Marriage Visa

I have had a one year visa for the last two years to look after my Thai Farang son. I have just been into the immigration in Pattaya to do my 90 report. Whilst there I enquired about the procedure for renewing my visa next January. I asked the officer about the new rule changes in October and said did I now need to show 40,000 baht per month coming in, instead of the 400,000 baht in the bank routine.

He asked me if I had seen him before and I explained I had seen him for the last two years. He said " no change for you, same same before", meaning 400,000 in the bank.

I am assuming then that the changes don't apply to me because I have had the other route 'grandfathered to me'.

I only mention this because I'm sure I read other posters maybe in Bangkok being told they will have to show 40,000 baht per month coming in after October, even though they already have a marriage/ child visa.

Is this just another occasion where it is down to the individual officer or are the rules going to change. I need to know so I can start planning what to do about the 40,000 baht per month deal.

Any opinions welcome

I have had a one year visa for the last two years to look after my Thai Farang son. I have just been into the immigration in Pattaya to do my 90 report. Whilst there I enquired about the procedure for renewing my visa next January. I asked the officer about the new rule changes in October and said did I now need to show 40,000 baht per month coming in, instead of the 400,000 baht in the bank routine.

He asked me if I had seen him before and I explained I had seen him for the last two years. He said " no change for you, same same before", meaning 400,000 in the bank.

I am assuming then that the changes don't apply to me because I have had the other route 'grandfathered to me'.

I only mention this because I'm sure I read other posters maybe in Bangkok being told they will have to show 40,000 baht per month coming in after October, even though they already have a marriage/ child visa.

Is this just another occasion where it is down to the individual officer or are the rules going to change. I need to know so I can start planning what to do about the 40,000 baht per month deal.

Any opinions welcome

If you used to obtain a one year extension based on the 400,000 baht in bank, you still can apply under the same condition. As long as the money is on your account for more than 3 month before your new extension application date

There is no support Thai child provision under the new laws. The only provision for fathers/mothers is being over age 50 and living with child. For that there is no money requirement. If Pattaya says there will be no change can only hope that they have found a way around an issue that has caused a lot of worry.

Any opinions welcome

If you used to obtain a one year extension based on the 400,000 baht in bank, you still can apply under the same condition. As long as the money is on your account for more than 3 month before your new extension application date

I thought the 3 month rule only applied to the retirement visa. The 400,000 Thai wife visa,you could top off,every month or so,but having to show 400,000 at renewal time.

They have not required it up to now but Police Order 606/2006 clearly says it is a requirement.

married to a Thai wife, then if the applicant does not have the said income, then, the latest 3 months records of the account book of any Bank in Thailand with the account name of either or both parties need to have the amount of money not less than 400,000 Baht.

There is no support Thai child provision under the new laws. The only provision for fathers/mothers is being over age 50 and living with child. For that there is no money requirement. If Pattaya says there will be no change can only hope that they have found a way around an issue that has caused a lot of worry.

Does this mean that if you have children by your Thai spouse you do not need to show any assets or income?

I always assumed that the 400k or 40k applied regardless...still in UK so not an immediate issue for us.

If you are over age 50 and your Thai child invites you to live with them you do not need to show any assets - the assumption being that they will be taking care of you in your old age.

I'd be interested to here from anyone in Phuket who's done this. There's no mention of it in the new Phuket immigration brochure and somehow I doubt they'd acknowledge it's existence.

geoffphuket

That be as it may; the rule is 7.18 and you can find it on any copy of Police Order 606/2006

Do you have a link to download ? I'd love to walk into immigration next year with it in Writing.....Verbally, the door mat would probably pay more attention :o

There are all listed in the pinned section at the top of this forum topic. Two English versions and the original Thai. At the top of post #4

Thanks Loburi3,

I'd love to get off the immigration rules escalator and maybe this is the way. The only problem I can see, is that the child has to be unmarried - in the long term this could obviously present a problem, the end result being dumped back into the system at the deep end.

This must be new then (or not enforced on my part) as I've never had the 400k in there for 3 months prior to applying - CM and Phuket - usually a week or two before.

It is new from the October 2006 law change. Do not believe the 3 month part has been enforced yet as Immigration is aware that most people would not know about it. For those making new (1st) retirement applications it has been strictly enforced.

Just to let you know I am 43 yrs old and my son is 3. I am still OK for the visa even though I am not over 50.

I still say that many people in this forum and even people at immigration have misinterpreted the rules with this over 50yrs thing.

If Lopburi is correct then if I was over 50 and my son was 1yr old, are you saying that the immigration would let me stay with no proof of funds if my 1 yearold son told them that he would look after me.

As far as I can see it the over 50 thing is if I (Farang Male -Any age) were looking after a thai parent of the wife and the parent is over fifty.

If this is not the case please explain the first case of the 1 year old son.

I have already explained that this is designed for those of old age to be taken care of by there sons and daughters as in normal in Thailand. It is not designed as an avenue to stay here for those with young children (there is no such provision under the new laws). In the case of young child it would require legal action as well as immigration application.

That is the rule only if you (the person requesting the extension of stay) are the child.

And what if your Thai Child is a New born or toddler, etc.?? Can the mother make application in "the name of the child"

Thanks,

CS

OOPs.. Sorry.. see you responded to this while I was Creating my own post.. Forget it.

Thanks anyway.

Edited by CosmicSurfer

I have already explained that this is designed for those of old age to be taken care of by there sons and daughters as in normal in Thailand. It is not designed as an avenue to stay here for those with young children (there is no such provision under the new laws). In the case of young child it would require legal action as well as immigration application.

Lop, can that Thai child be over 18 years of age? Hypothetically, can I as a Thai citizen, support my father, an Australian citizen, who is 59?

Cheers

Samran.

That is the gist of the law - taking care of your farang parents in there old age - which means they need to live with you. In Bangkok the law seems to be well known by most officials but experiences in other locations have resulted mixed receptions.

I expressed concern early on that it would be viewed as a loophole and might not last. I still have my doubts but really hope that it does continue for the very example you just cited - really taking care of parents in there twilight years. Although your father I am sure will not consider himself in that status (the same as I).

My apologies if this has already been discussed or posted elsewhere, or is not relevant:

“For people who came to Thailand and had a permit to stay for marriagebefore October 1, 2006, you need to present only your bank account, which must have not less than 400,000 baht. This amount must be on deposit in the bank more than three months before applying for the permit to stay. With this money deposited in the bank, you won't need to show your monthly income.

Alternatively, if you have an income, it doesn't matter if it is from outside Thailand or not, the monthly income must not be less than 40,000 baht per month. If you have a business here in Thailand, the tax payment documents can be shown and must indicate an average income of not less than 40,000 baht per month.

If you want to show that you have an income or pension from outside the country, you must show a document from your home country’s embassy indicating the amount of the income or pension, but this is may be difficult because some embassies don't consider this their responsibility.”

Friday, August 17, 2007 Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen of the Phuket Provincial Immigration Office.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers...ails.asp?id=992

If you want to show that you have an income or pension from outside the country, you must show a document from your home country’s embassy indicating the amount of the income or pension, but this is may be difficult because some embassies don't consider this their responsibility

For Americans this is actually very easy....I was told that the USA embassy is the only one that does this but I walked in off the street without a sherd of proof and siad how much I made and the embassy notarized it on my word and I was done in 15 minutes with no prep work.

If you are over age 50 and your Thai child invites you to live with them you do not need to show any assets - the assumption being that they will be taking care of you in your old age.

“Order 606/2006 - 7.17 In case of the foreign national is the member of the Thai national’s family

(Only for Father, Mother, Husband or Wife, ordinary child, adopted child or the

child of the marriage couple.) Permission shall be granted for the period not exceeding 1 year."

Cases

7.17 In the case of a family

member of a Thai

(applicable only to

parents, spouse, child,

adopted child or child

of his/her spouse):

Permission will be

granted for a period of

not more than 1 year

at a time.

Basis for Consideration

(1) The alien has obtained a

temporary visa (NON-IM); and

(2) Proof of family relationship;

and

(3) In the case of a spouse, the

marital relationship shall be de

jure (legitimate) and de facto;

or

(4) In the case of a child, adopted

child or child of his/her spouse,

the said person must not be

married, must be living with the

family, and must be less than

20 years of age; or

(5) In the case of a parent, the said

person must be 50 years of age

or over; or

(6) In the case of an alien married

to a Thai woman, any party or

both must have a total income

of not less than Baht 40,000 per

month, except for aliens who

entered the Kingdom before

this Order came into force and

granted a permit to stay in the

Kingdom. If the alien does not

have the minimum income

above, he shall have an account

deposit in Thailand in the name

of either party or both of not

less than Baht 400,000. Proof

of account deposit for the

previous 3 months is required.

I got my extension based on this rule, at the time of application I was just over 50 and my son was just over 3 months old. Some how I don't think my son invited me to stay with him.

lopburi3' are you certain your interpretation is correct.

Edited by gjones

If you want to show that you have an income or pension from outside the country, you must show a document from your home country’s embassy indicating the amount of the income or pension, but this is may be difficult because some embassies don't consider this their responsibility

For Americans this is actually very easy....I was told that the USA embassy is the only one that does this but I walked in off the street without a sherd of proof and siad how much I made and the embassy notarized it on my word and I was done in 15 minutes with no prep work.

Interesting, I'll have to keep that in mind.

I see that you're in Isaan.........I'll be in Surin in a few weeks.

Edited by SqdnGuns

Hi To All

I'm new to this topic so my apologise if I ask about something already covered here. My Thai wife and I live in UK with our two boys one 4 yo and the other 4 months old. We plan to live in future in Thailand where we have our second home in Isaan and both children have dual nationality UK/Thai passports. If we lived in LOS after proof of funds either 40,000/month or 400,000 on deposit then how often do you have to report to immigration and/or renew my visa. Is this a visit every 90 days then one year visa granted or renewal every three months.

Thanks for the help.

I got my extension based on this rule, at the time of application I was just over 50 and my son was just over 3 months old. Some how I don't think my son invited me to stay with him.

I suspect your child's mother performed that function.

Hi To All

I'm new to this topic so my apologise if I ask about something already covered here. My Thai wife and I live in UK with our two boys one 4 yo and the other 4 months old. We plan to live in future in Thailand where we have our second home in Isaan and both children have dual nationality UK/Thai passports. If we lived in LOS after proof of funds either 40,000/month or 400,000 on deposit then how often do you have to report to immigration and/or renew my visa. Is this a visit every 90 days then one year visa granted or renewal every three months.

Thanks for the help.

The new requirement is 40k family income only. You extend your stay for one year, at the same time each year. During the year you are required to report your address every 90 days (if you are in Thailand) but outside of Bangkok that can be done by mail.

I suspect your child's mother performed that function.

The National Police Office Order 606/2006 - 7.17 P5

lopburi3 I speak and understand Thai reasonably well but for some reason my brain cannot absorb the understanding of written Thai.

You may have the advantage if you have read the Thai version of The National Police Office Order 606/2006 - 7.17 and interpreted it true meaning. However I am surprised the rule can be construed for a child under the age of 20 to take care of a foreign father.

it is a very interesting argument.

Could you express your interpretation of this rule if there is a need for the father to be married or not.

I provided what I believe to be the rational for the law. It is not designed as a father supporting a child as the old system - it is designed for old age and taking care of parents as is the Thai custom. That it is being used for other situations is good for those that can benefit and do not believe we are helping anyone by extended dialog.

The father does not have to be married but believe child would have to be of legal age to have it approved without legal action (or at least the mothers blessing).

You can read all the rules concerning your position regarding the immigration to:

www.seaconnection.ws

LINK IMMIGRATION, last rules from October 2006/2549.

Good Luck.

:o

P.S. In these rules, they don't write that you must contact the police every 3 months to confirm your adress, I forgot that, and costed me 2000 Bahts... :D Thailand...