Ais Gprs

Gary A

My Ipstar REALLY stinks. I have been using my GPRS through Bluetooth the past couple of days. It has NEVER been this fast before. Maybe they have made some changes? Maybe it is just a fluke, I don't know but if it continues to work this well, It will be bye bye Ipstar.

Wow your north and GPRS is faster then 25k. It was always turned down before. you had to go to bangkok or pukit to get any speed and at the same price. Then when edge started my GPRS when to 5k and never came back so I had to dump it. I have ipstar sat 256/128 and its been working great we up link and down link to the same ToT site north of bangkok. I see no reason your ipstar should not provide solid 256k downloads like mine. If your using 1024 I guess 850 should be norm. but 512 and 256 run max out in fact sometimes alittle more because the control which limits it runs alittle hot. What kind of set up due you have could be NIC settings.

Maybe they have upgraded your area to Edge!

If your phone/modem is edge capable, this should give a pretty decent increase in speed!

On edge the data still tends to come through in bursts, but if these bursts are 150 kbps instead of 48 kbps, your average speeds goes way up!

My average speed when using Edge is pretty much always over 100kbps! More often then not I get 140-170 kbps. When in a gprs only area it drops steeply to something like 30 kbps..

Wow your north and GPRS is faster then 25k. It was always turned down before. you had to go to bangkok or pukit to get any speed and at the same price. Then when edge started my GPRS when to 5k and never came back so I had to dump it. I have ipstar sat 256/128 and its been working great we up link and down link to the same ToT site north of bangkok. I see no reason your ipstar should not provide solid 256k downloads like mine. If your using 1024 I guess 850 should be norm. but 512 and 256 run max out in fact sometimes alittle more because the control which limits it runs alittle hot. What kind of set up due you have could be NIC settings.

I have had this sh!t system for several years. I started out with the original Ipstar and when it got really bad, I changed to TOT Ipstar. Got 512/256 for the same price as I was paying for 256/128. It was pretty good for a while and then slowed way down. The service people gave up and told me it was because of the rainy season, BULLCRAP! I then up graded to 1024/512 because they said that was the only way to get more speed. I couldn't tell the difference. I have now gone down to 256/128. I told them that if I was going to have poor service it may as well be the cheapest service. Sure enough, the 256/128 stinks the same as the higher priced service but at least it is cheaper. All settings have been fiddled with and all they can do is to make it totally quit. Sometimes it isn't bad but more and more often it is no better than dial up. Since I can't get a phone line out here in the boonies, GPRS is the only other option.

So I think you are saying that 256 works as well as other pack so something is holding the overall speed down. If it can't maint. 256 and setting are rigth and it did work at one time then something is broke somewhere. I am sure you have good signal when you go to the home page of the sat modem. Norm any signal that gets data to ya works well it just drops out faster when the clouds move in if it starts out low. Does your PC connect dir. to the modems wan connection or are you using router and switch. Do you have that VoIP unit.?

edit add My GPRS modem is a GPRS only so its not going to get any better.

Edited by RKASA

No CAT in your area? They are not exactly advertising their CDMA EV-DO service - may be worth checking.

I have GPRS/EDGE and it's tolerable but still pretty ###### slow.

Edit: Wow, didn't know dam_n is a swear word :o ... somehow that sentence looks a lot naughtier with all the #### :D

Edited by nikster

I'm in Don Muang and it's pretty slow here.

By the way is anybody else getting the configuration message sent to them say more than 3 times a day?

I just ignore it but I'm guaranteed to get 2 message in quick succession from them all the time.

No CAT in your area? They are not exactly advertising their CDMA EV-DO service - may be worth checking.

I have GPRS/EDGE and it's tolerable but still pretty ###### slow.

Edit: Wow, didn't know dam_n is a swear word :o ... somehow that sentence looks a lot naughtier with all the #### :D