Where Is The Best French Restaurant In Bangkok

joe1912

a French friend of mine (living in KL) is over here this week and needs to take out and impress some customers. He is looking for recommendations for the best French Restaurant in Bangkok. Money is no object!!

any recommendations appreciated.

a French friend of mine (living in KL) is over here this week and needs to take out and impress some customers. He is looking for recommendations for the best French Restaurant in Bangkok. Money is no object!!

Money no object - Le Normandie at the Oriental - but you must book in advance and unfortunately wear a jacket and tie at dinner. The food is great and the wine list as good as any I've seen anywhere in Europe. Expect to pay at least 8,000 baht+++ a head.

For something a bit more 'intimate and friendly', (and less expensive), try Le Banyan at the end of Sukhumvit Soi 8. Set in an old Thai house, with great food, great friendly owners and good service. About 2,000baht+ a head excluding wine.

Other French restaurants worth a try are Le Vendome deep down Sukhumvit soi 31 now. Personally, ones I avoid are Lyon and C'est Bon.

:o

If this is a serious 'western style' biz meeting, doubt you'll do better than Palm's recommendations.

But, if your friend thinks his clients might fancy something a little different, try Le Bouchon down Patpong Soi 2 .... pretty good food at reasonable prices. It is somewhat cramped and, of course, you have to navigate Silom and Patpong to get there, but it sure has character :o

Need to be quite sure they'd see the funny side ... go conservative if in doubt!

If this is a serious 'western style' biz meeting, doubt you'll do better than Palm's recommendations.

But, if your friend thinks his clients might fancy something a little different, try Le Bouchon down Patpong Soi 2 .... pretty good food at reasonable prices. It is somewhat cramped and, of course, you have to navigate Silom and Patpong to get there, but it sure has character :o

Need to be quite sure they'd see the funny side ... go conservative if in doubt!

thanks for the suggestion, I might go there with him but not for the business meeting I think....

Oriental looks like the top choice.

Le Bouchon for the best french food for sure. have had 3 different french long term residents in bangkok take me there, each saying its the best french food in the city :o

Le Bouchon for the best french food for sure. have had 3 different french long term residents in bangkok take me there, each saying its the best french food in the city :o

i also agree that le bouchon is very good although i am not french, bonus is the waitress there cute and friendly too

but if u r into good wine, philippe and le normandie r better choices

I made a post about Cest Bon, my favorite here before. The food is great, and they retain an actual French Chef to do the food. It's beautiful, tasty, and a fine dining casual atmosphere. With drinks you can add a couple grand more to the bill, but you should try the prix fixe menu of 9 courses. It gives a small sample of everything. Duck confit, snowfish, foi gras tar tar!! - not scary, but rather seductive. Incredible stuff and the prix fixe is only 1,500 baht or so. Great deal in a great joint. They don't market it much, but it seems to thrive on a mainly high-end Chinese clientele and then a few Frangs. They're beside the President Tower Arcade - somebody new took over the President, but everyone still knows it as that. Then you head straight back thru the driveway and it's right in front of you. Reservations recommended but not necessary.

Here's the link to my old post with a few pix too - they don't lie.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=93121

• 2 weeks later...

Unkownposter - Why are you recommending CHESA? 1) The food is poor and 2) it's swiss cuisine (or meant to be :o

As for the best French restaurants in town, I'd go with Palm on this one - Le Normandie at the Oriental

The food at the Indigo is very poor, I took a group of foodie friends there and no one was impressed.

La Maison was a let down as well, my Pigeon was overcooked... not acceptable when paying top money.

If you want to recommend where everything is perfect (cuisine, wine list, service, ambiance) then Le Normandie is the one!

Unkownposter - Why are you recommending CHESA? 1) The food is poor and 2) it's swiss cuisine (or meant to be :o

As for the best French restaurants in town, I'd go with Palm on this one - Le Normandie at the Oriental

The food at the Indigo is very poor, I took a group of foodie friends there and no one was impressed.

La Maison was a let down as well, my Pigeon was overcooked... not acceptable when paying top money.

If you want to recommend where everything is perfect (cuisine, wine list, service, ambiance) then Le Normandie is the one!

If they are french go with the best and most extensive wine list, who could fail to be impressed by Le Normandie

I recommend Chesa because other chefs hang out there on their day off.

• 2 months later...

Le Normandie at The Oriental.....hands down the best.

Personally, I find hotels great for a buffet but just don't enjoy their specialty restaurants, so for French I would recommend Philippe's Suk Soi 39.

Philippe is a first class chef and always on hand to offer advice should it be required.

Cost, 2 x 3 course (steaks) plus a bottle of plonk @ 6,200 Baht, well worth it.

Great deserts as well!