Gm Protest Goes Awry As Passers-by Grab Fruit, Run

Mid

TRANSGENIC CROPS / GREENPEACE DUMPS PAPAYAS AT MINISTRY

GM protest goes awry as passers-by grab fruit, run

Tuesday August 28, 2007

280807_front.jpg

bangkokpost.net

Greenpeace's protest against the lifting of a ban on open-field trials of genetically-modified (GM) papaya yesterday was met with an unexpected reaction from a crowd of onlookers.

Passers-by took matters, and tonnes of papayas dumped by Greenpeace, into their own hands, and ran off.

snip

It IS pretty funny, and I agree, most of us are pretty lucky too. Still, I have plenty of concerns about GM foods. I worry that indigenous plants may disappear and that whatever replaces it may require more pesticides to deal with indigenous pests. I don't like the idea of patents on seeds and that farmers must pay EVERY year for new seed stock. Nice earner for the seed and chemical companies.

A friend of mine has started a seed bank here in Northern Thailand to protect native fruits and vegetables.

http://www.punpunthailand.org/cfabw/en/index.php?action=home

I understand Norway has a big seed bank project underway in a cave on some remote island to protect against a "doomsday" scenario.

Edited by lannarebirth

I understand Norway has a big seed bank project underway in a cave on some remote island to protect against a "doomsday" scenario.

True. It's on the Svalbard islands, at 78 degrees north. We have also imported about 70 Thai's up there to preserve them as well :-D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4605398.stm - the frozen seeds

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/IC27Ae01.html - the frozen Thais

Public hearing on heated GMO issue to be held: Agro Minister

Wednesday 29 August 2007 05:52:48 PM (GMT+7:00)

BANGKOK, Aug 29 (TNA) – Officials from Thailand's Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives will meet with other concerned ministries on the controversial issue of genetically modified organisms (GMO), and a public hearing may be held before its proposal to waive the ban on open-field trials of GM crops will be proposed to the cabinet.

Speaking about a number of non-governmental organisations' opposition to the ministry's plan

to push for a cabinet waiver on the nationwide ban on GMO farming trials, agriculture minister Thira said the ministry has not yet proposed the issue to the cabinet.

snip

etna.mcot.net

I don't like the idea of patents on seeds and that farmers must pay EVERY year for new seed stock. Nice earner for the seed and chemical companies.

Two Subjects here;

GMO

I am all for more testing and trialling and hate the fact that Monsanto use every means trying to push the GMO seeds, but of course they were one of the first to see its potential invested into the technology and also brought out some of the worlds biggest seed companies, Syngenta has done too.

But some of the GMO technology should decrease use of pesticides, such as Bt corn and Cotton. Bt is a natural occurring bacteria, that when sprayed onto plants then digested by caterpillars it kills them. Bt spray is a registered Organic pesticide available in Thailand. SO the smart boffins have been able to implant this gene into the corn and cotton genetics. I sitll believe alot more testing should done, as they are finding in the US now that some of the strains of Bt in the corn the caterpillars are coming resistant. So once they perfect this "if they can", some farmers will be able to cut out upto 8 pesticide applications

of highly toxic chemicals.

As far as GMO Round up Ready corn, now thats playing with fire.......Round Up is the most widley used versatile chemical with few resistance problems on the market.......So now they are going to make corn and cotton a potential weed????

Hybrid Seed

About 80 years in the US, some smart cookie worked out that if he(atcually it might have been a she) removed the flower from a corn plant, and then get the pollen from another plant land on the silk. That this now "hybrid seed" had more vigour than a standard open pollinated seed (or inbred).

So each year now people are developing new inbreds from old hybrids, and cross pollinating thousands of different crosses, and testing and trialling for upto 10-12 years before some hybrids actually reach the market.

Now Hybrid seed corn alone non-GMO was introduced to Thailand about 20 years ago. In the last 10 years the corn area has shrunk by 37% but is still producing the same quantity of corn. So therefore I have no problem for companies to invest years of research, and then expect to be able to creame 15 yrs ( I forget how long it now) of copyright. The cost difference is about 30 bt for open pollinated seed and 100 bt for Hybrid corn. The farmers can chooes to the open pollinated but instead choose the hybrid. So on this issue I don't think you should balme the seed companies for making a buck.

Just some thoughts

• 2 weeks later...

GM Thai rice on sale soon?

By Charlotte Eyre

13/09/2007

A biotechnology boom will soon hit Thailand as the authorities move towards removing a ban on the field testing of biotech products, according to a new report.

If, as expected, the ban is removed, Thailand will be able to develop a national biosafety framework that will give the country a competitive edge against other regions in Asia, the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) report said.

"Until the ban on field trials is removed, Thailand risks being at a disadvantage from neighbouring countries," said Sakchai Preechajarn, who prepared the report.

Although on field trials, and not on laboratory testing, the ban has effectively placed a moratorium on the advancement of biotechnology in Thailand, the report said.

Furthermore, although there is strong opposition in Thailand, the technology is widely misunderstood, the report added.

snip

foodtechnology.com