First Carrefour - Now Numchai

Mobi

My previous dealings with Numchai have been pretty good and I have spent a fair bit of money there over the past 2 years. I found them, friendly and helpful, prepared to discount prices, and delivery and installation is quick and efficient.

However, a few days ago I went in there to buy a vacuum cleaner. As I have burnt out 2 machines in a year, I decided to buy a top of the range Electrolux 'cyclone' which looks like a Dyson copy. So there it was - the star of the show, complete with red ribbon neatly attached to the front - all 14,000 Baht's worth of it.

We negotiated a discount 500 Baht and went off to the cashier to pay. Ten minutes later - sorry - not in stock, but you can have the display model.

Any discount?

No.

Well I don't want a model that's been taken apart for the past umpteen months and man handled by potential customers.

How long to Order?

Not sure - at least 7 days.

Forget it I'll look somewhere else.

They were VERY upset.

Next I needed a water filter for my Samsung fridge - which I had purchased there. I had already bought one filter at Numchai, so I went to the service department out the back to get another one.

Sorry, not in stock.

When will they be in stock?

Don't know.

One week? - two weeks? one month?

Sorry, no idea. Why don't you try somewhere else?

Bear in mind that I saw at least 4 Samsung fridges for sale in the store that had the same model filter.

I went to Homeworks and bought my vacuum cleaner, and ordered the filter which they said would be delivered in 48 hours.

Then,Numchai called me and said they would have the vacuum cleaner by noon the next day!! I bet they packed up the display model and were planning to sell it me as new.

Sorry, too late.

Whachter reckon folks?

Mobi - Come to Saudi and find what level customer service can fall to.

For instance - now that it is difficult to find shaving cream in tubes (like toothpaste) I have to buy the pressurised cans of 'gel' or 'foam'.

Wherever I go in Saudi about 1/3rd of these cans have lost pressure. I used to try to take back and exchange, but never successful. So now I test each before buying.

It is also necessary to check all goods in tins with a 'pop' lid covered by a plastic one (if you know what I mean - like Pringles and many others) because the local kids (aged up to seventy) like to pop the lids and sample the contents.

So on and so on - no stock control, no pride of work, because all the staff are minimum-wage Indians and the management is on a coffee break. Probably much the same reasons at home.

Your touching story is similar to what happened to me at Carrefour today... I wanted a laser printer, Lexmark, 2900 baht... el cheapo model.

(Basically, I need to print one document, and it's cheaper to BUY a laser printer, than pay someone the minimum 10 baht PER PAGE they are asking.)

In any event, they only had a display model... the guy assured me it was brand new. I said I didn't care... I wanted a SEALED BOX, untouched by store employees. Then he shows me this box, says it's new, and the tape along has already been CUT. I said "not new, used... I want new tape, no tape open"). Then he gave me a look as if I were like Charles Manson.

If I had more time, I would call over the manager, (sometimes I have time), and give him a lecture on WHAT A FARANG WANTS and EXPECTS... but I figure I don't get paid as a consultant for them... but I feel bad for the salesdudes, who are sometimes surprisingly knowledgable and helpful, cause they weren't able to close a sale, because of their MANAGER'S dumb policies.

In my mind, any "open box" item should be AT LEAST 50% off... and while at Carrefour center, I went into "Cash Converters", and saw they had a USED Brother laser printer, I think 1,900 baht... who knows who has touched that, how many paper jams, how little toner is left, etc... It's well worth the extra 1,000 baht for a brand new one... this is kind of sick, but I like to go into "Cash Converters" just to justify purchases in OTHER places. But every now and then, they do have something of interest there...

But what I really would like to ask, is what are you doing with your vacuums that blows them out so often? Sounds like your vacuums suck. And is your home that dirty? Do you leave the windows open? Is it real dusty there? Maybe it would be cheaper to get a maid to dust, than overpriced vacuums that break down.

Your touching story is similar to what happened to me at Carrefour today... I wanted a laser printer, Lexmark, 2900 baht... el cheapo model.

(Basically, I need to print one document, and it's cheaper to BUY a laser printer, than pay someone the minimum 10 baht PER PAGE they are asking.)

In any event, they only had a display model... the guy assured me it was brand new. I said I didn't care... I wanted a SEALED BOX, untouched by store employees. Then he shows me this box, says it's new, and the tape along has already been CUT. I said "not new, used... I want new tape, no tape open"). Then he gave me a look as if I were like Charles Manson.

If I had more time, I would call over the manager, (sometimes I have time), and give him a lecture on WHAT A FARANG WANTS and EXPECTS... but I figure I don't get paid as a consultant for them... but I feel bad for the salesdudes, who are sometimes surprisingly knowledgable and helpful, cause they weren't able to close a sale, because of their MANAGER'S dumb policies.

In my mind, any "open box" item should be AT LEAST 50% off... and while at Carrefour center, I went into "Cash Converters", and saw they had a USED Brother laser printer, I think 1,900 baht... who knows who has touched that, how many paper jams, how little toner is left, etc... It's well worth the extra 1,000 baht for a brand new one... this is kind of sick, but I like to go into "Cash Converters" just to justify purchases in OTHER places. But every now and then, they do have something of interest there...

But what I really would like to ask, is what are you doing with your vacuums that blows them out so often? Sounds like your vacuums suck. And is your home that dirty? Do you leave the windows open? Is it real dusty there? Maybe it would be cheaper to get a maid to dust, than overpriced vacuums that break down.

As an aside. one of the best purchases I ever made in Thailand was a Brother B&W laser printer. I have had it for over 2 years, and still haven't used up the first ink cartridge, and believe me I do a lot of printing. I just set it on 'economy' print, and it prints beautiful copies, very fast, never gets jammed, and never any problems. Those bloody ink jet cartridge affairs used to drive me round the bend and I seemed to be putting in a new cartridge every other day. It might be worth you getting a demo on that second hand Brother, coz they are very good.

As for my vacuum cleaners, well I have burnt out 2 in12 months - I couldn't tell you the brand name as they have been dumped, but they were both bought in Carrefour, and were made in China.

I have 2 maids that do nothing but dust and clean all day as the Mobi mansion is rather large. I have 3 very large Chinese style deep pile rugs, plus another large mat/carpet in my office. That's all they are used for and they burnt out!!

Mobi,

You forgot to mention a long haired dog. A well trained and behaved one, that is groomed very regularly, but a long hair dog. I know she is not allowed in the house, but the hair can blow from her personal (doginal ?) fan on the veranda if the door is left open. :o

As for my vacuum cleaners, well I have burnt out 2 in12 months - I couldn't tell you the brand name as they have been dumped, but they were both bought in Carrefour, and were made in China.

Perhaps being made in China is the problem. There's been a lot of bad press lately about goods made in China.

And, BTW, I won't buy made in China vegetables until I absolutely am certain that they do not use night soil (poo-poo) as fertilizer.

Mobi,

You forgot to mention a long haired dog. A well trained and behaved one, that is groomed very regularly, but a long hair dog. I know she is not allowed in the house, but the hair can blow from her personal (doginal ?) fan on the veranda if the door is left open. :o

(raro) ain't that what they're supposed to do?

Surely a few stray dog hairs shouldn't blow up two machines in a year??? :D