Brand New Vigo Not Up To Scratch!

jackr

Went in to pick up the new Vigo today and after depositing hefty cheque and paying for the red plates, I was expected to be led to a spotless vehicle with very few kilometres on the clock. In reality, and after twiddling of the thumbs waiting for 'our lady' to finish kin khao for 30 minutes, we were ushered outside to a less than perfect specimen. It wasn't the various, temporary blemishes on the bodywork that upset me, or the hideous black permanent scuff mark on the centre console where the guy had fitted the window film, or the general non-showroom condition, but the 40kms on the clock on start-up. Now I understand that brand new cars will have nominal mileage owing to testing post production line, but it was quite clear the thing had recently been cruising the streets of Chiang Mai. On quizzing the lady she admitted it had been moved around the dealers and went out to have the window tint. Call me fussy, but when I buy a new car I expect it to be in tip-top condition and not to lose it's virginity to Somchai the rev-head :o:D

I therefore concluded that the vehicle was second-hand and broke off the deal, taking back the cheque but leaving the deposit until an actual 'new' vehicle is brought in for me. They say they're getting an upgraded version (alarm/central locking upgrade) next month and invite me to see the mileage as well as promising not to take her out for a spin. The new version is, however, more expensive although hoping they'll recompense and waive that somehow.

Anyone experienced similar or do you think one is being overly picky?

Cheers

Edited by jackr

Niyom Panich had my mota in tip top nick when i picked it up. I did mention to the salesman that i was a panel beater in another life. You should have just asked / told them to sort it out for you. Sometimes this "kriengjai" thing can get a tad one sided.. :o

The new version is, however, more expensive although hoping they'll recompense and waive that somehow.

No thoughts on whether you were being overly picky, but I do think that the idea of you getting the more expensive model for the price of the lower-cost model can be filed under wishful thinking. :o

I bought a new Toyota in the 'Rai and they had several hundred new vehicles parked out the back, they showed us the one we wanted and we enjoyed the hospitality of the customer lounge for an hour while they detailed it and put the extras on.

I suppose it had about 30km on the clock but it barely made the nearest gas station on what they had in the tank.

I'm with ya, jackr. Most people don't mind, but you (and I) do, when things we buy as new are not quite.

When I bought a new motorsai last Dec, they told me there were only 2 off the production line in Thailand (2007 model) and it would be trucked up here in a day or so. At that point, I carefully explained to the salesperson that I am an obsessive/compulsive FREAK, and that if the bike was presented to me with even a dust mote on it, much less a scratch (even hidden on the underbody) I would not take delivery. And I made it perfectly clear that no mechanic who did the assembly/setup was to even ride it around the block. Flawless with no miles, or no deal.

Took delivery of a PERFECT specimen.

Of course it is not so now, but that is my perogative. If I do damage, that's OK.

BTW, in a previous gig I worked as a sales manager at a Ducati motorcycle dealership. We sold limited editions that were extremely rare and expensive. I can remember laying down on the ground and polishing the underside of the fairing of a new about-to-be-delivered bike..... :o

McG

I'm with ya, jackr. Most people don't mind, but you (and I) do, when things we buy as new are not quite.

When I bought a new motorsai last Dec, they told me there were only 2 off the production line in Thailand (2007 model) and it would be trucked up here in a day or so. At that point, I carefully explained to the salesperson that I am an obsessive/compulsive FREAK, and that if the bike was presented to me with even a dust mote on it, much less a scratch (even hidden on the underbody) I would not take delivery. And I made it perfectly clear that no mechanic who did the assembly/setup was to even ride it around the block. Flawless with no miles, or no deal.

Of course it is not so now, but that is my perogative. If I do damage, that's OK.

BTW, in a previous gig I worked as a sales manager at a Ducati motorcycle dealership. We sold limited editions that were extremely rare and expensive. I can remember laying down on the ground and polishing the underside of the fairing of a new about-to-be-delivered bike..... :D

McG

Good to see someone that was dedicated to their job. can you come around on the morrow and give the dream a quick once over, beer as payment.. :o

me buy new

me want new

me get new

me also get clean

this is what i understand

most importantly an accident free car. :o

nop that is not true, i pay for a new car i must get a new spotless car, if i do not want a new spotless car motorbike airplane or what ever i will go buy a returned car? a refurbished car, a second hand car, or what ever.

i think this forum should be changed to what consititutes a new car so here goes.

1. no scratches

2. spotless

3. no man made defects other than the manufacturer ones that should also be non exsistance.

4. max 20 km

5. max a third of a tank full

6. no scrtaches nuthing, and if washed not washed with normal soap as i need to keep my factory wax on it.

7. no other than factory additions to it other than what i ask for, and even then it is done with no defects or affecting any points above.

8. and no akward smell in their other than a brand new car smell that will last for 1 month. :D

anyone else please feel free to add. subtract not really.

BTW, in a previous gig I worked as a sales manager at a Ducati motorcycle dealership. We sold limited editions that were extremely rare and expensive. I can remember laying down on the ground and polishing the underside of the fairing of a new about-to-be-delivered bike..... :o

McG

Yep, gotta be tip-top mate :D

The lady called up yesterday and asked what sort of minimum kms on the clock would I be ok with. I said as little as possible but the main request was that as soon as it's delivered from Bangers that I don't want it moved around and that it should be spotless or no deal. Anyway, sort of considering going for an old banger and saving me dosh after all that so they could have done me a big favour.

Cheers

I've now bought 2 new Toyota's (one of them fresh off the truck from BKK - saw it arrive) and both had ~20KM's on them, so I'm guessing that's what they're going to have out of the factory lot. If yours needed to visit 3rd parties for accessories, 40KM does not sound terribly unreasonable. As for the marks/blemishes, that certainly is unreasonable however. I probably spent at least 20 minutes scrutinizing my last Niyom Panich purchase before accepting, but all was in order thankfully.

As for getting some type of financial benefit out of knocking it back, I'd say the chances of that are somewhere between none and fark all.

I've now bought 2 new Toyota's (one of them fresh off the truck from BKK - saw it arrive) and both had ~20KM's on them, so I'm guessing that's what they're going to have out of the factory lot. If yours needed to visit 3rd parties for accessories, 40KM does not sound terribly unreasonable. As for the marks/blemishes, that certainly is unreasonable however. I probably spent at least 20 minutes scrutinizing my last Niyom Panich purchase before accepting, but all was in order thankfully.

As for getting some type of financial benefit out of knocking it back, I'd say the chances of that are somewhere between none and fark all.

They called me up lastnight to say a new one had just come in from Bangkok with 7kms on there. So told em not to move it and I'll have a look. Should be picking it up Thursday. They wouldn't forgo the extra 8k as the alarm/immobilizer had been upgraded, but knocked off 15k for bits I didn't want, 100k free servicing as opposed to 50k free, full tank gas and everything else that comes with new, financed cars as standard. Wasn't worried so much about the fact that the car had an excessive amount of kms per se, it was the fact that it had been moved around between dealers for gawd knows how long, and although this is probably standard practice with most dealers, I was havin' none of it :o

I told her if she's not perfect when I come do drive her away, I'll be going home alone again :D

They called me up lastnight to say a new one had just come in from Bangkok with 7kms on there. So told em not to move it and I'll have a look. Should be picking it up Thursday. They wouldn't forgo the extra 8k as the alarm/immobilizer had been upgraded, but knocked off 15k for bits I didn't want, 100k free servicing as opposed to 50k free, full tank gas and everything else that comes with new, financed cars as standard. Wasn't worried so much about the fact that the car had an excessive amount of kms per se, it was the fact that it had been moved around between dealers for gawd knows how long, and although this is probably standard practice with most dealers, I was havin' none of it :o

I told her if she's not perfect when I come do drive her away, I'll be going home alone again :D

you didn't get the THB1,000 voucher for Duke's included? :D

you didn't get the THB1,000 voucher for Duke's included? :D

Nah, missed that un, but I hear the beer's free in a certain elephant-themed bar this Saturday :D

They called me up lastnight to say a new one had just come in from Bangkok with 7kms on there. So told em not to move it and I'll have a look.

So you're not concerned it hasn't completed all of the QA/QC testing with such little K's? :D

Quality control in Muang Thai?:o I think I'd rather find out if the tracking is out myself then take her back for tweaking rather than have Mr Somchai put her through her paces. If it had 0kms, which would sort of suggest it hadn't been through standard post production checks, then I'd worry. :D

I've had a Toyota in the UK and their "Handing Over of Keys Ceremony" appeared to be company policy. They were very particular in the presentation of the vehicle. Toyota will probably bo((ock the dealer. :D

:D:D:D

Given that Niyom have an absolute monopoly in Chiangmai, that Thai's are heavy on glengjai even for major purchases, and that foreigners represent a miniscule portion of the new car buyers market, and on top of that are famous in Thai circles for being serial whingers with unrealistic expectations (well, most expats here are Brits), I'd say it's more than likely that the Toyota HO guy will sit down with the dealer principle and they'll just say "farang bah mak" with a :bah: and a :bah: and move right along to the next point of business..

:o

Edited by BlissfullyIgnorant

I've had a Toyota in the UK and their "Handing Over of Keys Ceremony" appeared to be company policy. They were very particular in the presentation of the vehicle. Toyota will probably bo((ock the dealer. :D

:D:D:D

I'd say it's more than likely that the Toyota HO guy will sit down with the dealer principle and they'll just say "farang bah mak" with a :bah: and a :bah: and move right along to the next point of business..

:o

Quite possibly, but at the end of the day who gives a smeg if you eventually get good service? Snubbing my nose up at the less-than-perfect specimen they tried to sell me certainly did the trick as the next one was flawless.

I fully agree - the last motorcycle I bought got knocked back twice before they finally found one without any scratches on it. Doesn't change the fact that they think we're just being unreasonable/overly picky/especially difficult :o

i really wouldn't give a shit what they think as long as i am happy :D and if jackr is happy ! but i still think you should have asked for the THB1,000 duke's voucher to buy us all beer :D

Doesn't change the fact that they think we're just being unreasonable/overly picky/especially difficult :o

The missus certainly had the '<deleted> do you think you're doing' look on her face when I knocked it back :D