Good Computer Engineer

Binkie

I am just about to go out and kill each and every computer engineer in Pattaya!!! :D

There got that out of my system. :o

Seriously can anyone please put me in touch with a competent computer engineer? I have a business I am trying to run and computer downtime is getting me down. I have tried both Wantana and Liberty. They are both not much assistance to me as they have both been out to try and fix my problem on several occasions and they have solved it temporarily. Neither seems to be able to find out what is happening. So as you can see I am desperate and would like to know who is good for computer maintenance in this town. I understand that many will probably jump to the defence of the 2 companies I have tried however that is not what I want so please reserve that for another thread. Please tell me of a very good and competent engineer with whom you have had good service, please please please. :D

This is a serious plea for help.

Until I read your post I was going to recommend Liberty.

What sort of problem are you having - software or hardware?

In the computer or in peripherals?

Communications problem outside your computer?

Have you also posted in the 'Computer Forum' on this web-site.

I cannot help further, as I am in Saudi, but if you can isolate the area of the problem, I am sure there are people in-Kingdom who can help.

I have used a Thai guy called Kilin for over 10 years without any major problems. Our network is very stable. He can be contacted at 0812953860. Very good English skill and never had a problem he couldn't fix.

Edited by BiggyD

Cheers chaps for the advice. My problem is a weird one. It recurrs and when these people do something it seems to ga away for 2 weeks or so. At the moment my pc will not recognise my F drive (yes you guessed it thats where all of my data is stored. I have replaced 2 hard drives and a power supply and yet today it wraps it's hand in. It appears to be hardware however with the persistence of the problem I am starting to think that it is software. I have original registered copies of Windows XP Pro on my PC's so it shouldn't be that. I have found 1 guy who is coming to look later today.

Wish me luck.

Cheers chaps for the advice. My problem is a weird one. It recurrs and when these people do something it seems to ga away for 2 weeks or so. At the moment my pc will not recognise my F drive (yes you guessed it thats where all of my data is stored. I have replaced 2 hard drives and a power supply and yet today it wraps it's hand in. It appears to be hardware however with the persistence of the problem I am starting to think that it is software. I have original registered copies of Windows XP Pro on my PC's so it shouldn't be that. I have found 1 guy who is coming to look later today.

Wish me luck.

I wish you luck. If you do find someone who knows his way around computers and solves your problem, please, please, let us all know who he (or she) is. Pleeeeeeeeease.

Wish me luck.

Is it your backup drive or a USB drive? My guess is that you have a bad cable or connection. If it's a USB drive, it's quite common for USB ports to fail...I'm having that problem myself right now where some of my USB ports will not work with some of my devices.

Edited by tropo

Is it your backup drive or a USB drive? My guess is that you have a bad cable or connection. If it's a USB drive, it's quite common for USB ports to fail...I'm having that problem myself right now where some of my USB ports will not work with some of my devices.

If it is a USB connection, then I too have had problems. They do not seem to last as long as the older multi-pin types, but as I live in a very dusty place, I have put it down to poor connectivity - even if I do brush-out both parts every time I change connections. There is still room for improvement in this area.

I use an external (USB-connected) hard drive as well as schnullers (flash memory sticks) and camera / phone / other peripherals.

Wish me luck.

For the OP, if the HD disappears from the hardware listings in Windows and the cabling hardware has been replaced, short of the motherboard, the first thing that needs checking is the system BIOS. If any devices aren't detected and registered by the system BIOS at boot up, then no amount of Windows wizardry will find them. Note that some older motherboards may or may not support device selection by jumper on the device despite proclaiming 'auto detect' capabiliies. Even if your mobo is a bit old, get the tech to upgrade the BIOS to the latest manufacturers version.

Trop and HB,

One of the overlooked issues with USB ports are updated drivers. Check for USB driver updates frequently and don't rely on Windows Update to keep you current. When you consider the amount of peripherals that are supposed to seamlessly work when plugged in the same hole, USB support is pretty much forgotten about and taken for granted. There's not much can go wrong with the cable itself.

One of the overlooked issues with USB ports are updated drivers. Check for USB driver updates frequently and don't rely on Windows Update to keep you current. When you consider the amount of peripherals that are supposed to seamlessly work when plugged in the same hole, USB support is pretty much forgotten about and taken for granted. There's not much can go wrong with the cable itself.

I keep my drivers up to date via the support site for my laptop however you would not believe the weird behaviour I have encountered with USB ports. It's a hardware problem for sure. Right now I'm using 7 different USB peripherals (not all at the same time).

Edited by tropo

I had problems with my external hard drives as well. I attached them via a hub that had own power supply. Yet, i could not get more than 1 hd working while the other was not recognized. The secret that no pc wizard found out was that the hds did not get enough "electricity" (sorry I m jst a user). Some guy who sold appliances told me in passing, well you simply dont have enough power to keep both drives working. I bought a different hub with external power supply and all is ok now. So, many hubs are only fine as long as you dont connect more than 1 external hard drive. Sales persons in the shops usually dont know a f... about it.

I had problems with my external hard drives as well. I attached them via a hub that had own power supply. Yet, i could not get more than 1 hd working while the other was not recognized. The secret that no pc wizard found out was that the hds did not get enough "electricity" (sorry I m jst a user). Some guy who sold appliances told me in passing, well you simply dont have enough power to keep both drives working. I bought a different hub with external power supply and all is ok now. So, many hubs are only fine as long as you dont connect more than 1 external hard drive. Sales persons in the shops usually dont know a f... about it.

Good point ff, that's another overlooked issue with USB hardware. The older 1.0 USB and some newer 2.0 USB hardware will not handle certain devices that require higher current (the voltage stays the same) such as larger external hard drives and an external USB power supply is required. I would recommend anyone having a 'fixed' USB hub should make sure it is an 'active' one, ie. has it's own power supply rather than the passive ones that take power from the PC or laptop via the USB cable.

Talking of sales staff that haven't a clue, I was purchasing a cellphone in the UK a few years back and overheard the young sales guys pitch to the lady ahead of me. When she asked why one phone was 5 quid/month higher than the other, the sales guy told her it's because one had more buttons that the other. Needless to say I shopped elsewhere. I would like to think that most sales staff a TukCom are more knowledgeable and if the farang isn't specific and doesn't ask than they assume he knows what he wants. Either way, always ask for a receipt and always confirm their return policy.

I keep my drivers up to date via the support site for my laptop however you would not believe the weird behaviour I have encountered with USB ports. It's a hardware problem for sure. Right now I'm using 7 different USB peripherals (not all at the same time).

That's good enough for your laptop and Windows drivers but may still miss device-specific drivers for your peripherals although one would hope that between MS and the laptop manufacturer, they would have it all covered (don't hold your breath). I use a couple of independent utilities that contact their web-based databases to make sure nothing falls in a crack. Maybe as ff points out, you may have a USB power issue - see other post?

The OP never specified if his invisible HD was internal or external and he hasn't given us an update either. I hope he's not going ahead with his original plan to bump off Pattaya's PC techs as they respond to his desperate calls. He's not getting my geeks contact details that's for sure!

I like a challenge :o

PS = the bios will only detect internal HD not USB, OS manages USB

That's right but

At the moment my pc will not recognise my F drive (yes you guessed it thats where all of my data is stored. I have replaced 2 hard drives and a power supply and yet today it wraps it's hand in.

This from the OP would suggest (to me) that he is talking about replacing internal HD's and PC power supply... but who knows? Anyone checked the local gore-vision for reports of IT guys getting murdered?

That's good enough for your laptop and Windows drivers but may still miss device-specific drivers for your peripherals although one would hope that between MS and the laptop manufacturer, they would have it all covered (don't hold your breath). I use a couple of independent utilities that contact their web-based databases to make sure nothing falls in a crack. Maybe as ff points out, you may have a USB power issue - see other post?

The OP never specified if his invisible HD was internal or external and he hasn't given us an update either. I hope he's not going ahead with his original plan to bump off Pattaya's PC techs as they respond to his desperate calls. He's not getting my geeks contact details that's for sure!

I don't have problem running my peripherals and also use a USB hub with it's own power supply. I'm talking about weird stuff where one of my USB ports will handle a printer and scanner, but won't recognise anything else. I'm sure this is all hardware related as previously it would work on all devices.

You wouldn't think a external drive with its own power supply would need more power at the USB port, but I have the same problem with a multi-hub not recognising my external hard drive, but it works fine in a dedicated port.

I would recommend anyone having a 'fixed' USB hub should make sure it is an 'active' one, ie. has it's own power supply rather than the passive ones that take power from the PC or laptop via the USB cable.

I'm looking for a better powered USB hub. I looked around briefly at Tukcom yesterday, but no one had any.

I would recommend anyone having a 'fixed' USB hub should make sure it is an 'active' one, ie. has it's own power supply rather than the passive ones that take power from the PC or laptop via the USB cable.

I'm looking for a better powered USB hub. I looked around briefly at Tukcom yesterday, but no one had any.

A lot of the stuff there is unbranded Chinese stuff so very possible to get something with crap components, maybe even have 1.0 branded internal hardware badged as being 2.0. I picked up a 7-port active USB hub at Tukcom a couple of weekends ago and it is a brick so will exchange it when I get back in town. When working, I use a Targus hub that I got in the US for $35 and it never has issues with anything that gets plugged in. During the startup in Singapore, the client technician bought 6 identical unbranded 4-port Chinese USB hubs and 2 of them are duff out of the box. Only S$22 each so you get what you pay for I guess.

right, i am going to assume a few thing here because I don't want to read through the thread again

you have a laptop ?

which means you connect unconnect on a regular basis

you seem to indicate you have many usb connections

all this should work 100% of the time BUT we are talking Microsoft and hardware all trying to work together

and youuuuuu are pushing it to the limit (if all the above is correct)

things will not work if you are plugging unplugging many many external us devices.........yes it should but ohhh we look for perfection and

it is not with intel amd or microsoft

what is think you shoud do.........buy a decktop PC for your business and have everything working, then use your laptop for what it was intended

you look here on this forum for a solution.......I think I have provided it, if u don't have a laptop then I suggest you back up your data and get a good reliable deckop for your business

PS i just got in from a night of beer and ............hope this helps