Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ASEAN NOW

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Transferring from Wise to UOB in Thailand

Featured Replies

I just tried to make a transfer from my Wise account to my UOB account in Thailand in Thai Baht, but I wasn’t able to complete the transfer. When I tried to proceed with the transfer in the Wise app, I got the following error message:

Oops… something went wrong

The recipient bank currently does not support cross-border remittances.

I called Wise, and they explained that they’re not sure what the issue is. They said it could be some sort of restriction on my particular UOB account, or possibly an issue with UOB in general that they’re currently unaware of. But they said that the issue is on UOB's side and not theirs and they suggested that I contact UOB directly for more answers.

In the end, I didn’t bother contacting UOB. Instead, I sent the money to one of my other Thai bank accounts and then transferred it from there to UOB.

I’ve transferred money from Wise to UOB in Thailand in the past, and it was never a problem. Granted, it’s been well over a year since I last tried to transfer from Wise to UOB, but everything worked fine back then.

I’m wondering if anyone else has recently experienced something similar with Wise when transferring to UOB. I'm trying to figure out if this is potentially an issue with my particular UOB account, or if it is a general issue with UOB in Thailand.

According to Wise......

Screenshot_2026-09-03-20-08-09-619_com.transferwise.android-edit.jpg

  • Author
4 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

According to Wise......

Screenshot_2026-09-03-20-08-09-619_com.transferwise.android-edit.jpg

Thank you for that. That answers the question. I'm surprised the agent that I spoke with at Wise wasn't able to give me that information.

Anyway, I pulled up that article that you screenshotted and the list of Thai banks no longer supported is rather extensive. Most of the other banks aren't that big, but I'm surprised that UOB would no longer be up to date on their systems. I copied the full list of the unsupported banks from Wise and pasted it below in case anybody else might be interested.

TMBThanachart Bank (011)

Citibank (017)

Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (018)

Standard Chartered Bank (020)

United Overseas Bank (024)

HSBC (031)

Deutsche Bank (032)

The Government Housing Bank (033)

Mizuho Corporate Bank (039)

BNP Paribas (045)

Bank Of China (052)

Thanachart Bank (065)

Islamic Bank Of Thailand (066)

TISCO Bank (067)

ICBC (070)

The Thai Credit Retail Bank (071)

Land And Houses Retail Bank (073)

Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank (Thai) PCL (080)

Edited by ONIB

57 minutes ago, ONIB said:

I just tried to make a transfer from my Wise account to my UOB account in Thailand in Thai Baht, but I wasn’t able to complete the transfer. When I tried to proceed with the transfer in the Wise app, I got the following error message:

Oops… something went wrong

The recipient bank currently does not support cross-border remittances.

I called Wise, and they explained that they’re not sure what the issue is. They said it could be some sort of restriction on my particular UOB account, or possibly an issue with UOB in general that they’re currently unaware of. But they said that the issue is on UOB's side and not theirs and they suggested that I contact UOB directly for more answers.

In the end, I didn’t bother contacting UOB. Instead, I sent the money to one of my other Thai bank accounts and then transferred it from there to UOB.

I’ve transferred money from Wise to UOB in Thailand in the past, and it was never a problem. Granted, it’s been well over a year since I last tried to transfer from Wise to UOB, but everything worked fine back then.

I’m wondering if anyone else has recently experienced something similar with Wise when transferring to UOB. I'm trying to figure out if this is potentially an issue with my particular UOB account, or if it is a general issue with UOB in Thailand.

Advertisement

It is not longer possible to transfer from Wise directly to UOB, I had the same issue. For all the major Thai banks there is no problem with transfers.

Edited by msbkk

  • Author
7 minutes ago, msbkk said:

It is not longer possible to transfer from Wise directly to UOB, I had the same issue. For all the major Thai banks there is no problem with transfers.

Thanks. I'm just fortunate that I also have an account at one of the major Thai banks that I was able to transfer the money too or I would have been really out of luck.

The same article on Wise says that your transfer will be instant if you transfer to any of the following Thai banks. Note that Bangkok Bank isn't on that list.

Kasikorn Bank

Krung Thai Bank

Siam Commercial Bank

CIMB Thai Bank

Bank Of Ayudhya (Krungsri bank)

Kiatnakin Phatra Bank

1 hour ago, ONIB said:

Thanks. I'm just fortunate that I also have an account at one of the major Thai banks that I was able to transfer the money too or I would have been really out of luck.

The same article on Wise says that your transfer will be instant if you transfer to any of the following Thai banks. Note that Bangkok Bank isn't on that list.

Kasikorn Bank

Krung Thai Bank

Siam Commercial Bank

CIMB Thai Bank

Bank Of Ayudhya (Krungsri bank)

Kiatnakin Phatra Bank

Yes, it is always good to have at least one more account as backup.

  • Author
1 hour ago, msbkk said:

Yes, it is always good to have at least one more account as backup.

Thanks. I actually have accounts at most of the major Thai banks, but I keep most of my savings with UOB in accounts that don't have ATM cards issued on them and have the transfer function disabled for security reasons. So I use UOB mainly as a holding account and one of my other Thai bank accounts for most of my daily spending in Thailand and for local QR and utility bill payments.

11 hours ago, ONIB said:

Thanks. I'm just fortunate that I also have an account at one of the major Thai banks that I was able to transfer the money too or I would have been really out of luck.

The same article on Wise says that your transfer will be instant if you transfer to any of the following Thai banks. Note that Bangkok Bank isn't on that list.

Kasikorn Bank

Krung Thai Bank

Siam Commercial Bank

CIMB Thai Bank

Bank Of Ayudhya (Krungsri bank)

Kiatnakin Phatra Bank

Regarding Bangkok Bank, whenever I transfer to my Bangkok Bank with wise the money normally lands the following day if I make the transfer in the afternoon. If I make the transfer early morning say prior to 10am it arrives after 2pm same day.

I asked at the main UOB branch in Phuket about six months ago as to why it was not possible for Wise to make transfers to my UOB account. Nobody there had a clue, suggesting that I take the matter up with UOB head office in Bangkok. I didn't have time to do that, so like msbkk and ONIB I just transferred to my Bangkok Bank account and then transferred to UOB from there. But Bangkok Bank can be very slow crediting the funds. In my case it took five days (three working days because it included a weekend).

12 hours ago, ONIB said:

Thank you for that. That answers the question. I'm surprised the agent that I spoke with at Wise wasn't able to give me that information.

Anyway, I pulled up that article that you screenshotted and the list of Thai banks no longer supported is rather extensive. Most of the other banks aren't that big, but I'm surprised that UOB would no longer be up to date on their systems. I copied the full list of the unsupported banks from Wise and pasted it below in case anybody else might be interested.

TMBThanachart Bank (011)

Citibank (017)

Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (018)

Standard Chartered Bank (020)

United Overseas Bank (024)

HSBC (031)

Deutsche Bank (032)

The Government Housing Bank (033)

Mizuho Corporate Bank (039)

BNP Paribas (045)

Bank Of China (052)

Thanachart Bank (065)

Islamic Bank Of Thailand (066)

TISCO Bank (067)

ICBC (070)

The Thai Credit Retail Bank (071)

Land And Houses Retail Bank (073)

Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank (Thai) PCL (080)

Yes, I am with TTB and ran into the same problem a few weeks back.

Had forgotten about the notice they posted last year.

In the case of BKKBk it seems to depend on what you're trying to do from the Wise end.

For me I only ever do a transfer to Wise from my Oz bank in AUD, then immediately use Wise to change to ฿ & immediately transfer to BKKBk. The transfer takes all of 5 seconds.

Same problem with me. Before Bank of Thailand implemented new rules, transfers to UOB from wise worked fine. Everything generally worked better before my account was transferred to UOB from Citibank. Employees in UOB Asoke branch (former Citibank branch) all complain, that UOB is in a sense quite backwards and does not offer services Citibank had.

I have noticed that THB transfers from Wise do not work, however SWIFT transfers work fine. So If you use wise to transfer with SWIFT funds will arrive, however you will have to choose different currency to do that. For example, transfer USD or EUR to UOB using SWIFT and funds will arrive. This however in a way defeats the purpose of Wise as foreign currency will then be converted by UOB rather than more efficient Wise.

Another option is to hold a foreign currency account with UOB, however they do not allow on-line currency conversion, but only manual in the branch.

5 hours ago, Golden Brown said:

Regarding Bangkok Bank, whenever I transfer to my Bangkok Bank with wise the money normally lands the following day if I make the transfer in the afternoon. If I make the transfer early morning say prior to 10am it arrives after 2pm same day.

I transferred THAI baht. converted from my WISE AUD account, to my BBL account last Wed evening and it arrived in seconds.

Also gone were the

"Reason for transfer"

AND

"Do you require this trf to show as a foreign transfer "(sic)

Just "Send" (after inputting around of AUD to convert)

and it was gone.

A few months ago the trf used to arrive at 2pm the next day.

Not now,

Something has changed.

  • Author
7 hours ago, Golden Brown said:

Regarding Bangkok Bank, whenever I transfer to my Bangkok Bank with wise the money normally lands the following day if I make the transfer in the afternoon. If I make the transfer early morning say prior to 10am it arrives after 2pm same day.

Thanks. I don't really use Bangkok Bank so it isn't much of a concern for me in general. But recently I have sent a few payments to other accounts at Bangkok Bank and they did arrive in seconds. In the past it was slower, but recently it has gotten quicker again. Maybe because Wise is now actually operating in Thailand.

  • Author
6 hours ago, banyanman said:

I asked at the main UOB branch in Phuket about six months ago as to why it was not possible for Wise to make transfers to my UOB account. Nobody there had a clue, suggesting that I take the matter up with UOB head office in Bangkok. I didn't have time to do that, so like msbkk and ONIB I just transferred to my Bangkok Bank account and then transferred to UOB from there. But Bangkok Bank can be very slow crediting the funds. In my case it took five days (three working days because it included a weekend).

Thanks for letting me know. I ended up sending the money from Wise to SCB, which was instant, and then onto UOB.

My only reason for wanting to send it directly to UOB was to skip the hassle of all the facial recognition scans. To make the transfer from SCB to UOB, I first had to raise my SCB transfer limits (which I keep low by default for security), scan my face to approve the change, scan my face again to make the transfer, and then scan my face a third time to lower the limits back down.

It wasn't a huge deal, just a bit of extra work, and everything went through smoothly. It's a shame UOB hasn't gotten onboard with Wise yet, but realistically, I usually only transfer money into UOB once a year. Since it's an annual thing, doing it in two steps isn't a big deal. If I were doing weekly or monthly transfers, I'd probably be a lot more bothered by it, but luckily I don't have to.

  • Author
1 hour ago, orchidfan said:

I transferred THAI baht. converted from my WISE AUD account, to my BBL account last Wed evening and it arrived in seconds.

Also gone were the

"Reason for transfer"

AND

"Do you require this trf to show as a foreign transfer "(sic)

Just "Send" (after inputting around of AUD to convert)

and it was gone.

A few months ago the trf used to arrive at 2pm the next day.

Not now,

Something has changed.

It might be because Wise started fully operating in Thailand in August with their own license from the BOT. So maybe it has helped speed things up with transfer to BBL. But since they are operating within Thailand now you would think they could also transfer directly to any Thai bank. Who knows, but maybe in a few months from now they will announce something new where they can transfer directly to all Thai banks again. *Fingers Crossed*

On 9/4/2026 at 8:30 AM, orchidfan said:

Also gone were the

"Reason for transfer"

They now automatically use the last reason used, however there is a small button you can click if you want to change it.

On 9/4/2026 at 4:03 PM, ONIB said:

It might be because Wise started fully operating in Thailand in August with their own license from the BOT. So maybe it has helped speed things up with transfer to BBL. But since they are operating within Thailand now you would think they could also transfer directly to any Thai bank. Who knows, but maybe in a few months from now they will announce something new where they can transfer directly to all Thai banks again. *Fingers Crossed*

Hi All I wondered if anyone else has had this continuing problem and my Wise A/C was working well just last week and yes I use LLoyds Bank to transfer my GSB to Thai Baht to my SCB account and can get in to my accounts, but last week despite stating the correct password and also vaious ways and got a new model with exactly the same mobile address, but Wise now states no account exists and even keeping the same mobile number and apparently Wise does not like it.
No problem with my LLoyds internet banking that got transferred and no problem.

On another similar issue I intended to open a second GSB account and set up with LLoyds and was told by my local branch I cannot do, due to new regulations by the Authorities and the existing account is still valid, but one can deposit money in and there were forms regarding inheritance and in any case I or my wife can not withdraw not even one Baht,
Anyone else having thes problems and thanks for any help.

Edited by jwest10
just an error

8 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Hi All I wondered if anyone else has had this continuing problem and my Wise A/C was working well just last week and yes I use LLoyds Bank to transfer my GSB to Thai Baht to my SCB account and can get in to my accounts, but last week despite stating the correct password and also vaious ways and got a new model with exactly the same mobile address, but Wise now states no account exists and even keeping the same mobile number and apparently Wise does not like it.
No problem with my LLoyds internet banking that got transferred and no problem.

On another similar issue I intended to open a second GSB account and set up with LLoyds and was told by my local branch I cannot do, due to new regulations by the Authorities and the existing account is still valid, but one can deposit money in and there were forms regarding inheritance and in any case I or my wife can not withdraw not even one Baht,
Anyone else having thes problems and thanks for any help.

You could try logging into wise from a computer rather than the phone app.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.