Determining Land Boundary Dimensions From A Chanote

I have the Chanote of land my wife recently bought. On the back of the Chanote I can see that the total land size is 2 rai 2 ngan and 40 talang wah. On the front of the Chanote is a diagram with the lot's land number and the land numbers of the adjacent lots. On the corners are peg numbers. How can I determine the boundary dimensions from the information provided on the Chanote? Is it even possible or do I have to go to the land department or get a survey done in order to determine this?

I have been on the property but I didn't pay enough attention to the numbers on the pegs to know if the ones I saw match those on the Chanote. I basically had to rely on the guidance of a neighbor who spoke no English regarding the land boundaries. Since I am now in the U.S. it would be difficult for me to go to the land office. If there is a way of finding this information out using the Internet that would be ideal. I doubt seriously such land documents would be available but I won't know unless I ask.

The chanotes for the four pieces of land that we have purchased did not contain the information needed to calculate he area and I suspect this is true for all chanotes. The land office does, however, have another document for the land on each chanote (at least foar the chanotes for our land) which contains some coordinates for the "pegs" (called "lahk khet" in Thai) and from these coordinates it is possible to calculate the distances and relative directions between pegs and to calculate the area.

Since you cannot access the land office I won't take the time to find the name for this document but if you want its name just let me know and I'll post it here.....also.....the coordinate system they use is a bit bizarre and if you want I can try to give an explanation of how to convert it so that your measurements come out in metres for distances and square metres for areas.

Chownah

In the U.S. the answer to your question would be the same as in Thailand. Hire a surveyor and have a certified survey performed, relatively cheap in Thailand. The land office has a list of licensed surveyors as do most city directories.

I won't go into how posts or pegs can be moved, etc.

We got the land office to do an "official" survey. Had to give them a month's notice IIRC and it cost a couple of thousand baht. They posted new pegs as we didn't entirely trust the old ones (and they were slightly differently placed).

I have the Chanote of land my wife recently bought. On the back of the Chanote I can see that the total land size is 2 rai 2 ngan and 40 talang wah. On the front of the Chanote is a diagram with the lot's land number and the land numbers of the adjacent lots. On the corners are peg numbers. How can I determine the boundary dimensions from the information provided on the Chanote? Is it even possible or do I have to go to the land department or get a survey done in order to determine this?

I have been on the property but I didn't pay enough attention to the numbers on the pegs to know if the ones I saw match those on the Chanote. I basically had to rely on the guidance of a neighbor who spoke no English regarding the land boundaries. Since I am now in the U.S. it would be difficult for me to go to the land office. If there is a way of finding this information out using the Internet that would be ideal. I doubt seriously such land documents would be available but I won't know unless I ask.

I have some chanotes that have the diagram with the measurements marked on it between boundary points. Others have the diagram with no measurements marked, but I have a separate plot diagram with the measurements that the land office copied for from their records. You should be able to get that also.

My wife has two rai where the house is. It is bordered on two sides by a concrete road. The other long side shows a marker at the front, one in the middle and another on the other end. The marker on the narrow side in front along the road was VERY obviously moved. The neighbor moved it about two and a half meters. My wife really didn't consider it a big deal but I DID because now my privacy wall has an angle in the middle. She says not to worry about it because everyone knows the neighbor is a thief and that every time he or anyone else looks at the wall they will KNOW he is a thief. It would have been a VERY simple thing to have the surveyor come and measure but the wife thought it was better to have the crooked wall. On the other hand it DOES matter to some Thais. The contractor put the wall foundation to the outside edge of the marker in the back. That means we were about two inches on another neighbors property. We had to move the foundation. I told the wife to give the neighbor some money for that two inches but she decided that moving the foundation was better. It's an odd thing that she allows a guy to steal land from her BUT if some store cheats her out of one baht, she gets VERY upset and lets them know about it.

Gary A: Your wife's actions are , excuse me, so Thai. Never complain or take action no matter how egregiously harmed.

My best Thai friend had a relative occupy a government designated right-away used by most of the villagers, such that the village traffic detoured onto my friends property and has been doing it for a few years.

I suggested that a simple visit to the land office should get the situation remedied as encroachment on government land is treated seriously in Thailand, but alas no action taken. Would be interested to know if there are any concepts of "adverse possession" in Thailand?

Gary A: Your wife's actions are , excuse me, so Thai. Never complain or take action no matter how egregiously harmed.

My best Thai friend had a relative occupy a government designated right-away used by most of the villagers, such that the village traffic detoured onto my friends property and has been doing it for a few years.

I suggested that a simple visit to the land office should get the situation remedied as encroachment on government land is treated seriously in Thailand, but alas no action taken. Would be interested to know if there are any concepts of "adverse possession" in Thailand?

It's certainly interesting. My wife's parents had a similar problem They had access to their property from the street between two other houses. The access had been that way for as long as anyone remembers. They just completed building their new house and now the neighbor decided to build an addition on her house. Since that, there is no way to get even a pickup truck to the new house. They decided mai pen rai. The house is now complete so there is no need to be able to get a four wheeled vehicle to their new house. There is still room to walk through or drive a motorbike through. It appears that my wife got it honest.

What is also useful is a 'cadastral' map which will also be available at the land office for your particular area which will show the layout of your land parcel in relation to all of its neighbouring title deeds.

These may or may not have measurements on them so get an official survey carried out, as others have mentioned they are relatively inexpensive and (for the most part) can be relied on.