Thailand And Sri Lanka Propels Bilateral Ties With The Help Of Religion

Jai Dee

Thailand and Sri Lanka propels bilateral ties with the help of religion

Thailand and Sri Lanka are ready to push forward the bilateral cooperation in all areas by using Buddhism as means to develop and strengthen ties between both countries. The religious cooperation between the two countries have initiated more than 25 years ago

The Prime Minister’s Office Minister, Khunying Dhipavadee Meksawan (ทิพาวดี เมฆสวรรค์ รัฐมนตรี), as a representative of Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont, is paying an official visit to Sri Lanka. She had a meeting with Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ratnasiri Wickramanayaka at the Government House of Sri Lanka. The meeting between both officials was friendly.

In addition, Khunying Dhipavadee also had a discussion with Sri Lankan Foreign Affairs Minister Rohipha Bogollagama. Following the discussion, both countries are set to sign memorandums of understanding (MOU) in many areas such as religion, culture, economy, tourism as well as security. Representatives from the two countries also see that religion can be used as an instrument to stimulate bilateral trade and investment.

Concerning national security, Thailand and Sri Lanka agree to jointly suppress terrorism by exchanging views and preventing terrorist acts from taking place.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 28 August 2007

Concerning national security, Thailand and Sri Lanka agree to jointly suppress terrorism by exchanging views and preventing terrorist acts from taking place.

the world's waiting to hear more about this brilliant solution - as the nobel peace prize committee members sharpen their pencils.... :o

the world's waiting to hear more about this brilliant solution - as the nobel peace prize committee members sharpen their pencils.... :o

I'm guessing they'll be exchanging info on the internal unrest. Sri Lanka has the Tamil Tigers and Thailand has the issues in the south.

I'm guessing they'll be exchanging info on the internal unrest. Sri Lanka has the Tamil Tigers and Thailand has the issues in the south.

sure - but how will they "prevent the terrorist acts from taking place" - guess we have to wait till the khunying & her retinue return from their pilgrimage :D

I just came back from there, and discussed the Tamil problem over dinner with some local colleagues. They ended up the discussion by telling me even they don't understand the Tamil problem.

Let's see, what to Tamil Tigers have in common with Thai Muslim separatists? The desire to separate maybe. Not a lot.

Edited by chinthee

sure - but how will they "prevent the terrorist acts from taking place" - guess we have to wait till the khunying & her retinue return from their pilgrimage :D

Luckily it's not an option, but if I remember corretly the tsunami quieted the situation for both countries.