not that bad. I kayaked a fair deal when younger back in the ocean in CA and the river isn't scary at all to me. I always respect it, but it's not scary.

As for actually doing the deed, when you get out there with some folks, you see who has shoulder power and who doesn't, that's for sure. I took a group of friends out a year or so ago and two of them kind of stayed close to the second bridge doing circles and having a splashing fight for an hour while my friend n I raced on trying to get as far as we could before too late into the sunset. A good hour and a half or so of paddling will get you way up there, and then in the semi darkness you can drift back just steering - like biking downhill back to the camp. So fun and a nice end to the vigor of going upstream.

"Yo, RTD, if you're serious gimme a shout sometime if you get motivated. I used to kayak often in Cali at a local lake. Not the same as a river with current, or ocean, I know. Would love to give it a shot, but definitely would want to go with someone. I'm used to medium sit on tops, and am a very good swimmer (if needed :o )

McG"

Good idea McG. I had the same thought as I put up my post but got lazy about mentioning it. I'm all for a group of us going out n rowing up river. Great exercise n great scenery. Something different to do with ourselves in town and a way to enjoy the Mae Ping.

They do have life jackets if you need 'em but I think alot of us Farangis is good swimmers. As for water speed n current - I first went back in July '03 and I got rained on. Never even thought or worried about that piddly current. Even now the water is fuller than earlier months, but it's still not that bad. I kayaked a fair deal when younger back in the ocean in CA and the river isn't scary at all to me. I always respect it, but it's not scary.

As for actually doing the deed, when you get out there with some folks, you see who has shoulder power and who doesn't, that's for sure. I took a group of friends out a year or so ago and two of them kind of stayed close to the second bridge doing circles and having a splashing fight for an hour while my friend n I raced on trying to get as far as we could before too late into the sunset. A good hour and a half or so of paddling will get you way up there, and then in the semi darkness you can drift back just steering - like biking downhill back to the camp. So fun and a nice end to the vigor of going upstream.

Can you (all-collectively) be a little more specific about places throughout Thailand that you can buy/ rent one? I left my 17 foot touring sea kayak in Micronesia, but would love to have one here (and hopefully someday a pick-up truck to transport it). I live in central Thailand, in a village that is bordering on suburbia, about 45 km. north of Bangkok, but I often see kayaks on the river in Pathumthani.

Also, where is the mother lode for buying a kayak in Bangkok? Is it one of these situations where you negotiate prices, or are they fixed, with no possibility for discounts.

It may sound crazy but one of the main reasons I wanted to get a car/truck after 3 years of getting by with a motorcycle was so I'd have a way to transport a kayak! Of course, staying dry in the rainy season is an added bonus.

I ordered my kayak from Super Sports in Bangkok. Sorry, can't remember which branch. They had 2 models of touring kayaks from Feel Free, as opposed to just the one on the Feel Free website. There was no bargaining involved, just like anything else you buy at Central. And I should mention that if anyone is buying a Feel Free kayak, in my opinion the boat is great but the accessories are crap. The skeg I got (they did throw that in for free) broke as soon as I put it on. And there seems to be no clear way to attach the optional thigh straps. Still, I love to get out on the water & paddle. Think I will this afternoon...

McG"

I always bungee a life jacket on the back, have a housing for my Canon digital camera (good to 40 meters) and am ready to roll. Let's do it. See if we can make China (in a day or so). :D

McG

Count me in, sounds great. :o

Add me to the list of interested participants. Other option is to rent the kayaks - load 'em all on AusThaied's family wagon, roadtrip them up to Mai Rim and paddle back.

Anyone know if there is a club or school that will teach things like doing an eskimo roll and entry/exit in water? I did a fair bit of paddling in Oz and off Samuii but from an open top boat. I would like to convert over to a covered kayak and need the extra skills.

Thanks

CB

• 3 weeks later...

There is a website about a bunch of guys going down the Ping River at http://fh2o.kuchingkayak.com/2005/11/damned-dams.html

I believe they were using folding kayaks for their trip, which explains why they were able to travel all the way to Thailand for the trip.

For kayaks equipment around this region, here's are a few main ones:

Feelfree thailand by Joy Sports (www.feelfree.com) - I think they do carry other brands as well, mostly plastic kayaks. I think they are the distributor for Dagger products as well.

Perception Malaysia (www.perception.com.my) - a wide range of perception touring and whitewater models, also mainly plastic kayaks but they do have some in fiberglass as well.

Kayakasia Paddlesports (www.kayaksia-ps.com) - specialized in folding kayaks and travel kayaks, carries all major brands and high-end paddling equipment. Based in Singapore but dealer for the SE Asia region.

Hope this helps !

Count me in, sounds great. :o

Anyone know if there is a club or school that will teach things like doing an eskimo roll and entry/exit in water? I did a fair bit of paddling in Oz and off Samuii but from an open top boat. I would like to convert over to a covered kayak and need the extra skills.

Thanks

CB

CB I know of a place about an hour north of BKK, if that helps. PM for info ... there is a club called Siam kayakers, mostly white water kayaking, and play boating .. fun fun fun

• 3 months later...

I kayaked back in Idaho, but not usually upstream! So Real Deal, How Long does it take you to paddle all the way to Mae Rim? Cool to see all this kayaking interest.

Also, what is the water quality like in the Mae Ping?

It may sound crazy but one of the main reasons I wanted to get a car/truck after 3 years of getting by with a motorcycle was so I'd have a way to transport a kayak! Of course, staying dry in the rainy season is an added bonus.

I ordered my kayak from Super Sports in Bangkok. Sorry, can't remember which branch. They had 2 models of touring kayaks from Feel Free, as opposed to just the one on the Feel Free website. There was no bargaining involved, just like anything else you buy at Central. And I should mention that if anyone is buying a Feel Free kayak, in my opinion the boat is great but the accessories are crap. The skeg I got (they did throw that in for free) broke as soon as I put it on. And there seems to be no clear way to attach the optional thigh straps. Still, I love to get out on the water & paddle. Think I will this afternoon...

I bought few Feel Free kayaks recently and we have been taking them out for a spin on nearby lakes, mostly for fishing. The kayaks we have are Moken (sit-on-top = SOT), not as fast as touring kayaks, but very stable. We do 14-16 km. in half a day, without much of a problem.

The interest in kayaking is increasing all around the world and according to a kayak magazine I read few weeks ago, many manufacturers have had over 100% growth per year for over 4 years.

post-46636-1198230157_thumb.jpg

post-46636-1198230173_thumb.jpg

post-46636-1198230185_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

There is a place on the CM - Hang Dong road that sells them, When coming from CM go past Lotus, Makro and Big C... After another 2 Lights you will see it on the left hand side. Its about 8km from the lights of central. I would imagine them being very cheap.