Meixco Vs Thailand Football Fight?

bangkoksingapore

Who won?

If you mean the soccer game, Thailand did.

Ugly brawls mar Thailand's historic football semi-final spot

Thailand qualified for the football semi-finals of the World University Games for the first time yesterday, but the historic moment was marred by a bloody free-for-all at the end of the game.

The late melee in the host country's 1-0 victory over Mexico saw two players from each side sent off. Thailand faces Ukraine tomorrow.

The ill-tempered match was played at Supachalasai National Stadium in searing heat. Kick-off was at 3pm.

Anon Sangsanoi scored the winning goal for Thailand in the 74th minute. Clashes erupted in the fourth minute of stoppage time with play in the host's penalty box. Mexican midfielder Marco Valverde appeared to elbow goalkeeper Umarin Yaodam as they both went for the ball. Umarin was left with a bloody lip.

Referee Paul Ward of Canada red-carded both players.

But the dispute was rekindled off the pitch and led to players from both sides engaging in a free for all. Officials and spectators joined in.

The violence spread to the stands as the home crowd threw water bottles on to the field. Security guards were called in to quell the situation. It took 10 minutes for the dust to settle.

When play was ready to resume, Ward instantly brandished another two red cards, sending Thailand's Wisarut Pannasri and Daniel Rojas of Mexico for an early shower.

Matters simmered down briefly but the final whistle brought mayhem, with both sides back at it hammer and tongs.

Police intervened but it was another 10 minutes before order was restored. The post-match news conference at Thammasat University's Rangsit campus was standing room only. Journalists crammed into the conference room but were forced to wait an hour before Thailand co-manager Juta Tingsapat appeared.

Juta said: "On behalf of Thailand's football team, we owe an apology to the Thai people for what happened.

"We also want to apologise to Mexico. We' re ready to shake hands with them and become friends again ... as the Games' theme states: 'All Become One'.

"It's a football match and all any team wants is to win. I think it's pointless to try and apportion blame in this matter.

"For what happened, I will leave it to the event committee to decide on any action to take against us," added Juta, who swiftly left the room, refusing to answer questions.

- The Nation

================================================================================

24TH WORLD UNIVERSITY GAMES SOCCER

Thais win as game ends in brawl

Thailand advanced to the semi-finals of the Universiade football competition when they beat Mexico 1-0 in a match which saw a total of five red cards dished out and ugly scenes in the last few minutes at Supachalasai stadium. In the last 15 minutes, the game became increasingly ill-tempered with rough tackles from both sides. Following a goalmouth scramble Mexico's Marco Valverde appeared to punch Thai goalkeeper and captain Umarin Yaodam right in front of the referee and Umarin reacted by taking a swing himself. This sparked uproar as players on both sides pushed and shoved one another and play was held up for 10 minutes while Canadian referee Paul Ward and his officials tried to sort everything out. Captain Umarin, who was red-carded, said on behalf of Thai team, he felt disappointed and sorry for Thai fans. ''As the team leader, I am really sorry and apologise.''

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Sports/14Aug2007_sport25.php

Edited by sriracha john

Saw it on tv.

Scramble in front of the goal, mexican player took down the thai goalie. Lots of arguements and when things look sorted, Mexican player walked right in and suckered punch the goalie infront of the ref then he ran..

Fans started throwing thinngs into the field......

Game restarted. Final whistle..rough tackle from mexican player....Afew players exchanged handshakes but melee starts again. Saw a thai coach(?) in blue taking swings at a mexican player then the live feed got cut off.

Those south ( central ) Americans at it again :o:D .

Everyone must have seen at some point in their lives on telly one of those massive kick offs they have at football matches were all the players start laying in to each other and 9 times out of 10 its a game from the Brazillian , Argentinian , Mexican or any other south american league.

Sometimes it happens in games just involving south americans ( anyone remember last seasons champions league game Valencia v Inter Milan ????? ).

Seriously, what did that Mexican think he was doing?!!! This is Thailand! He's lucky he wasn't murdered on the spot.

Damian

i am sure there exist the same stereotypes about mexico and mexicans.

Ya and I wouldnt think a Thai person would be daft enough to sucker punch a Mexican player in Mexico in front of a bunch of crazed Mexican fans.

Damian

I think the Thais actually showed some restraint after watching the Mexicans spoiling for a fight. Both teams were pretty cowardly with their fighting (punching then running), but it was a good unexpected flying kick from the Thai chap, although it didn't do much damage.

It's amusing to see the Thai chaps fight other teams....especially the infamous one with Qatar with all the Thais doing flying kicks one after the other.

However, I'd blame Argentina and Turkey for the most hot-headed, disgraceful acts on the pitch.

Seriously, what did that Mexican think he was doing?!!! This is Thailand! He's lucky he wasn't murdered on the spot.

Maybe the MExican thinks there is MS-13 Gang in Thailand. lol hehehe so thats why they start the fights

yeah, sportsmanship is when you go for the same guy in the next game.

well, as far as slagging off asians and latin americans, what about the little incident of a certain frenchman. Helped win the world cup for Italy so I'm happy. lmfao

I wish they would do more of this in really boring sports... like golf or snooker.

rych

Who won?

Don't know (or care) who won the game. But the fight looked like a bunch of 14 year old girls kicking & scratching each other. Bluddy fairies! Funniest thing I've seen in a while. :o

have to agree about the slappy hands thing....give me a good hockey fight anyday, toe to toe, none of this slapping someone and running way.

Who won?

Don't know (or care) who won the game. But the fight looked like a bunch of 14 year old girls kicking & scratching each other. Bluddy fairies! Funniest thing I've seen in a while. :o

have to agree about the slappy hands thing....give me a good hockey fight anyday, toe to toe, none of this slapping someone and running way.

Yep toe to toe, but head to toe in padding. The softest guy can pretend he's Ricky Hatton in that situation - nothing you do hurts, unless you take off the helmet.

For sports fights nothing beats rugby matches I reckon.

For sports fights nothing beats rugby matches I reckon.

Thats because the blokes are big & strong enough to inflict real damage on each other.

You boys are obviously not hockey fans!

Close enough to rugby on ice. :o

Seen the hockey fights & they are easily up there with the best including MMA octagon stuff. In fact the hockey fights can be even more entertaining than a Jiu Jitzu match that has stalemated in one corner.