Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ASEAN NOW

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Iran Conflict at a Glance 19 Aug 2026

Featured Replies

Iran Conflict at a Glance 19 Aug 2026

Iran Tankers at rest.jpg

Trump says no Iran talks as Hormuz crisis deepens

President Donald Trump says the United States has no talks planned with Iran, despite continuing efforts by Oman and Iran to reach an agreement allowing shipping through the Strait of Hormuz to resume. Trump insists the waterway is “open and operating” while simultaneously saying the US blockade of Iranian ports remains fully in force. The reality appears rather different: shipping traffic through Hormuz fell almost 20% last week to just 95 confirmed crossings, with only three vessels making the passage on Sunday. Trump has also reportedly threatened Oman over its efforts to broker an arrangement with Iran, while Tehran says the strait will not fully reopen until its conditions are met. The increasingly contradictory positions leave the crucial waterway caught between an American blockade, Iranian demands and an Omani attempt to negotiate a way out.

Egypt sees possible route back to US-Iran negotiations

Egypt says a potential agreement between Iran and Oman over the Strait of Hormuz could provide a pathway towards renewed negotiations between Washington and Tehran. Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty said an Iranian-Omani deal could help open the door to a “comprehensive and permanent deal” addressing the wider security concerns of the region. The comments come as the 60-day negotiating period between the US and Iran expires without an obvious end to the war. However, Trump's latest declaration that Washington has no talks planned with Tehran suggests the diplomatic route remains extremely uncertain.

Ship hit by projectile in Strait of Hormuz

The dangers facing commercial shipping through Hormuz were underlined when an unidentified projectile struck a vessel near Oman, damaging its engine room and causing a crew casualty, according to Britain's UK Maritime Trade Operations centre. Details of the vessel, cargo and the condition of the injured crew member have not yet been released. There was no reported environmental damage and the Omani Coast Guard was assisting the remaining crew. The incident comes as commercial traffic through the strait has collapsed, providing a stark reminder that even vessels attempting to navigate the waterway face potentially serious risks.

Houthis threaten Saudi oil facilities

Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen claim they launched drones against a Saudi Aramco oil refinery in Saudi Arabia, potentially opening another dangerous front in the wider Middle East conflict. There was no immediate confirmation from Riyadh of damage or casualties, but the claim comes as the Houthis intensify attacks against Yemen's government forces, Saudi interests and Red Sea shipping. Saudi Arabia supports Yemen's internationally recognised government and has previously been targeted by Houthi missiles and drones. Any sustained campaign against Saudi oil infrastructure could have consequences far beyond Yemen, particularly while the Strait of Hormuz remains severely disrupted.

Israeli strike kills six in Gaza City

An Israeli strike in Gaza City killed six people, including a child, and wounded another 14, according to Shifa Hospital. Israel's military said it targeted Hamas commanders in the Shati area who were allegedly preparing attacks against Israeli forces. Although the intensity of fighting has fallen since the October ceasefire, Israeli airstrikes have continued and Gaza health officials say at least 1,266 Palestinians have been killed since the ceasefire began. Israel maintains that its operations are directed at Hamas militants, while the continuing civilian casualties demonstrate that the conflict remains far from settled despite the reduction in large-scale fighting.

UAE reports Iranian missile launches

The United Arab Emirates says Iran launched two ballistic missiles towards the UAE, with one falling outside Emirati waters and another landing inside them. No casualties or damage were reported, and it was unclear whether either missile had been intercepted. Iran subsequently denied launching the missiles, accusing the UAE of making baseless allegations that could damage regional efforts to rebuild trust. If confirmed, however, the incident would mark the first reported Iranian missile attack against the UAE in several weeks and would demonstrate that the regional military confrontation remains capable of reigniting even as diplomatic efforts attempt to bring the wider conflict under control.

SOURCE

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.