I Need A Coal Starter - Something To Get My Coals Going On The Bbq

I remember seeing a device where you put coal, newspaper and a lit match to get a few coals burning so that the rest of the bbq was easy to start. It could also be used for just a small bbq in a big grill - hard to get a little bit of coal going in a big area -

It almost looks like a bit ice scoop - does anyone know what I'm writing about?

If it exists here, I'd like to buy it.

put some petrol or anything flammable over the charcoal - but if thais can do without any devices means the quality of charcoal is high (is dry and properly processed) and you need only a paper and maybe a small fan to start the fire

I remember seeing a device where you put coal, newspaper and a lit match to get a few coals burning so that the rest of the bbq was easy to start. It could also be used for just a small bbq in a big grill - hard to get a little bit of coal going in a big area -

It almost looks like a bit ice scoop - does anyone know what I'm writing about?

If it exists here, I'd like to buy it.

"It almost looks like a bit ice scoop - does anyone know what I'm writing about? "

Firelighters ???

Thats what there called in UK.

BT

The little grills that Thais put there chicken in; you know hinged, and kinda squash the meat in the middle? Stick the charcoal in there and light it on your stove, nothing beats propane for starting a quick fire.

I'll second that! It advances the coal past the smokey stage onto the white hot stage where your chicken can burn just nicely!

The little grills that Thais put there chicken in; you know hinged, and kinda squash the meat in the middle? Stick the charcoal in there and light it on your stove, nothing beats propane for starting a quick fire.

I'll second that! It advances the coal past the smokey stage onto the white hot stage where your chicken can burn just nicely!

Interesting tip. Just be sure the stove is outside or a strong fan blowing or could be a victim of CO poisoning. :o

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/466.html

Most Thai kitchens have plenty of air to the free world or a door to keep it from the rest of the house. Yes Carbon Monoxide would be a concern if the kitchen is anywhere but close to outside and not well ventilated. I stand corrected.

You dont need any technical aids to light charcoal, This method guaranteed to work safely everytime even in the rain!!

1/ place barbecue in front garden or driveway,

2/place a bag of charcoal and a six pack of Carlton Bitter next to the barbecue,

3/Stand and gaze intently at the Barbecue

4/ Guaranteed within 2 minutes a queenslander will turn up !! tell you what you are doing wrong, light your barbie, complain about your lousy choice of beer and then fall asleep drunk in the corner :o Nignoy

You dont need any technical aids to light charcoal, This method guaranteed to work safely everytime even in the rain!!

1/ place barbecue in front garden or driveway,

2/place a bag of charcoal and a six pack of Carlton Bitter next to the barbecue,

3/Stand and gaze intently at the Barbecue

4/ Guaranteed within 2 minutes a queenslander will turn up !! tell you what you are doing wrong, light your barbie, complain about your lousy choice of beer and then fall asleep drunk in the corner :o Nignoy

You are SOOOO right!!! :D :D

However on days when Qldrs are in short supply......

You can get lighting fuel from Foodland and Tue Value (A misnomer if ever there was one!)

DON'T use petrol unless you want to blow the place apart!

Sprinkle any paraffin based fuel on the briquets or Charcoal just before lighting - don't leave it to soak in or come back in a hour the fuel might have vaporised and you'll get an EXPLOSION - THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD USE PETROL.

Place the coals on some kindling - scrunched up newspaper - or as above coconut husks etc etc.If the charcoal is in a vague pyramid shape the air will funnel through it and take hold. The ket to lightring a BBQ is getting air to flow up through the coals

Once the coals are a white colour you can spread them around.

It is of course true that you don't really need lighting fuel but it can take the hassle out of things