Recycling Household Waste

khall64au

Since rubbish is such a HOT topic on Phuket now, perhaps we can collaborate on where to drop-off clean, recyclable waste ie. plastics, glass, aluminium cans, paper, etc.

Once we have collected the info - it can be pinned for all members to refer to and take along separated household waste?

Eg. I drop off SEPARATED cans, glass, paper, etc to the Rawai Or Bor Tor Depot where I know the items are collected and re-sold for recycling.

Please list any other points on the island where we could take our clean waste items?

What I would love to see is a toxic waste collection. I've walked around Patong and Karon enough to have seen oil cans, left over paint, and old asbestos fire cladding tossed into the rubbish bins. The worst was watching some painters pour their left over oil based paint into the storm drain.

I drop off SEPARATED cans, glass, paper, etc to the Rawai Or Bor Tor Depot where I know the items are collected and re-sold for recycling.

Please list any other points on the island where we could take our clean waste items?

Great idea to pin a list for those of us not on the trash-picker route.

Where exactly is the Rawai OrBorTor depot?

I drop off SEPARATED cans, glass, paper, etc to the Rawai Or Bor Tor Depot where I know the items are collected and re-sold for recycling.

Driving along the Rawai seafront from Chalong - at the far end, turn left to Cape Promthep. On the corner is the Rawai OrBorTor depot and sharp left at the next corner for the waste drop-off. (Leave in neat bags).

my rubbish is 'gone through' on a regular basis by the elves during the day and all recyclables are removed and taken off for resale. I dont have a lot of rubbish anyway for some reason, but the little i do have ends up being miniscule due to the elves.

my gardener takes away plastic bottles and cans (very few), the elves take glass and paper. not much left after that really.

i do, however, try to minimise the amount of plastic bags that i use and if i can get away without using one, i generally do.

Driving along the Rawai seafront from Chalong - at the far end, turn left to Cape Promthep. On the corner is the Rawai OrBorTor depot and sharp left at the next corner for the waste drop-off. (Leave in neat bags).

Thanks. I've seen the public buildings in that area but though it was the fire brigade or something, LOL.

What about Big Items??

I onece asked aobut the proper way to dispose of an lold TV and the replies were leave it out on the sidewalk and some one will take it, and sure enought they did.

but what if you're trying to get rid of an old stove or dead refrigerator or washer?

There is a big recycling center called Wongpanit on the road between Lotus and Kathu village near the new Heritage housing estate. They will buy your garbage from you - cans, glass, plastic, paper, whatever.

I saw that place the other day and wondered. Thanks for the explanation!

There is a big recycling center called Wongpanit on the road between Lotus and Kathu village near the new Heritage housing estate. They will buy your garbage from you - cans, glass, plastic, paper, whatever.

Ahhhh that makes a lot of scence. I saw a ton of glass and broken plastic beach loungers there post-Tsunami.

I'll have to check that out. THANKS

I didn't know anyone bought glass.

It's such a shame to waste anything and i prefer drinking beer out of glass but don't because i thought it wasn't recyclable. (i heard that bars can return them if they keep them in the box only)

Thanks. I've seen the public buildings in that area but though it was the fire brigade or something, LOL.

I thought it was the fire brigade too

I didn't know anyone bought glass.

It's such a shame to waste anything and i prefer drinking beer out of glass but don't because i thought it wasn't recyclable. (i heard that bars can return them if they keep them in the box only)

They bought a bag of bottles from me (yeh, you get just a few satang, so not worth it for the money, only for the planet, eh) and the guy said they much prefer to get them in boxes.