• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tytus; as part as a well diversified portfolio a metals/mining fund and a commodities fund (neither are just in gold) seem a prudent diversifier to me.

Just betting on gold is a different story all together - and a thing I do not do. Hope you did not get too burned and can still afford happy hour at Cat House when I am back! :o

Cheers!

Three hours into the market here in the U.S. and oil continues its meteoric rise (up nearly another $1/bbl today so far) , but gold is not moving with oil and is actually down today! Could it be that golds recent move up was just a technical move like someone here posted :o

Three hours into the market here in the U.S. and oil continues its meteoric rise (up nearly another $1/bbl today so far) , but gold is not moving with oil and is actually down today! Could it be that golds recent move up was just a technical move like someone here posted :o

Could very well be only a technical move, but if that's so, that breakout projects to 740ish spot price. Nothing's ever certain. Only probabilities.

Three hours into the market here in the U.S. and oil continues its meteoric rise (up nearly another $1/bbl today so far) , but gold is not moving with oil and is actually down today! Could it be that golds recent move up was just a technical move like someone here posted :D

Could very well be only a technical move, but if that's so, that breakout projects to 740ish spot price. Nothing's ever certain. Only probabilities.

I was just taking a shot at the gold bugs :D Given the wild week we are in for next week (FOMC meeting, financial data and guidence, and triple witching options expiration ) it wouldn't surprise me to see gold go up or down by $30 or more. I just turned on CNBC while I was posting this and heard that Mr. Putin has just disbanded the Russian Parliment (see what you guys in Thailand started) so all bets are off :o . I have felt for some time now that Russia was positioning itself to use Iran as a proxy against the U.S. seeing how the U.S. was bogged down in Iraq, I certainly hope my gut is wrong on this. In any event the potential destabilization of the Russian republic (federation of states or whatever they call themselves these days) is very bad news indeed. I certainly would advise anyone with exposure to Russia or for that matter Eastern Europe to be very, very careful and closely follow the events as they unfold! Lets hope this is not as bad as it sounds.

Three hours into the market here in the U.S. and oil continues its meteoric rise (up nearly another $1/bbl today so far) , but gold is not moving with oil and is actually down today! Could it be that golds recent move up was just a technical move like someone here posted :D

I was just taking a shot at the gold bugs :D Given the wild week we are in for next week (FOMC meeting, financial data and guidence, and triple witching options expiration ) it wouldn't surprise me to see gold go up or down by $30 or more. I just turned on CNBC while I was posting this and heard that Mr. Putin has just disbanded the Russian Parliment (see what you guys in Thailand started) so all bets are off :o . I have felt for some time now that Russia was positioning itself to use Iran as a proxy against the U.S. seeing how the U.S. was bogged down in Iraq, I certainly hope my gut is wrong on this. In any event the potential destabilization of the Russian republic (federation of states or whatever they call themselves these days) is very bad news indeed. I certainly would advise anyone with exposure to Russia or for that matter Eastern Europe to be very, very careful and closely follow the events as they unfold! Lets hope this is not as bad as it sounds.

For once I agree with you - the last thing we need now is an unstable Russia. However, dissoving of the government was widely expected (and it was not a military coup) - the surprise here is the choice of new prime minister. It had been expected that Ivanov would be named new PM in the tradtion that Yelsin established. Now the question is whether Zubkov (a close ally of Putin) is there to ensure stability in the run up to presidential elections, or whether there is to be some real competition for the office of president.

I'm watching a report on channel 7 about gold theft & fraud and it started me thinking about gold...

My partner told me that when she was young her aunt used to buy 1 Baht of gold for about B800 but now it's worth B12-15,000(I've no idea!)

ur partner aunt bought gold in last 25years and more ago.

My mom also bought gold 150$/ounce in around 1970(may be)after 10yrs 1981(record highest price 850$ ounce).you can learn gold history detail at www.thebulliondesk.com.

according to my experiences on gold investment is like gambling... but it more save than gambling if you invest gold for along time.

Gold always going up when smell of war,minning strike,bank sold out their assets,dollar fall,oil price& mideast problems,opec news.

one of my beleiving on gold investment,,,good for invester but it is death investment so not good for country business.

london bullion gold company is now openning it 's branchs(e-bullion) as people(specticulators)invest gold more than last 2yrs..

Maket is still booming but who know when blast?

may I know Weight scale of baht Vs ounce.

we can see only $/ounce for gold market price(LME & NYME).

ZANAS

10% metals/commodities/mining companies seems to me as a good diversification tool in a broad portfolio. Personally I hold 10% metals/mining stocks (fund: VGPMX) and 10% commodities futures (ETF: DJP). Cheers!

Are these positions you foresee holding indefinitely? If not, what would be your cue to get out? I hold Gold futures worth the equivalent value of my $USD cash. It's up like 7% since I bought it 10 days ago, and I'm already tempted to unload it.

Do gold futures settle in cash or with physical delivery? Maybe you can hold them, take delivery and roll around in gold bars.

I don't have any particular interest in Gold, but for awhile now, it's been the other side of the $USD trade. I was just looking to hedge risk for my $USD cash holdings.

Yes, I believe you can accept physical delivery, if you make prior arrangements. Some expense is involved and I don't know the details. Settlement at expiry (I have the Oct contracts) is in cash. I doubt very much I will be holding it then. If I am, I will have rolled out to another contract as late October nears.

I was joking. I didn't even realize that physical delivery was an option for gold futures. Now that I've looked it up, light sweet crude on Nymex is a physical settlement which also suprises me. Learn something new every day.

I think futures are the way to play gold. Even people who caught the recent $650 dip in August are up only single digits with physical gold. That's a lot less exciting than I thought for such a big move. Even a run to $800 would be only 12.6% from here.

buying gold in this time,,,you can not catch good profit,,,just 20 or 30 $ /ounce will come into your pocket,if you like to more profit,,,you must study more & more about gold history,current political situration,business news(live),illegal export or import gold according to the price gap between inside ur country& others countries.

Please,do not joking on this forum as all like to know real knowledge of business....thanks ZANAS

"london bullion gold company is now openning it 's branchs(e-bullion) as people(specticulators)invest gold more than last 2yrs..

Maket is still booming but who know when blast?

may I know Weight scale of baht Vs ounce."

Taking the last first, the weight of a baht of gold is almost half an ounce.

Gold is available in gold shops in Thailand in an almost-pure form, in one baht, and five baht, and ten baht bars.

It is worth paying the extra 100 bahts of cash for the bit of paper that the gold shop will supply that records their guarantee. With that paper, that gold shop will buy back the bar in the future at the price of gold on that day in the future.

The gold bar, and the piece of paper, in a pretty little bag, takes up very little space in your safety deposit box.

Since we only buy gold as the least-risky (and most portable) way of holding our savings, some of us prefer to hold our gold in this way. (It is called 'holding physical gold').

There seems to be no doubt that the financial world HATES gold, since it gives people an 'out' from fiat money (paper currency). Every time one of us buys a gold bar, we are, in effect, expressing our lack of complete faith in fiat money and giving ourselves an ability to wriggle from the clutches of the banks and treasuries etc.

Be aware that holding gold in any other way than in physical gold increases your risks of losing that 'wriggle room'.

If a Government whose currency is in dire trouble wants to, it can (as the American Government did, three generations ago) require all holders of gold to sell their gold to the Government at a fixed price.

ETF holdings would be a sitting duck. And so would bullion-bank holdings.

There is a debate on at present as to the danger of that happening again.

Personally, I think that the risk is only slight for the Yanks.

But I think the risk is as near to zero as it is possible to get for the Thais.

The Thais sat on sidewalks and stopped their second-time-elected PM functioning just because he was turning out to be a bit of a chancer who was cutting the middle-class out of their positions of privileged access to money and power.

So they are the sort of people who would certainly refuse to 'sell in' their gold.

And any Thai Government (whether elected or just popularly acclaimed) will know that and not 'lose face' and 'office' by demanding the impossible.

That is just my 'take' on the situation, and we can debate it (but would have to be careful to keep within the rules of the forum about you-know-what, as we would soon be into discussing basic cultural differences between Thailand and the world's capitalistic countries).

Hopefully, this will come tomorrow. if it doesn't I'll be closing out anyway.

Hopefully, this will come tomorrow. if it doesn't I'll be closing out anyway.

Barron's had an article about a gold carry trade that few know about. Very interesting reading and the point was if gold rallies fast, covering the carry will spike it really far really fast.

Apparently central banks lend gold out at very low interest rates to get at least some return on it. The bullion banks who borrow it at very low rates sell it and find high yield investments. Then they buy it back when they need to return it. Works very well with declining or flat gold prices. Or even slightly increasing prices.

No idea how much volume this represents, but interesting to know.

Here's the Barron's article, but may require a membership:

http://online.barrons.com/article/SB118954...=barrons/6month

In case that doesn't come up, here's a very old webpage that mentions it starting about the 4th paragraph:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/north/north106.html

A mention of the carry trade:

http://www.galmarley.com/FAQs_pages/other_...20Carry%20Trade

http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_01/puplava042801.html

Edited by Carmine6

I have just been to Udon and the gold price on the windows of the gold shops was 11,550/11,650.

That is roughly where it was a year ago.

So it isn't that gold is up (as yet), just that the dollar is down.

Actually, I find it frustrating that I only get to know the Thai gold price in baht when I go to Udon. (My local newspaper shop doesn't sell the Bangkok Post.)

Does anyone have a link to a site that quotes the Thailand gold price, please?

I have just been to Udon and the gold price on the windows of the gold shops was 11,550/11,650.

That is roughly where it was a year ago.

So it isn't that gold is up (as yet), just that the dollar is down.

Actually, I find it frustrating that I only get to know the Thai gold price in baht when I go to Udon. (My local newspaper shop doesn't sell the Bangkok Post.)

Does anyone have a link to a site that quotes the Thailand gold price, please?

http://www.goldtraders.or.th/index_en.php

The US Federal Reserve ceased publishing M3 data on 23 March 2006, with the last published data indicating a year-on-year growth rate of 8.23%.

So I think gold is best investing.

If you're willing to wait a few hours, you're welcome to mine.

As if your position is going to have any impact on the gold price lmao .

JB

The US Federal Reserve ceased publishing M3 data on 23 March 2006, with the last published data indicating a year-on-year growth rate of 8.23%.

JB

I think you may have misread something. I never suggested my position would impact any thing. I just got my price 5 minutes ago, and I'm out. For the record, my position was 17% of total contracts traded sofar today in this 24 hour market. Like I said in an earlier post it's an illiquid market, which I hate.

JB

I think you may have misread something. I never suggested my position would impact any thing. I just got my price 5 minutes ago, and I'm out. For the record, my position was 17% of total contracts traded sofar today in this 24 hour market. Like I said in an earlier post it's an illiquid market, which I hate.

Hi lannarebirth

are you trading spot prices? how about silver? you trade that as well?

JB

Hi lannarebirth

are you trading spot prices? how about silver? you trade that as well?

No. I was trading the Oct 07 YG. It is the first metals futures trade I've made, and possibly the last. I have one ,rare, currency trade on, the BPZ7. I trade almost exclusively front month ES. I'm very happy with my brokerage, IB. cheers

For many traders the YG isn't such a great instrument because it tends to be quite illiquid, even in the front month. There is much more liquidity in the regular comex gold contract.

So I learned. My position was about 5% of daily volume. I might take a metal hedge again, but I won't be using the YG I'm pretty sure.

Gold near 28-year peak, targets new highs

Mon 24 Sep 2007, 7:35 GMT

By Lewa Pardomuan

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Gold gained on Monday and hovered near a 28-year high after a weak U.S. dollar spurred buying from investors and speculators, who believed the price could rise further as fundamentals supported the metal.

The physical sector saw jewellers selling gold scrap to Singapore, a centre for bullion trading in Southeast Asia, but dealers also noted early buying from investors as crude oil hovered near record highs

snip

africa.reuters.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Gold price is very much in relation with oil price ( I wonder why).

I told that Gold will hit 13.000 Baht end of this year and we are close to that.

My prediction for next year, gold will hit around 20.000.

Hi all,

Gold price is very much in relation with oil price ( I wonder why).

I told that Gold will hit 13.000 Baht end of this year and we are close to that.

My prediction for next year, gold will hit around 20.000.

I hope you are wrong. I expect that the gold price wil remain firm but if it gets to that level next year there will surely be some very serious problems in the global economy. The recent levels are a sign that there *are* some problems in the global economy (as if we didn't know that already); but the big question is how much worse will it get ? Will the world's central banks snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, or will it be the other way around ? Will continued disbasement of global currencies lead to stagflation and the end of the dollar as we know it (or knew it) ? Or have we simply had a small blip on the (apparently) never-ending rise of asset prices ?