Tt&t ( Maxnet)

monty

And it ain't working properly :o

My internet really is very bad today, an been trying to find why.

Did a tracert on Thaivisa and got this:

C:\Users\>tracert -d www.thaivisa.com

Tracing route to thaivisa.com [203.174.84.82]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 3 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1

2 36 ms 36 ms 38 ms 10.122.20.249

3 37 ms 39 ms 38 ms 58.147.0.20

4 37 ms 38 ms 36 ms 10.122.20.254

5 41 ms 40 ms 41 ms 192.168.10.13

6 * * * Request timed out.

7 40 ms 38 ms 37 ms 58.147.0.22

8 358 ms 361 ms 561 ms 218.100.47.246

9 358 ms 358 ms * 218.100.47.2

10 359 ms 361 ms 361 ms 218.189.23.145

11 365 ms 368 ms * 218.189.8.172

12 * * * Request timed out.

13 * * * Request timed out.

14 * * * Request timed out.

15 428 ms 438 ms 432 ms 218.189.96.26

16 * * 1327 ms 202.64.4.5

17 * * 496 ms 192.169.32.65

18 680 ms 810 ms 989 ms 192.169.34.137

19 249 ms 250 ms 253 ms 203.120.91.21

20 * 1103 ms 1103 ms 202.42.44.146

21 208 ms 205 ms * 203.174.84.82

22 215 ms 222 ms 219 ms 203.174.84.82

Huh, 20 hops to Singapore???

Hop nr.8 is the first where things go wrong, with ping times of over 500 msec. (normally Thaivisa pings at 70 msec or so)

Did a whois for 218.100.47.246 and got this:

inetnum: 218.100.46.0 - 218.100.47.255

netname: TTGN-NET1

descr: Triple T Global Net , Internet Exchange & Gateway , Thailand

Triple T (TT&T, getit?), what is that...

Checked the latest internet connectivity map at nectec, and indeed TT&T has it's own gateway, along their connection to the CAT gateway.

inetmap082007.gif

Nothing get's routed through the CAT IIG, everything goes through their own gateway...

The second problem seems to be hop nr. 20 with pings of over 1000 msec. The IP seems to be owned by Pacific internet Hong Kong...

inetnum: 202.64.4.0 - 202.64.4.255

netname: BACKBONE

descr: Primary and Second link IP

admin-c: PN2-AP

tech-c: PN2-AP

remarks: Internet Service Provider

remarks: ####################################

remarks: # Please send abuse and port probe #

remarks: # email to [email protected] #

remarks: # and [email protected] #

remarks: ####################################

Bloody slow methinks for a backbone connection. If the ping times are anything to go by, it looks to be a satellite link!

What a mess, half of the sites I try to access don't work, and the ones which work are bloody slow...

Well, at the moment (13:26) things start to speed up, ping times getting slowly normal again, and previously unaccesible sites start to come through again.

Actually, I'm a half full glass kind of guy, so I guess TT&T moving away from CAT's monopolistic gateway and running their own, will hopefully improve things in the future!

It's the first time I saw their gateway pop up in a tracert, so we can expect some more hick-ups in the near future...

It looks like currently TT&T's Maxnet has a 400 meg link to the CAT gateway, 155 meg direct link to Singapore (VSNL) and 622 brand spanking new meg's through their own gateway (which itself seems to have a 45 meg backup connection to CSloxinfo!)

Let's wait and see :o

P.S. Their lovely brand new gateway is not blocking youtube (yet :D)

Guest Reimar

Using PingPlotter to trace to TV Singapore the average time is 51 ms (!) on True Public and on TRUE leased Line as well!

15 hops to SG!

Pinging thaivisa.com [203.174.84.82] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 203.174.84.82: bytes=32 time=128ms TTL=51

Reply from 203.174.84.82: bytes=32 time=129ms TTL=51

Reply from 203.174.84.82: bytes=32 time=127ms TTL=51

Reply from 203.174.84.82: bytes=32 time=125ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 203.174.84.82:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 125ms, Maximum = 129ms, Average = 127ms

Better now! Before the changes it used to be around 70 msec, quite normall compared to reimar's ping because of the extra distance/hops in getting from Pattaya to Bangkok first!

This morning pings were over 1000 msec :o

Mine is working almost normally.

Speeds are as advertised, response times are indeed a tad slower then before (Thaivisa pings at 150 msec instead of 70 msec before)

Speakeasy Chicago test:

Last Result:

Download Speed: 217 kbps (27.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 89 kbps (11.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Thaivisa speed test

Last Result:

Download Speed: 243 kbps (30.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 91 kbps (11.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

I'm on Maxnet 256/128 premier, 1166 Baht/month

No ports are blocked, P2P working normally as well as all the other weird stuff I do :o

Whatever they are up to its hardly a professional job. Any ISP that cannot shield its internal IP addresses is really not doing its job properly. Unfortunately its us punters who pay the price. Inet performance has been good for me on Monday and Tuesday and Okish today but my java trading app is now stuffed with ping times nearly half of what they were yesterday.....Im now stumped by this.....Talking to TT&T is about as much use as a chocolate teapot......

Only reporting :o

Actually it is a bit strange, since other members living within a few hundred meters report bad connections as well.

Maybe they're scared of me?

Or maybe because I'm still on one of their old packages (Maxnet@life)...

Who knows!

And yes, I wholeheartedly agree their customer service is waaay off. They have no clue at all of what is happening within their own company!

That's why I gave up calling, and just try to find myself what's wrong, by doing tracerts and whois's and seeing where things go haywire...

Or maybe because I'm still on one of their old packages (Maxnet@life)...

Monty, i switched (based on the recommendation "tis connection mut betta for your village") from Premier 1024/512 to Indy 512/256 and i have indeed less problems but still problems galore :o

as i'm not an internet wizzard like you i work by trial and error. for long hours every day i have to use the tedious method of copying a URL, close my browser (Opera) restart the browser and the site loads. if i click within this site on another link nothing happens except "request queued...". to get to this link i have to copy it, close the browser... see above.

any explanation, help from your side? thanks in advance.

Don't think there is anything you can do. Maxnet is completely hosed these days. Lots of timeouts in Bangkok. I wish they would forget about saving face and hire some farangs with proper skills and get their act together. It's the same every time they change anything, trial and error until they hit paydirt and it works. In the meantime, crap service for everybody, and nobody cares :o

Guest Reimar

Today at 13.50 h I got this connections:

Thaivisa Speedtest

Download Speed: 889 kbps (111.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 407 kbps (50.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

ADSL Thailand

Download Speed: 2150 kbps (268.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 420 kbps (52.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Los Angeles

Download Speed: 114 kbps (14.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 411 kbps (51.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Dallas TX

Download Speed: 144 kbps (18 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 412 kbps (51.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Chicago

Download Speed: 1943 kbps (242.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 367 kbps (45.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Atlanta

Download Speed: 1809 kbps (226.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 390 kbps (48.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

The tracret to TV Singapore:

today quite slow just 103 ms for Roundtrip with PingPlotter!

The interestimng things is that the connection to the US-Werst Coast is very slow but to the US East Coast is fast!

Maxnet is working okay today here in Chanthaburi speed-wise, but Youtube. which was okay this morning, is now blocked again. This Youtube thing is starting to annoy me..

It had been working here (Northeast) for the past few days also, this morning included. But it's now blocked again on my Maxnet connection. It's so nice to have these moralistic people safeguarding our morals.

gateway? more like a mousehole.... or an...ok shan't go there.

also their IP addresses wander all over the place. There are some sites I need to login to that track IPs and get emails that my accounts have been compromised but it's just me with lots of different country Ips! :-) welcome to MouseNet. Wish was back in CM with a few stray wifi signals.

rych

Does anyone know why secure connections (https) have become so slow/unreliable with MaxNet over the last 6 months?

Even on good days when http pages are loading fine as soon as I switch to https only 1 in about 5 or more pages loads straight away and for the rest I sit waiting maybe 10+ seconds for a https page to load or the page load times out. I appreciate that https takes more server resources but I have never noticed such a huge difference between http and https page load times before the last few months with MaxNet.

When I travel around TL and I use hotel/internet cafes I have never experinced this https lag (-even in Savanaket!) so wonder why the fastest basic 1024/512 MaxNet package is so cr@p over https?

Unfortunately where I am living, MaxNet is as good as it gets, so I can only hope that changing to MaxNet Premier, 256/128 or 512/128 as I don't get anywhere near the physical maximum, will reduce this problem and wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar?

Unfortunately where I am living, MaxNet is as good as it gets, so I can only hope that changing to MaxNet Premier, 256/128 or 512/128 as I don't get anywhere near the physical maximum, will reduce this problem and wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar?

based on a recommendation from an "insider" i changed from Premier to 'el cheapo' Indy and have a better service. better is of course relative. the service is still shite² :o

based on a recommendation from an "insider" i changed from Premier to 'el cheapo' Indy and have a better service. better is of course relative. the service is still shite² :o

I can't find the emoticon for a grown man being reduced to tears...as I was thinking O'Premier just had to better than El cheapo!

What I find strange is that now even after midnight it doesn't seem to get much better, as a https page is loading its stop-start-stop-start and it takes the best part of a minute to load a large page and I am not talking about images either - just text!

After about a dozen phonecalls and me telling them they could save some time and replay all the old recorded ones, I got excited when I saw my IP address change outside the usual range of 222.123.X.X to 117.X.X.X for the first time today but still waiting for the miracle to happen...

I know I shouldn't complain too much as I remember the "pre-ADSL" days when if you were outside BKK sending an email was traumatic!

I'm thinking of moving next year and I'd love to know what areas of Bangkok, Pattaya and anywhere else that might have the electronic 'holy grail' of a cost-effective and reliable internet service. They must exist but how do you find them - thats the $64K question?

Saturday was unusable ( i wondered whether the referendum was purely coincidental), but today has been about normal, but the https situation means no access to hotmail.

though, i have just run a check using other https sites (banks etc) and i get through very quickly - same speed as http site. so is it a hotmail thing only ?

Maxnet Premier 512/256.

I can't find the emoticon for a grown man being reduced to tears...as I was thinking O'Premier just had to better than El cheapo!

i am not a wizzard but the last 2 months forced me to try out all kind of "tricks" and some of them do work.

example: TV-Forum loads with Firefox but if i click on an individual thread nothing happens except "request queued....". then i hit the escape button, right click on the individual thread then lect click "copy link address". start another browser (Opera) and copy and paste and the thread loads. it's a sh*tty and tedious process :D but most of the time it works.

Sometimes, when MaxNet grinds to a halt, I've found it's worth changing to the following DNS settings instead of using the automatically assigned ones.

203.130.159.20 dnscache1.ji-net.com

203.130.159.21 dnscache2.ji-net.com

My cheap @home256 MaxNet log-in validates me to use these OK, even though I believe ji-net.com is a more expensive service.

Possible theory as to why this works is that when there's serious network congestion (which is quite often), network management controls are progressively applied to the DNSs, with the ones assigned to cheap users being turned down first.

. + SJ

I have TT&T MaxNet 2048/512 (the basic home package for B1000/mo) in Jomtien and just got this from the Speakeasy test to San Francisco (and similar to Los Angeles):

Last Result:

Download Speed: 1751 kbps (218.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 157 kbps (19.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Pinging thaivisa.com gave me:

Pinging thaivisa.com [203.174.84.82] with 32 bytes of data

Reply from 203.174.84.82: bytes=32 time=81ms TTL=51

Reply from 203.174.84.82: bytes=32 time=80ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 203.174.84.82:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 80ms, Maximum = 81ms, Average = 80ms

Granted this is at 2:50am, but I've been online most of the previous afternoon and evening, and had equally fast downloads.

I was out of the country for a week, to return on the 20th, so maybe I simply missed the slowdowns referred to above?