British Bike Photos

joeuk1

Nice bikes Joe. I had several old BSA's back in the Uk and loved taking them out for a short spin or to a show. Tinkering with them was also a great way to spend a sunday. Though Im now looking to get something here to tinker with give me a new bike to go any distance. Still trying to fly the flag I got a new Rocket 3. A truy awesome bike which were planning on riding round Thailand for 2 months. The wife also is going to test ride the new Bonnevlle next time were in BKK. I'll post some pics of my project when I get it. Stay upright :o

More Brit bikes :o

Hi Joe, great pics, thanks, When i saw the red bezza, i honestly thought it was the one i had in 1968, On closer inspection, the pic is of a Spitfire, twin carbs, alloy rims ect, I had the A65L Lightning, single carb, chrome rims ect, and the plane bush timing side main bearing, that let these bikes down big time! I converted mine to a devimead roller bearing and fitted spitfire HC pistons, guess what, the barrells broke away from the crankcase,hit the fibre tank and the tank hit me under the chin! i still have a little scar there now! I sold the bike and got a 68 Bonnie!

Nice to see a couple of guys enjoyed the pics :D i have seen a couple of real beautys when in Thailand i will be keeping my eyes open for a couple of Brit classics myself to rebuild . Will keep me busy :o .

JB

Keep your eyes peeled then !! from the21st of this month MR and MRS Nignoy on tour, we dont take photo,s of Britbikes to moon over!! We Ride EM !! :D:D NIgnoy

Joe I am going to Burma, sorry Myanmar next month to see a guy there who has several old BSA and Triumphs. He also has a large amount oforiginal spares for a lot of the old british bikes. From what Im told he only wants a couple of thousand baht a bike. Will let you know how I get on. Like you I miss having my old bikes to tinker with. The last time the wife was in the USA she brought me some tools as you just cant get anything decent here. Ive got a small 3 wheel bike to play with at the moment but its just not the same. Cheers Dunc :o

Nice to see a couple of guys enjoyed the pics :D i have seen a couple of real beautys when in Thailand i will be keeping my eyes open for a couple of Brit classics myself to rebuild . Will keep me busy :o .

JB

Keep your eyes peeled then !! from the21st of this month MR and MRS Nignoy on tour, we dont take photo,s of Britbikes to moon over!! We Ride EM !! :D:D NIgnoy

The new Triumphs built in asia are NOT Brit bikes :D .

JB

Joe I am going to Burma, sorry Myanmar next month to see a guy there who has several old BSA and Triumphs. He also has a large amount oforiginal spares for a lot of the old british bikes. From what Im told he only wants a couple of thousand baht a bike. Will let you know how I get on. Like you I miss having my old bikes to tinker with. The last time the wife was in the USA she brought me some tools as you just cant get anything decent here. Ive got a small 3 wheel bike to play with at the moment but its just not the same. Cheers Dunc :o

These would be a great find , when i build the new house i will build a garage and will rebuild a few old classics if i can find them . I saw a great Bsa 650 when in Thailand in July i would have loved to own the bike but all the work had been done with it . I saw a BMW 1961 for sale in Chatuchak mkt once a real beauty for anyone that like that bike it was origional condittion guy wanted 200k for it . The bikes are out there we just need to fall on them ...........not fall off them lol .

JB

JB

JB

But Mrs Nignoy owns 1960 BSA A10 and I ride A 1960 Dommy 99, my stepson rides my 1959 650 Matchless G12 CSR with a full Avon Streamliner fairing!! we have had these bikes from new, Would not touch a new Triumph with a barge pole, they are just run of the mill Rice Cookers :bah: Nignoy

JB

JB

But Mrs Nignoy owns 1960 BSA A10 and I ride A 1960 Dommy 99, my stepson rides my 1959 650 Matchless G12 CSR with a full Avon Streamliner fairing!! we have had these bikes from new, Would not touch a new Triumph with a barge pole, they are just run of the mill Rice Cookers :bah: Nignoy

Id love to see the A10 do over 9000km in 2 months without missing a beat. Ive had a lot of old british bikes and they are fine for short trips to shows or occasional tips on a sunday but give me a new one for reliability and effortless cruising. All the benifits of british bikes without the oil burning finger numbing unreliability.

Also ALL triumphs are built in Hinkley UK. NO bikes are built in Aisa. There is a factory in Chonburi which makes panels and parts for Triumph which are then shipped to the UK. There is talk of assmbling the bikes here but at the moment there is a restriction of 250cc capacity. Till Then They are BRITISH through and through.

In the early 60's I was riding a Honda 305 Super Hawk. I wanted a more powerful bike but the Harleys simply vibrated TOO much and at that time leaked oil all over everything. My best friend bought a BSA. I think it was called a 650 Scrambler. Anyways, I talked him into trading bikes for a short trip. Within eighteen miles on the BSA, my hands were numb. I vibrated as bad or worse than a Harley. At that time I think the biggest Honda was a 450. That's what I bought. I couldn't outrun his BSA, but I could beat MOST of the Triumphs at least from block to block. From there I graduated to a 650 BMW shaft drive. It was a dog but VERY smooth to ride. I got to ride a lot of Harleys, Triumphs and BSA's during road trips to allow those guys to get feelings back in their hands. :o They stopped for gas about every 50 miles and with the HUGE gas tank on the BMW, I just grinned at them. I eventually traded the BMW for a 750 Honda water cooled shaft drive.

In the early 60's I was riding a Honda 305 Super Hawk. I wanted a more powerful bike but the Harleys simply vibrated TOO much and at that time leaked oil all over everything. My best friend bought a BSA. I think it was called a 650 Scrambler. Anyways, I talked him into trading bikes for a short trip. Within eighteen miles on the BSA, my hands were numb. I vibrated as bad or worse than a Harley. At that time I think the biggest Honda was a 450. That's what I bought. I couldn't outrun his BSA, but I could beat MOST of the Triumphs at least from block to block. From there I graduated to a 650 BMW shaft drive. It was a dog but VERY smooth to ride. I got to ride a lot of Harleys, Triumphs and BSA's during road trips to allow those guys to get feelings back in their hands. :D They stopped for gas about every 50 miles and with the HUGE gas tank on the BMW, I just grinned at them. I eventually traded the BMW for a 750 Honda water cooled shaft drive.
Being disabled pensioners shaking is normal :D but how many of the bikes you have ridden have done over 500,000miles and are still in original condition, I road tested the First Honda Goldwing in germany in 1970 for "Das Motorad" one of the top bike magazines in europe at the time,for the 6 months I tested the bike ,it spent 11 weeks having different repairs done, I rest my case :o Nignoy

JB

JB

Is the Dommy 99 a Norton Dominator ? would love to see photos of your bikes when you have time and are willing to post them .

JB

I did source a British classic bike club in Thailand through google , but like a plonker i did not save in Favourites and cant now find it again . When i was on the website they had brit bikes 1940s 1950s 1960s at the show .

Some real old classics ......an old army bike that looked like the one that steve mcqueen rode in the great escape :o .

JB

In the early 60's I was riding a Honda 305 Super Hawk. I wanted a more powerful bike but the Harleys simply vibrated TOO much and at that time leaked oil all over everything. My best friend bought a BSA. I think it was called a 650 Scrambler. Anyways, I talked him into trading bikes for a short trip. Within eighteen miles on the BSA, my hands were numb. I vibrated as bad or worse than a Harley. At that time I think the biggest Honda was a 450. That's what I bought. I couldn't outrun his BSA, but I could beat MOST of the Triumphs at least from block to block. From there I graduated to a 650 BMW shaft drive. It was a dog but VERY smooth to ride. I got to ride a lot of Harleys, Triumphs and BSA's during road trips to allow those guys to get feelings back in their hands. :D They stopped for gas about every 50 miles and with the HUGE gas tank on the BMW, I just grinned at them. I eventually traded the BMW for a 750 Honda water cooled shaft drive.
Being disabled pensioners shaking is normal :D but how many of the bikes you have ridden have done over 500,000miles and are still in original condition, I road tested the First Honda Goldwing in germany in 1970 for "Das Motorad" one of the top bike magazines in europe at the time,for the 6 months I tested the bike ,it spent 11 weeks having different repairs done, I rest my case :o Nignoy

SO Mr Ngnoy you rode one of the first goldwings and lo and behold it had some teething problems so naturaly ALL Hondas from that day are crap! Give your head a shake mate. You cant judge every bike since 1970 as being unreliable.Japenese bikes were so reliable they drove the British bike industry to the wall as you at your age should remember so well. People became sick of their bikes breaking down or going numb after a few miles that when the Japs came along it was a new world, Power, reliability, good mountings, Brakes that stopped you. Need I go on. Its OK to look back with nostalgia but these days there are tractors better equiped fo a road trip than the old bikes. Yes I love my old bikes BUT as I said give me my Rocket 3 anyday. I can sit, fully loaded with luggage two up at 130kph and Im only doing 3000 rpm. If you ever get down south way let me know, would love to see em both but maybe a bit too far, Enjoy :D

Maybe a bit of senile dementia?????? ha ha ha ha saying that it was along time ago so give or take a few years. I can remember when the Kawasaki Z900 came out. I thought at the time it was the sexiest bike Id ever seen and wanted one. Along with a Benelli Sei 1000cc six cylinder. I was only 15 at the time and it took me another20 years till I eventually got one. That along with my BSA D1, D3, D7 Goldstar, Suzuki 250 supersport had to go when I came out here. I miss tinkering about when bored so much but am looking for another project! :o

The Honda Goldwing never started production till 1975,
Sorry!! think you are a bit confused, I have mailed my old club in Germany, the pages from Das Motorad with my picture on the goldwing, are framed on the wall of the clubroom, so I hope to be able to post them here real soon, Could not have been 1975, because that year I was on an all expenses paid holiday in Risley!! :o Nignoy

There is some things i do get confused about, but MCs are not one of them, The earliest i can find any info on a goldwing is Colonge Oct 74 in europe, ive scanned the pages of Das Motorad and found nothing before ecept for this link thhttp://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/Goldwing%20history.pdfat,

In March of 1975 i was invited to test ride the Wing, BMW 650 and the Triumph T150V at Revvetts of Ipswich, I choose the triumph and within months the head gasket blew, oil leaks, dropped valve, oil pipe scavenge breakage causing the engine to seize solid all in warranty, i eventually put it in the back of my garage and bought a Honda cb550f, done 35000 miles in 3 years touring europe and daily use for work ect, absolutley no problems, and now Triumph are as relialbe, my younger brother has 2 Tridents, 1993 and 2001, also a 2006 BMW 1200 RGS, all trouble free, wish i could say the same about some of the old british bikes i had!!!!

I once did a 800 mile road trip on my Z900 with a guy on a triumph of a few years earlier. His bike broke down several times and used nearly as much oil as petrol. The Z performed effortlessly, though it did get a lot of stops. When I asked my mate why he didnt get a reliable bike he said it was part of the fun.

Plus "you never get a sore bum with a bike like this as by the time your bum is getting sore its about to break down again. By the time youve got it running again your bums fine".

I couldnt fault the logic in it. Most of the guys with these bikes love them for what they are, its all part of owning an old thumper. I had several of them but used to take them to shows by trailer or just local ride outs. Thats about all I miss about the old place! :o

There is some things i do get confused about, but MCs are not one of them, The earliest i can find any info on a goldwing is Colonge Oct 74 in europe, ive scanned the pages of Das Motorad and found nothing before ecept for this link thhttp://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/Goldwing%20history.pdfat,

In March of 1975 i was invited to test ride the Wing, BMW 650 and the Triumph T150V at Revvetts of Ipswich, I choose the triumph and within months the head gasket blew, oil leaks, dropped valve, oil pipe scavenge breakage causing the engine to seize solid all in warranty, i eventually put it in the back of my garage and bought a Honda cb550f, done 35000 miles in 3 years touring europe and daily use for work ect, absolutley no problems, and now Triumph are as relialbe, my younger brother has 2 Tridents, 1993 and 2001, also a 2006 BMW 1200 RGS, all trouble free, wish i could say the same about some of the old british bikes i had!!!!

Lickey just found this link about the Goldwing.

1972 Honda Goldwing prototype M1

1972 Honda Goldwing prototype M1

Very rare photo of the very first prototype Honda Goldwing - The 1972 Honda M1

A design team is established, led by Soichiro Irimajiri, who headed up design of the five- and six-cylinder road racing engines of the 1960s. The team develops the M1, a top-secret prototype designed to explore the outer limits of the Grand Touring concept. The super-fast M1 features a liquid-cooled horizontally opposed six-cylinder engine with shaft drive--features that surface in the Gold Wing line in years to come.

The link to the full page is here

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/prot...prototypeM1.htm

According to the page it came into production in 1974. Enjoy :o

post-24982-1188784426_thumb.jpg

For many years from the age of 16, I was the proud owner of a RGS.....100% genuine(1964 - yes! 4!)....BSA made about 2000 of them and shipped about half of those to the states, but with careful conservation by the late 1980s there were about 3000 in UK alone!?!?!

I had twin e/pipes "RRT2", h/lift cams (Lightning) big valves, 160mm F'brake, G/S tank and frame, comp mag, etc etc and all the right serial numbers

Photos - I don't have a single photo - spent all my money on the bike and couldn't afford a camera....I guess.

Edited by wilko

So how much of a bike can be manufactured in Thailand etc before it isn't "British through and through" - the capacity restriction for bikes in Thailand is I believe 150 cc but Triumph won't be building for sale in Thailand - it's the world market they're interested in so I can see no reason why they don't build the big machines here....they'll have to clean up their management a bit though first - allegedly!

Edited by wilko