How Do I Plant With An Animal-shaped Metal Sculpture?

Weho

I bought some of these animal shaped metal wire sculptures, where plants grow through them, presumably in the shape of the animal. I bought two elephants, which are about 1/2 meter high. The lady didn't speak much English, but she sold me 8 small plants, she told me to plant them in the ground, two by each elephant leg. She said they need daily water. But what I couldn't understand was how much sun or shade they need.

The plants were only 5 baht each, and are long viney type plants.

She seemed to say sun, or no sun was OK, but I want to do what's best. I wish I had more information, but based on what I've written, where/how would you suggest I plant them? This is in the Pattaya area.

PS: I enjoy the farming forum! There's no pretense here!

I bought some of these animal shaped metal wire sculptures, where plants grow through them, presumably in the shape of the animal. I bought two elephants, which are about 1/2 meter high. The lady didn't speak much English, but she sold me 8 small plants, she told me to plant them in the ground, two by each elephant leg. She said they need daily water. But what I couldn't understand was how much sun or shade they need.

The plants were only 5 baht each, and are long viney type plants.

She seemed to say sun, or no sun was OK, but I want to do what's best. I wish I had more information, but based on what I've written, where/how would you suggest I plant them? This is in the Pattaya area.

PS: I enjoy the farming forum! There's no pretense here!

Hi Weho

Judging by the examples I have seen all over Thailand and assuming you have the same type of plants, I think it is immaterial whether they are planted in sun or shade.

However, having said that I would opt for a semi shade position, I would also dig a sizeable hole for each plant and fill it with good quality soil (about 20 baht a bag from any nursery) it would also pay to put a small amount of lime in the bottom of the hole to sterilize it. I think this goes under the highly technical Thai name of "white powder" and is readily available all over Isaan for next to nothing a kilo. Mind you in Pattaya I'd be a bit wary of who I asked for white powder for fear of ending up in the slammer or being spaced out for the next fortnight!! :o

I would also water regularly daily either first thing in the morning or early evening. Follow this regime and I see no reason why they should not thrive, after all they do well on the road central verges in polluted Bangkok.

Hope that helps

TBWG :D

PS Get those shears sharpened pronto!!

• 3 months later...