Scratch Marks Need To Vanish

leftcross

today i backed my black pre-runner into a parked motorcycle and got two big scratch marks about 10cm each just above the off side wheel arch. :o:D

does anyone know a decent place in bangers to get this sorted out? i'll pop down to the toyota dealership on tuesday but if anyone has somewhere to recommend in the mean time i would be most appreciative.

Depends where you are in Bangkok for convenience. Bodyshops are everywhere. Just pop into one and get a quote.

The one I used to use is right at the end of Sukhumvit 71. Hang a left onto Petchburi road at the Khlong Tan intersection and it's first or second small soi on the left. Doesn't look like much but they do a great job.

cheers. how much do they normally charge for this sort of work? i'd like a figure to start with rather than trying a few shops to get a realistic amount.

im in sathorn but was down soi 71 today. anywhere will do within the city limits if someone can recommend that they do a good job.

Edited by leftcross

scratches are so easy to repair. \i had a braand new Toyota Celice many eyars ago and scratched the front wing on a steel sheet the first day!!!

The scratch was deep-down to bare metal/ I rubbed the area down to get rid of and polish residue the used a very small kids paint brush toapply many coats of paint to the scratch itself.The trick is to build up the new paint to slightly above the and dry paper. once done apply clear cellulose to make it shine and the jobs a good one. with the temperatures here in thailand the job should take a coupel of hours max

Can one simply leave a scratch mark and tend to it much later? In other words is there 'a stitch in time...' aspect to it?

I have a couple of barely visible scratches which don't bother me in the slightest, but I don't want to ignore them if there's a negative aspect to leaving it.

Can one simply leave a scratch mark and tend to it much later? In other words is there 'a stitch in time...' aspect to it?

I have a couple of barely visible scratches which don't bother me in the slightest, but I don't want to ignore them if there's a negative aspect to leaving it.

If it is no further down then the primer it shouldn't be a problem. However, if it down to bare metal then you have a potential for the spot to rust and that will take more effort to correct.

Does anyone know how to clean these scratchmarks? I wont personally bother taking mine to a bodyshop but would like to tidy them myself

the scratch marks will be easily removed as long as they do not go through to the basecoat or primer. find yourself some "brasso" or "brillo " metal polish. apply a small amount to a soft cloth and polish a couple of square centimetres at a time, rubbing hard in a circular motion. keep rubbing until the polish "disappears", the metalwork will heat up if you are doing it right, and the scratches will disappear. for deeper scratches on non-metallic finishes, you can rub them out with a 2000 grit waterproof sandpaper (use plenty of water) then finish off with the brasso. a thai friend once brought his new tiger to me, begging me to respray it, as his wife had had a go at destroying the paint with a key, after finding out about his mia-noy. he had been to the paintshop and they had told him the paintwork was irrepairable. i gave him the can of brasso, and showed him how to use it, and after an hour the paintwork was good as new.

the crap orange-peel paintfinish on new cars can be fixed in this manner, too. rub flat with 2000 grit paper, and finish off with the brasso. do not use burnishing compound or machine-polish, as you will likely end up with fine scratches. i used to do custom paintwork for showbikes, and this was the way to get that mirror-gloss that seperates a showbike from a shop finished job.

good luck

frikkie

the scratch marks will be easily removed as long as they do not go through to the basecoat or primer. find yourself some "brasso" or "brillo " metal polish. apply a small amount to a soft cloth and polish a couple of square centimetres at a time, rubbing hard in a circular motion. keep rubbing until the polish "disappears", the metalwork will heat up if you are doing it right, and the scratches will disappear. for deeper scratches on non-metallic finishes, you can rub them out with a 2000 grit waterproof sandpaper (use plenty of water) then finish off with the brasso. a thai friend once brought his new tiger to me, begging me to respray it, as his wife had had a go at destroying the paint with a key, after finding out about his mia-noy. he had been to the paintshop and they had told him the paintwork was irrepairable. i gave him the can of brasso, and showed him how to use it, and after an hour the paintwork was good as new.

Thank's for the Tips Freaky, I knew you must have some use for something. :o

Thank's for the Tips Freaky, I knew you must have some use for something. :o

mogwai6,

the scratches on your fortuner can be removed using a 50grit paper, and finish with a newspaper soaked in brakefluid. the shit in the drivers' seat will be more difficult to remove.

freaky

Edited by frikkiedeboer

mogwai6,

the scratches on your fortuner can be removed using a 50grit paper, and finish with a newspaper soaked in brakefluid. the shit in the drivers' seat will be more difficult to remove.freaky

Good response Freaky.

:o

Edited by Maigo6

mogwai6,

the scratches on your fortuner can be removed using a 50grit paper, and finish with a newspaper soaked in brakefluid. the shit in the drivers' seat will be more difficult to remove.freaky

Good response Freaky.

:o

Shit can easily be removed, Maigo isn't shit. He's what's known as a "Keyboard Hero". Definition is :- One who is bravely prepared to engage in prodigious acts of personal courage that would normally entail the risk of a thorough kicking if he were not protected by the anonymity of an internet message board.

All the worst Migraine6

Edited by coventry

Shit can easily be removed, Maigo isn't shit. He's what's known as a "Keyboard Hero". Definition is :- One who is bravely prepared to engage in prodigious acts of personal courage that would normally entail the risk of a thorough kicking if he were not protected by the anonymity of an internet message board.

All the worst Migraine6

I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce. :o

All the worst Migraine6

I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce. :o

My problem is maigo6 / AKA migraine6. Not that hard to pronounce really.

I don't have a problem other than when trying to view sensible / genuine threads, you seem to chirp in with nothing sensible to say. You're not the only one that gets off on winding people up as there seems to be quite a few that do it. I would say that the likes of you do nothing to enhance this forum. All you do is deter people with problems and questions from posting, resulting in members moving to <URL Automatically Removed>s.com or thailandqa.com just to get away from your worthless criticism. Why the moderators allow it is beyond me. I have noticed you don't seem to do it to them, hence "Keyboard Hero".

Can't wait for your return to Thailand, the forum has a tendancy to pick up when your here. Proberbly because you don't log in during this period.

Once again migraine6, all the worst.