Cost Of Living Index

Yorkie

I guess there must be some form of cost of living index regularly published in Thailand but I cannot see that a general index will apply to most farang that are living here.

The question was addressed in the pub yesterday as to how the cost of living for a farang has increased over the past three years. A statement was made that the cost had virtually doubled during the period.

I appreciate that many items (particularly fuel and fuel related items) have increased in price substantially but I cannot agree that my cost of living has. My retirement pension has increased by approximately 6% in the period in question and although I have not made any conscious effort to curtail my spending, I am still not spending more than I receive.

Has anyone any ideas?

I guess there must be some form of cost of living index regularly published in Thailand but I cannot see that a general index will apply to most farang that are living here.

The question was addressed in the pub yesterday as to how the cost of living for a farang has increased over the past three years. A statement was made that the cost had virtually doubled during the period.

I appreciate that many items (particularly fuel and fuel related items) have increased in price substantially but I cannot agree that my cost of living has. My retirement pension has increased by approximately 6% in the period in question and although I have not made any conscious effort to curtail my spending, I am still not spending more than I receive.

Has anyone any ideas?

I remember that the Joint Foreign Chamber of Commerce used to prepare for this index yearly. You might be able to obtain the information from the British Chamber of Commerce or the American Chamber of Commerce.