High Speed Driving (at Night)

draggons

Yeah we all, or at least most of us, drive over the speed limit on clear roads, good vis etc. High speed driving at night in this country is pure madness. In response to the OP on a closed thread this is the result of a prick driving at high speed on the expressway at night.

By the way that's not his pick up it's mine and the prick nearly killed my missus and four of her friends. He tail ended her while trying to undertake and lost control!!!!

post-40226-1187449403_thumb.jpg

Enjoy your driving <deleted>!

Yeah we all, or at least most of us, drive over the speed limit on clear roads, good vis etc. High speed driving at night in this country is pure madness. In response to the OP on a closed thread this is the result of a prick driving at high speed on the expressway at night.

By the way that's not his pick up it's mine and the prick nearly killed my missus and four of her friends. He tail ended her while trying to undertake and lost control!!!!

So, what are you trying to tell me?

had one idiot pulled out into the side of me on Sukhumvit Road near Pattaya about 8:00pm one night. The guy then proceeds to drive off as if nothing had happened. I forced him to stop then when I got out and he saw I was a farang he started to assault me. Called the police and when they arrived he turned out to the the idiot driver's friend. As you might expect the police did absolutely nothing.

Edited by sibeymai

The fact you have to ask the question says it all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Thailand I often see trucks flip in an accident like this, due to the higher center of gravity. Just 2 nights ago I was stuck in a traffic jam when one flipped on Ngamwongwarn. However have only ever seen one car flip in an accident, several years back, on Viphavdi.

Does anyone else consider this when choosing their motor vehicle, that sedans are way more likely not to flip/roll in an accident?

yes consider that,

actually fruit i think the more appropriate question will be how many consider the physics of the car they are driving.

again in this case the lady was rearended and i assume the first reaction was pressing the break if the car was going fast and lower than the truck, with the breaks on i guess the fron wheel acted as a pivot point for the truck to flip.

again i am not sure draggons how the wife reacted.

the US police use something simmiliar trying to stop run away cars where they hit the corner of the bumper to cose a person car to go out of control, again in this case it most likely lifted the back up and pivoted.

I know this will get a lot of flack, I know there lots of idiots on the road in thailand, but here in sunny queensland it is worse, we have had 9 deaths due to alcohol and speeding since thursday night and we live in a sunshine coast township, we had a driver here in the village clocked at 171kmph ina 50km zone, queensland transport admitted in the Courier mail, the average time taken for a driving test is 8 minutes, I know thais drive with little regard for anyone else on the road, I know in UK we had to drive over the speed limit because in places like liverpool ,wigan and warrington if you drive slowly you get your wheels pinched :D manchester is safe because only tourists and drugdealers can afford cars there :D But I digress as usual, There are crazy drivers everywhere, saying that a few years ago a thai driver in mukdaharn clipped mrs nignoys beloved BSA motorbike, that poor fella is still quaking to this day, and a young gentleman in brown who actually had the nerve to raise his hand to mrs nignoy,fled her Wrath never to be seen again, evenas old farts we still venture out on the highways and byways of thailand on our bikes BUT NEVER AFTER DARK there might be queenslanders on the road :D:o Nignoy

Pretty bad accident, but Thailands a place that will always be hardcore for driving / riding.

If you don't like it, don't hit the road!

Yup, and I've taken my car license and given it to the wife for safe keeping before killing or getting killed. I really used to enjoy driving , but here? :o

Inside the village here there is a blind corner at a T intersection (because of a wall around a property) where every day I come face to face with idiots still cutting the corner whether I'm on the motorcycle or in the truck and doing the left turn. Kids and women on bikes, adults on motorcycles or in vehicles. E-v-e-r-y <deleted>' day. The people on bikes usually do not brake but drop both feet to the ground to try and stop, they end up running while straddling over the bike. On the motorcycle, I always hug the corner as much as I can, still , another face to face, and if there's a bit of space between me and the sidewalk, they'll try and squeeze in there instead of diving back to their side of the street. I often see the same face doing it again within the same week. At night, I have to flash the lights to let them know I'm coming as they even do it in the dark.

They just don't learn. :D

Edited by Tony Clifton

The fact you have to ask the question says it all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you cant ride, DIVE!

I know this will get a lot of flack, I know there lots of idiots on the road in thailand, but here in sunny queensland it is worse

No, it isn't.

It is worse!! in so far that Queensland is not a 3rd world country, and outside the main towns there is very little traffic, while I was writing my last comments, there was a single car accident (Holden Commodore) on a straight stretch of highway outside Gympie 5 passengers dead and 4 seriously injured , 2 of the passengers who lost their lives were travelling in the BOOT!!!! none of the passengers in this 5 seater saloon car were children, accidents like this are common here, be glad to get back to thailand in acouple of weeks , less risk of having a car drive into my front room :o Nignoy

i cant remember the last time i drove at night,living in samui with no laws on drink driving its a nightmare ,plus theres no where to park.........

Pretty bad accident, but Thailands a place that will always be hardcore for driving / riding.

If you don't like it, don't hit the road!

Yup, and I've taken my car license and given it to the wife for safe keeping before killing or getting killed. I really used to enjoy driving , but here? :o

Inside the village here there is a blind corner at a T intersection (because of a wall around a property) where every day I come face to face with idiots still cutting the corner whether I'm on the motorcycle or in the truck and doing the left turn. Kids and women on bikes, adults on motorcycles or in vehicles. E-v-e-r-y <deleted>' day. The people on bikes usually do not brake but drop both feet to the ground to try and stop, they end up running while straddling over the bike. On the motorcycle, I always hug the corner as much as I can, still , another face to face, and if there's a bit of space between me and the sidewalk, they'll try and squeeze in there instead of diving back to their side of the street. I often see the same face doing it again within the same week. At night, I have to flash the lights to let them know I'm coming as they even do it in the dark.

They just don't learn. :D

I agree, same thing happens in my soi. Daytime I will use the horn, hoping it will work. Obviously a disturbance to neighbours, but I'd rather disturb than get involved in an accident.

Around the same number of people reportedly died on the roads in Thailand during Songkran last year than died on the roads in Queensland in the whole of 2006 (337 Deaths in QLD for 2006).

More than 40,000 people die on US roads every year, I wonder why the death rate is so high in USA, the roads must be well maintained and well policed, yet 40,000+ fatalities per year seems very high.

Then again, in a very high percentage of cases, alcohol or drugs are involved.

I know this will get a lot of flack, I know there lots of idiots on the road in thailand, but here in sunny queensland it is worse

No, it isn't.

It is worse!! in so far that Queensland is not a 3rd world country, and outside the main towns there is very little traffic, while I was writing my last comments, there was a single car accident (Holden Commodore) on a straight stretch of highway outside Gympie 5 passengers dead and 4 seriously injured , 2 of the passengers who lost their lives were travelling in the BOOT!!!! none of the passengers in this 5 seater saloon car were children, accidents like this are common here, be glad to get back to thailand in acouple of weeks , less risk of having a car drive into my front room :o Nignoy

Around the same number of people reportedly died on the roads in Thailand during Songkran last year than died on the roads in Queensland in the whole of 2006 (337 Deaths in QLD for 2006).

What a stupid statement ,there are more vehicles registered in Bangkok than there are people in queensland,I know there are more traffic fatalities in thailand, I was just stating ,as a person who drives in both countries, that you are in more danger driving after dark in queensland than you do in thailand, and unless you have experience driving in europe, dont go out in your car in queensland when it is raining!! :D:D Nignoy

In a western country with proper laws, insurance and honest police, I would drive round in my truck wiping out people by the day, getting fat checks from their insurers and new cars piling up at the bottom of my driveway. Here in LOS, those lunatics actually use the road the way they do because there is nothing negative to being an irresponsible arseh0le here, it is quite the national pastime.

With so many <deleted> driving around you better not stand out of the crowd.

Be predictable.

So the answer is to be an ###### like the rest of them is it???????? Hmmm.....think not.

What is it then with Queensland & the amount of accidents..obviously not a third world area we're talking about here but the description of some accidents on this thread from Queensland beggars belief :o

I don't mean to be an ass, just drive like the rest of the Thais do, there's better chance that they fly past you without any accidents.

For example if there's a maniac flying at you on your side of the road flashing his lights, don't be a hero because you are legally right, just give him the way.

Generally they also expect that YOU should hit the breaks when they try to overtake you and run out of space.

Being safe is better than being right.

More than 40,000 people die on US roads every year, I wonder why the death rate is so high in USA, the roads must be well maintained and well policed, yet 40,000+ fatalities per year seems very high.

Then again, in a very high percentage of cases, alcohol or drugs are involved.

What about ice and snow?

And you're comparing countries of 60 and over 300 million.

Edited by Tony Clifton

What about ice and snow?

And you're comparing countries of 60 and over 300 million.

But if you believe this forum, Thai people are useless at driving, always drunk, have no road sense whatsoever if you take that factor into the equation, and the badly maintained roads, and major roads are very well used, no police etc. it don't seem too bad to me in Thailand

How are USA Traffic fatalities so high, considering they are Farangs = Great drivers, Farangs= not stupid, Farangs= law abiding stick to the speed limit non drinking and driving individuals with well policed well maintained roads?

Explain the 40,000 + fatalities per year.

Considering they're great at everything, it seems a tad high.

But if you believe this forum, Thai people are useless at driving, always drunk, have no road sense whatsoever if you take that factor into the equation, and the badly maintained roads, and major roads are very well used, no police etc. it don't seem too bad to me in Thailand

Don't believe the forums, believe the statistics: 14,000 OFFICIAL deaths per year for Thailand against around 40000 for the USA.

Estimated (by independent international organizations) REAL numbers in Thailand are around 30,000 (google it) but even at 14,000 for a country of 60,000,000 Thailand is much worse than 40,000 for a country of 300,000,000 (almost DOUBLE the death rate).

GRSP for example, of which Thailand is member from 2001, estimates the real number at around 20,000 per annum based on hospital reports only.

I hope you have an idea of how under-reported are such (and countless other) things in Thailand...

But that's only a very small and partial view of the whole picture, read below.

How are USA Traffic fatalities so high, considering they are Farangs = Great drivers, Farangs= not stupid, Farangs= law abiding stick to the speed limit non drinking and driving individuals with well policed well maintained roads?

Explain the 40,000 + fatalities per year.

Considering they're great at everything, it seems a tad high.

Sorry to disappoint you but, well, they ARE great at this too (and I say that as a Western European).

They have less deaths per Kms driven than many Western countries (in other words, being the Western countries themselves right at the top in safety stats, the US is amongst the safest in the world) and that's the key to understand the 40,000 deaths/annum in the US: they are a huge country of more than 300,000,000 people with one of the highest (if not the highest) percentage of cars per population and they drive, on average, more than in almost all other countries.

P.S. I wrote they drive, on average, more than "most other countries". That was not correct, they drive much more than anyone else. Reading actual stats an average American drives more than 16,000 Kms/annum.

UK, Germany, France etc are all around 7,500/8,500 Kms/annum, the closest ones are the Australians at slightly more than 10,000 Kms/annum...

P.S. I wrote they drive, on average, more than "most other countries". That was not correct, they drive much more than anyone else. Reading actual stats an average American drives more than 16,000 Kms/annum.

UK, Germany, France etc are all around 7,500/8,500 Kms/annum, the closest ones are the Australians at slightly more than 10,000 Kms/annum...

wow, I have driven 32000 Kms in 14 months.