[problem] Seagate 320gb 7200.10

Uncle_Ho

I bought it yesterday went back home and installed .. everything was fine until it started giving me sporadic loud "clicking" sound.

Sometimes 2-3 loud clicking .. i used seatools to check but i was told the drive is in good condition.

Is this normal, because it never happened to my sg 250gb 7200.10 drive ..

Can i return it to get another one from Dcom?

If i can, the "new" one i will be getting - is it refurbished or "brand new" ..

anyone with the same prob ?

thanks

cheers !!

I bought it yesterday went back home and installed .. everything was fine until it started giving me sporadic loud "clicking" sound.

Sometimes 2-3 loud clicking .. i used seatools to check but i was told the drive is in good condition.

thanks

cheers !!

It's hard to say for sure because i cannot hear the exact sound you are describing, but from my experiences loud clicking noises from HDs usually is a sign that the drive is about to fail.. It could be days or it could be months.

If you really don't feel good about it, then you should return it. Better safe than sorry a while down the road.

BTW, i have had a few drives die on my after making clicking/scratching noises. I also have a couple that still work after formattting them, but with bad sectors.

Guest Reimar

I WOULD GO TO EXCHANGE.

TAKE A LOOK AT THE WARRANTY STICKER! THERE 2 MAIN SEAGATE IMPORTER IN THAILAND: DCOM AND SYNNEX!

IF THE RIVE IS FROM SYNNEX YOU SHOULD GO TO PANTIP, SYNNEX HAS AN SERVICE CENTER THERE.

IF IS FROM COM, GO TO THE HEAOFFICE OF DCOM AT SOI NGAM UPLEE, RAMA IV ROAD! THEY WILL EXCHANGE DIRECTLY!

LOUD "CLICKING" SOUND LOOKS IT WILL FAIL IN A SHORT TIME!

I say take it back...if the shop you bought it from bought it from one of the official distributors in Thailand you get a new one in 10 minutes. We have multiple (8 pieces) of this drive I never hear any clicks.

For refurbished, I never had any problem with a refurbished hard disk, this only means that a technician worked on it personally.

thanks

cheers !!

Depending on the model, this can be normal behavior for Seagate drives. It's a feature called STIR (Seek To Improve Reliability) that is intended to increase longevity by performing random seeks when the drive has been idle for awhile. It was meant to prevent heat buildup on the area under the head. I was really disturbed by that noise after purchasing a 200GB drive for an external case a year or so ago. I can only imagine how many Seagate drives have been returned because of this, it was foolish for them to not put this info in a prominent location on the box or manual, perhaps that has changed by now.

google it for more info: http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&amp...ve+Reliability)

It only happens when the drive is idle and it sounds kind of like a "quiet train". If you are experiencing something else, i would do as others suggested and bring it back.