Thailand Prices Dropping

Yep - see this link.

It says 2005-06 figures down 2.4 %

Has the usual nonesense about the 'political situation' and even bloody 'bird flu' as the cause - laughable. But interesting that this comes from a "property" web site. And no denying that these are their figures - not from naysayers..

TG2

http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/article..._id=84&cid=

(if that link doesn't work go their main wsebsite. There is a graph with other Asian countries as well.

Yep - see this link.

Has the usual nonesense about the 'political situation' and even bloody 'bird flu' as the cause - laughable. But interesting that this comes from a "property" web site. And no denying that these are their figures - not from naysayers..

TG2

(if that link doesn't work go their main wsebsite. There is a graph with other Asian countries as well.

as far as i see the prices are not dropping in samui ,if anything there going up....

Yep - see this link.

TG2

as far as i see the prices are not dropping in samui ,if anything there going up....

Yes, I'd agree with that.

Although I notice there are more projects with smaller properties (e.g. apartments and condos as opposed to luxury villas) being developed in areas that have traditionally gone for luxury beachfront villas (e.g. Phuket, Samui), which obviously cost less... but, from the activity I've seen from 1Rai.com's member agents, I'd say that prices definitely haven't dropped in general over Thailand.

Sure, the property market is less active and, as a result, I'm sure that some owners are telling agents they'll listen to lower offers than they originally thought, but I think that this is a very small fraction of the market and it is outweighed by new developments... still in high demand.

Yep - see this link.

TG2

Although I notice there are more projects with smaller properties (e.g. apartments and condos as opposed to luxury villas) being developed in areas that have traditionally gone for luxury beachfront villas (e.g. Phuket, Samui), which obviously cost less... but, from the activity I've seen from 1Rai.com's member agents, I'd say that prices definitely haven't dropped in general over Thailand.

Sure, the property market is less active and, as a result, I'm sure that some owners are telling agents they'll listen to lower offers than they originally thought, but I think that this is a very small fraction of the market and it is outweighed by new developments... still in high demand.

Aye right - of course you are giving an unbiased view :o

As Mandy rice Davis once said, "He would say that wouldn't he"

I would answer but the pig I see flying past my 30th floor window is more interesting

Yep - see this link.

TG2

I would answer but the pig I see flying past my 30th floor window is more interesting

I really try hard not to respond to this type of comment, because it's not really helpful to anyone. However...

Why exactly would you think I would be biased towards house prices going up or down? I'm not an agent and my business does not revolve around commissions. All 1Rai.com does is allow many agents to put listings on our site, and charge them money for the privelege. Doing this of course puts me in an excellent position to measure the market - without doubt in a better position than a global property overview - because we track exactly what people are looking at and we track what sort of properties go onto the market.

Our tracking shows that Samui prices are not going down, they are going up, and people are still enquiring - and some of them are buying. But one one thing is for sure - average Koh Samui prices are not falling.

My response was an informed one as it's based on consumer and agent activity, which may not be in accordance with "global statistical measurement", but it is what is happening, so it is a given fact.

I really try hard not to respond to this type of comment, because it's not really helpful to anyone. However...

Why exactly would you think I would be biased towards house prices going up or down? I'm not an agent and my business does not revolve around commissions. All 1Rai.com does is allow many agents to put listings on our site, and charge them money for the privelege. Doing this of course puts me in an excellent position to measure the market - without doubt in a better position than a global property overview - because we track exactly what people are looking at and we track what sort of properties go onto the market.

Our tracking shows that Samui prices are not going down, they are going up, and people are still enquiring - and some of them are buying. But one one thing is for sure - average Koh Samui prices are not falling.

My response was an informed one as it's based on consumer and agent activity, which may not be in accordance with "global statistical measurement", but it is what is happening, so it is a given fact.

It could be like qantas.com web site where only the most expensive tickets are left standing. Return Sydney-London economy is 6000$ while everybody + dog pays 1600-2000$ anywhere else, of course, including the very same Qantas flights too.

So, someone monitoring activity of that site may have stats what people are inquiring (certainly, 90% of clicks would be about London or Los Angeles), even some buying, and then tells us airline prices are still high and steady.

As usual, unrealistically priced properties end up sitting on the net for long time, for years and years (some BKK properties in their description have "only minutes to expressway to Don Muang, BKK International airport").

What does it cost a seller to post an inflated price property on the net?

Does it prevent them from selling it for less in real life?

Edited by think_too_mut

It could be like qantas.com web site where only the most expensive tickets are left standing. Return Sydney-London economy is 6000$ while everybody + dog pays 1600-2000$ anywhere else, of course, including the very same Qantas flights too.

So, someone monitoring activity of that site may have stats what people are inquiring (certainly, 90% of clicks would be about London or Los Angeles), even some buying, and then tells us airline prices are still high and steady.

As usual, unrealistically priced properties end up sitting on the net for long time, for years and years (some BKK properties in their description have "only minutes to expressway to Don Muang, BKK International airport").

What does it cost a seller to post an inflated price property on the net?

Does it prevent them from selling it for less in real life?

people seem to inflate the price of there home and if they get enquireries then they can drop the price ,un like most of the world theres no set prices for certain areas so you have nothing to compare it to

"Thailand. The sooner elections are called, and Thailand is returned to democracy, the better it will be for the property market and the economy as a whole. The fate of Thailand’s property market hinges on the junta. If the junta prolongs military rule, the market will suffer. "

Says it all does it not?

"Thailand. The sooner elections are called, and Thailand is returned to democracy, the better it will be for the property market and the economy as a whole. The fate of Thailand’s property market hinges on the junta. If the junta prolongs military rule, the market will suffer. "

Says it all does it not?

It's a furphy, to obscure the real, tectonic problem: no more 1 year visa (with subsequent extensions) if one has bought a 3mil+ new condo.

And 90 days stay over 6 months then out for 6 months.

Had those 2 things remained unchanged, market would have been livelier than it is now.

It can easily happen that one owns a condo he can not live in - or, worse, may never be allowed to see it after some mishap.

Edited by think_too_mut

Says it all does it not?

It's a furphy, to obscure the real, tectonic problem: no more 1 year visa (with subsequent extensions) if one has bought a 3mil+ new condo.

And 90 days stay over 6 months then out for 6 months.

Had those 2 things remained unchanged, market would have been livelier than it is now.

It can easily happen that one owns a condo he can not live in - or, worse, may never be allowed to see it after some mishap.

Exactly. All this other crap about politics and 'bird flu' or whatever is a smokescreen.

Yep - see this link.

TG2

Well you would say that - are you just thick or a conman?

Yep - see this link.

TG2

The Property business publices anything as it can be viewed as a buying opportunity,

so prices are rising .. quick buy.. they have dropped a bit.. quick buy...

I will never hold assets in Los

Wow - did I deserve that? Like I say, I base my facts through figures. I do understand the figures and I don't fix them, so I would have to answer "neither".

That's it from me...

dont take it personal.....from a guy who lives in Rent in Singapore..

The Property business publices anything as it can be viewed as a buying opportunity,

so prices are rising .. quick buy.. they have dropped a bit.. quick buy...

I will never hold assets in Los

So I guess you've been missing out on the 20%+ annualised returns available in certain Thai stock market funds too... :o

BTW Please don't justify this stance with the recent 15% or so drop. i.e you knew the fall was coming, so you missed out on 20% p.a for the last few years to avoid a correction of 15%. Still up YTD as well. :D

The thing about house prices - and this applies the world over - is that NO ONE can predict where they are headed. Research has shown that the banks, agents, analysts have a miserable record when it comes to predicting them (not much better than brokers are at predicting the markets!). Anything that relies heavily on human emotion in the decision process is always going to be impossible to predict.

I think all the above issues play a part in influencing the market, but the overall picture is far too complicated to indicate which way things will go. Like any investment, if you buy for the long term, you won't mind the short term corrections. If you hop about trying to catch each wave, you can lose out big time!

Edited by Charma