Opportunities For Non-native English Speaker?

akumabito

I have been thinking about pursuing a career in teaching, as it appears to be the most accessible part of the Thai job market at the moment. I would like to get a proper foundation first however, and my idea was to enrol in the Master of Education in Educational Administration course of the Ramkhamhaeng University. Followed of course by the obligatory TEFL/TESOL courses.

The biggest hurdle I can foresee now though, is actually landing a proper job. Most job vacancies posted are quite adamant in their demand for native speakers. Now I have plenty of experience speaking English, and even a tiny bit of experience in teaching the language (I used to volunteer for a small language school in Wakayama, Japan for a few months), but a native speaker I am not.

I am from the Netherlands, though fortunately I am not plagued by that ghastly Dutch accent. During the past few years, I have traveled a lot, been in near-constant contact with English speakers, I have attended an international college where 95% of classes were taught in English, and I speak with a slight American accent.. (my ex-girlfriend was from Seattle I guess her accent rubbed off on me)

Anyway, to make a long story short; I consider myself a near-native English speaker (for the lack of a better term), and I was wondering if I'd have any chance at all in this segment of the job market. How rigid is the demand for native English speakers? Any flexibility at all, or would I be better off pursuing an alternate career?

I'd appreciate any input on this matter!

If you have at least a Bachelors Degree (Hoger Onderwijs) and a TEFL/TESOL Certificate you will find a job for sure. Especially upcountry. In our province city are at least 4 teachers from the Netherlands working at Government schools. Some are even working at English Programs.

Many schools have a preference for teachers from native-English speaking countries but if they can't get them they have to lower their requirements. Don't worry, you'll be fine.

Petch01

I knew a number of Dutch who taught English in Japan, and I find that the English of many Dutch citizens is very good quality, indeed. There's still a great deal of flexibility here (you can find many parts of the job market filled by Indians, Filipinos, and the occasional European), though you will still be in the lower ranks of jobs compared to native speakers of similar qualifications/competence. Outside Bangkok, you might as well be a native speaker.

"Steven"

You should have no trouble. A LOT of schools only care about your skin color when hiring. If your white, you speak English, right?

hehe, that s true, i m french and currently teaching in nakhonsitammarat, in that school they don't give a ###### to my horrible accent, but, they like my face... obvious enough ?

I knew a number of Dutch who taught English in Japan, and I find that the English of many Dutch citizens is very good quality, indeed. There's still a great deal of flexibility here (you can find many parts of the job market filled by Indians, Filipinos, and the occasional European), though you will still be in the lower ranks of jobs compared to native speakers of similar qualifications/competence. Outside Bangkok, you might as well be a native speaker.

"Steven"

Nobody gives a ###### about ur accent or ur educational qualification...all they want to see is ur skin color ,that's what matters here!You are lucky u are a whiteman coz you'll be worshipped here regardless!!

For the lack of good decent teachers, many places also now say native or near native speakers of English teachers sought. I agree with Petch01, if you have a degree and TESOL/TEFL etc, your chances are high and also with Scott where the skin colour thing is a true too. Look around and you'll find something good, and don't sell yourself cheap.........best

• 2 weeks later...