Permanent Thai Residence

this year a 163 RP have been granted (for those who applied nearly three years ago and faced three different interior ministers, and its the interior minister who finally sign the papers)

the process is transparent, but mountains of papers have to be organised and most of the permits go to chinese and indians - farangs make up about a third.

its a marathon, but the guidelines are clear.

My information is that being married to a Thai is considered very good "supporting evidence" of your intention/need to reside permanently in Thailand.

When I brought up the fact that I hoped to apply for PR soon, the first question they all asked, virtually simultaneously, was "Are you married to a Thai?" When I explained that yes I was married to a Thai, but hadn't yet registered with the local amphoe office, they strongly advised me to register immediately. They said being married to a Thai would strengthen my case.

That was the first question they asked me when I went to get an application form. One would think that being in Thailand continuously for 20+ years would be more substantial evidence of intent to stay than just being married. After all, marriages break up all the time, but how many people spend half their lives in a country and then voluntarily leave?

• 2 weeks later...

being the friend of a khunying certainly helps - if other supporting data are ok as well.

support your file with photos, maybe even show up with the khunying at san plu if thats possible.

best is to have a thai wife and kid(s).

not less important is the last taxes you paid (even though you have to show tax receipts for the past years).

the LAST amount will be highlited! if one pays taxes lower than 50'000 baht, chances are slim.

for the relevant year I'd pay something of around 70-90'000 baht to be on the safer side - it most certainly will help.

being the friend of a khunying certainly helps - if other supporting data are ok as well.

support your file with photos, maybe even show up with the khunying at san plu if thats possible.

best is to have a thai wife and kid(s).

not less important is the last taxes you paid (even though you have to show tax receipts for the past years).

the LAST amount will be highlited! if one pays taxes lower than 50'000 baht, chances are slim.

for the relevant year I'd pay something of around 70-90'000 baht to be on the safer side - it most certainly will help.

Supporting letters from senior Thais can help IF everthing else is in order.However I was told by an experieced Thai lawyer (who has acted for hundreds of PR applicants over the years) that support letters from business leaders don't add very much.What catches the eye is support with senior bureaucracy or ideally palace connections.A Khunying's letter could certainly be helpful.My lawyer source emphasized that the applicant should be quite careful he understood what impact a particular name would convey.

He was quite adamant that having a Thai wife/kids was almost entirely irrelevant.There were other ways families could be supported without giving the farang PR.I have had this confirmed from other sources.He said having the" wrong sort" -his words not mine- of Thai spouse could actually work against the applicant

By the way I finally obtained PR this year, having applied nearly 3 years ago.

congrats boris - so I was in the same run with you - applied in dec 01 and finally got it.

true with the "wrong" kind of thai wife.

I had to show up with my wife also again at the very end when they issued the certificate. they are most eagerly checking what background a wife comes from - sorry to say it that way, but arriving with a formerly working girl - and thais just know it - makes your case worthless. sorry again to say it that way, but thats the way it is.

what I dont agree with boris is the fact that there are other ways to support a family without giving the farang PR - why should a foreign investor have more needs for a PR?

somehow they value family values.

and dont forget to pay decent taxes.