Visa Run Accident

Heard that Herbert, aka "Herman the German", failed to stop at a portable stopsign during a visa run a few days ago.

This resulting in a palmtree crashing into his minibus injuring several people.

Anyone got any first hand information regarding this incident?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heard that Herbert, aka "Herman the German", failed to stop at a portable stopsign during a visa run a few days ago.

Gotta say im not the least bit suprised. Herman look more on his clock than on the road. A friend of mine almost got an eploaded blatter since Herman wouldnt let his thaidriver stop 2 minuites so he could take a leak. 8 passengers in the bus told him to stop but according to Herman we couldnt afford the lost of time!! ######ing nutcase. But ok. Make complete sence to ruch all you can to come to a hotell in the middle of nowere 10 minuites earlier!! He started the whole trip by saying "we are already late!" since it was 2 min past tre and the boat still had not started!! Craziest guy in the world and something is about to happen when you stress like this in traffic. Unsafe and pointless. I say, screw his "40-hour visa-run" and take the safe alternative with for instans firefly.

Gotta say im not the least bit suprised. Herman look more on his clock than on the road. A friend of mine almost got an eploaded blatter since Herman wouldnt let his thaidriver stop 2 minuites so he could take a leak. 8 passengers in the bus told him to stop but according to Herman we couldnt afford the lost of time!! ######ing nutcase. But ok. Make complete sence to ruch all you can to come to a hotell in the middle of nowere 10 minuites earlier!! He started the whole trip by saying "we are already late!" since it was 2 min past tre and the boat still had not started!! Craziest guy in the world and something is about to happen when you stress like this in traffic. Unsafe and pointless. I say, screw his "40-hour visa-run" and take the safe alternative with for instans firefly.

And I'll be the first to second you on that. Slow down and live or speed and hit snake eyes! :o

I think i would have pissed in a bottle and then whooshed in hermans face,sounds like its the only way the muppet would stop...mega dangerous visa run!...not for me :o

I think i would have pissed in a bottle and then whooshed in hermans face,sounds like its the only way the muppet would stop...mega dangerous visa run!...not for me :o

Yeah, ironicly (is that a word in englich??) he tried!! He had an empty redbullbottle and tried to "sneek" out a little of it, thats how much he needed to go!! But on the roads in the south, sitting in a toyotavan in 150 km/hour you wont hit the bottle!! He just couldnt! And Herberts German friend sitting beside him then called up herbert and said this guy was making problems because he wanted the stop. And he missunderstood the sneeking with the bottle and thoght he was trying to drink alcohol witch also is not allowed on the trip. A visarun with Herbert sure is something you never forget!! Hahaha. I actually told Herbert himself that if he added a few hours so he can slow down it would be an ok trip and i would recommend it. He told me that he heard what i said but he wont change anything. Well, i wont recommend it!! Anyway i sure hope that no innocent people on a visarun gets injured seriously because of his crazy behavior, but unfortunately i think sooner or later something will happen. They should close that buisness for safety reasons.

1.) "Herman the German" it happens that he is of Austrian descent! Me as a born and bred german feel insulted by such comparison's! reminds me on this historic "German", the Fuehrer, who wasn't German either!

2.) What is a "portable Stop sign", is it a new invention by Thailand's Finest, used at random, to cash in on fines?

3.) I have been on several runs with him, must say it's not always "on razors edge" - but most of the time. why he does it this way - I do NOT understand - an hour earlier or later - the day is wasted anyway. Not to talk about the incredible risk he puts KNOWINGLY ALL of his passengers into. This should be stopped BEFORE 11 People are seriously injured in the ICU!

3.) My last Visa Run with him, was certainly my last... had a bad stomach, was close to relieve myself in the Van! The X-tra topping on the pizza was that the driver stopped the Van on the highway, he did NOT drive it on to the Petrol Station! I had to RUN to the toilet!

On return I was told that I made 20 People wait and that because of this unscheduled break 20 people will miss the early ferry - what the heck is one hour?

A BIG BIG Sorry, but what would have happened if they wouldn't have stopped, :o I wonder......

However, there is a BIG BANG in the books, one day, one curve, one double line is passed one time too often!

There are several options for visa runs and the people who use Herberts service regularly are the people who want FAST visa runs. I was a repeat customer every 3 months while I live in Samui because I knew it was fast and cheap. There is no reason you cant piss before you get on the van, and if you cant hold your piss for 4 hours then you have bigger problems.

He is certainly not the safest driver -- and neither is his thai counterpart, but I always appreciated the time saved and we never had any close call, accidents, etc, in the 5-6 times I went with him

There are several options for visa runs and the people who use Herberts service regularly are the people who want FAST visa runs. I was a repeat customer every 3 months while I live in Samui because I knew it was fast and cheap. There is no reason you cant piss before you get on the van, and if you cant hold your piss for 4 hours then you have bigger problems.

He is certainly not the safest driver -- and neither is his thai counterpart, but I always appreciated the time saved and we never had any close call, accidents, etc, in the 5-6 times I went with him

I mean thats how Hebert say: "piss now because we dont stop in 4 hours". Maybe im special or something is wrong with me but i for one can not piss on order. What if i pissed 2 hours ago and cant piss before the van starts. That means no piss in 6 hours. What "bigger problems" do i have then? And that you never had a close call in your visaruns, proves exactly what?? That its safe?? Totally dont get FAST visaruns. Is there people living on a tropical island that really care that much about the hours?? A visarun is 3 days down the drain no matter how you do. Just set off 3 days and dont book anything else. I Still say its a sick way of doing it, but i am surprised some people seem to like it. I went only one time and it took me 3 hours of that visarun to decide its never gonna happen again.

But ok, people that are in such a hurry that they are willing to take medical risks (wich it is to hold your piss on thai bumpy roads in highspeed), and to take the risk of trafficaccident (150 km/hour with a van, one hole to big in the road and the driver who sleep about 5 hours on the whole trip will loose control), to save 5 hours (allthought when you come home you havent had a bed for the last 24 hours so you probably go straight to bed anyway), for them it is a great, cheap alternative. For the rest of us : Firefly.

You guys are being very unfair.

This is a long post, but I feel I have to qualify certain aspects of his service. I am posting this as I know Herbert, and I feel strongly that this bad press you guys are so casually posting is unfair, and unjust.

Visa Runs with Herbert do exactly what they say on the tin' - quick, cheap, no messing about. His main selling point and reputation is that you know from start to finish, it’s going to be very organized.

Seems some of you disagree with his 'pee pee' rules. Yup, it is reminiscent of being on a school coach trip as a 12 year old but there is a method to his madness. Everything is planned so accurately, the slightest thing out of routine can cause problems.

For example, he does make it clear on the ferry, early in the morning that there will be scheduled stops and they will not be deviated from. He explains, quite clearly, that 'that’s the way it is - we don’t stop for anything or anyone apart from the scheduled stops'. He explains that no booze is allowed on the bus and also explains that you should maybe use the ferry toilet before getting on the bus, as you won’t have a chance for another few hours. These trips are scheduled with the logic that after 3 hours, the chances are that most people will need a piss - as apposed to just one person, after one hour. 5 people all making unscheduled stops, 5 times would probably cost him an hour - and, he still has to make his scheduled stops. The only reason that this could be a problem is if you have a medical condition - and if that’s the case, you should not be on a visa run with any company, full stop.

If he lets one person stop at a service station after say, one hour, you can almost guarantee that someone else will get out. Then the hung-over guy who has been caning it all night slips away and buys a can of beer, lights a cigarette, Herbert asks him to get back on the bus, the drunk guy takes issue and starts an argument…. Etc etc, et al.

Visa runs are not as simple as you think to organize. Not if you want efficiency.

Who cares about loosing an hour you ask? Well, he does., and so do most of the people on the bus. Don’t forget, Herbert is up at like 3am in order to fly around the ringroad picking everyone up before the ferry - many visa run companies ask you to make your own way to the travel agency. Then, when he gets to the hotel later that night and everyone else jumps in bed, he takes your passports, application forms, money etc and sits in his room making sure everything is organized and spot on. Then he has to pay the hotel, find out who is in which room, plus he has to eat just like everyone else! This takes a good couple of hours. Then he is up the next morning a good hour before everyone else, organsing the morning ahead. The quicker he gets to the hotel, the better. The alternative is to casually drive to the border, and let everyone organize it all themselves at the border. You can almost guarantee, it will take ten times as long this way - especially considering the idiots that get the paperwork wrong and delay everyone else.

Also, think of the benefits when you actually get to the consulate. You are in and out in 5 minutes. A Thai company would just drop you off there and let you get on with it. He takes you there, ensures you are in and out quickly, then drops you off at the shopping mall for a couple hours and tells you precisely where to meet him, at what time, and hand delivers your passport baqck to you – after checking it to ensure all is in order.

And why is Herbert being singled out for driving fast? ALL visa run companies in those little mini busses drive fast and crazy!!! AT least with Herbert, you have a good chance of relaxing in a Mercedes mini bus with lots of room and a selection of DVD's to choose from. This is preferable to being crammed into a tiny, 15 year old min bus with faulty air con.

The point is - it is not the speed at which they drive that helps you achieve a quick visa run as they all drive fast. It’s the organization. He plans everything so finely that any deviation can ruin the day.

I have been on probably 20 visa runs with Herbert and let me say, after the fiascos I have experienced with the Thai visa run companies, I would never dream of going with anyone else. Herbert is no more dangerous than any other operator and you know there will be no hassles, problems or delays at the border - which you can almost guarantee with a Thai visa runner.

All this talk of danger makes me laugh. He has been doing visa runs for many many years and how many times has anyone ever been hurt? Never! An average of 4 trips a week for 4 years - thats the best part of 800 visa runs and how many accidents? None!!! I heard a completley different version of events to the OP; I was told by a person who was actualy on the trip that the van was driving at its usual speed, and there was a tree that fell into the road. A freak accident that can happen to anyone at anytime and certainly absoloutley nothing to do with Herbert driving reckless - that is very unfair. This is the first time in circa 800 vis runs that he has had an accident and i must stress, it was precisley that - an accident, that can happen to anyone.

A newcomer to his service will get the immediate initial impresion that Herbert is almost like a military seargent major issuing orders to his subjects. The fact is, he has a responsibility to his customers to provide a well organized trip. He has to make sure that everyone understands clearly how the day will pan out. When you stop at the service station and he shouts out loud '10 minutes and not a second more', he is not bullying you, he is ensuring that he dosent let you down becasue of the one guy who wanders off to talk to his tee rak on the mobile for half an hour. Once his 'orders' and 'instructions' are made clear, he always kicks back with the customers for a laugh and a joke and is generaly a firendly guy.

As you can probably gather from my post, I would STRONGLY recommend Herbert for a visa run and I can honestly say, hand on heart, that he is the most organized, reliable, hassle free visa runner in the entire Kingdom. And yes, feel free to make a joke of this rather bold statement but it’s the truth; I have been on visa trips from Samui, Phuket, Bangkok, Kanchanaburi with several different companies and I have experienced problems with the service. Never, in all my trips with Herbert, have I ever experience problems – on the contrary, they have always been seamless, quick, efficient and you have e general sense that someone is there taking control.

Edited by GetBackJoJo

This is a long post, but I feel I have to qualify certain aspects of his service. I am posting this as I know Herbert, and I feel strongly that this bad press you guys are so casually posting is unfair, and unjust.

Visa Runs with Herbert do exactly what they say on the tin' - quick, cheap, no messing about. His main selling point and reputation is that you know from start to finish, it’s going to be very organized.

Seems some of you disagree with his 'pee pee' rules. Yup, it is reminiscent of being on a school coach trip as a 12 year old but there is a method to his madness. Everything is planned so accurately, the slightest thing out of routine can cause problems.

For example, he does make it clear on the ferry, early in the morning that there will be scheduled stops and they will not be deviated from. He explains, quite clearly, that 'that’s the way it is - we don’t stop for anything or anyone apart from the scheduled stops'. He explains that no booze is allowed on the bus and also explains that you should maybe use the ferry toilet before getting on the bus, as you won’t have a chance for another few hours. These trips are scheduled with the logic that after 3 hours, the chances are that most people will need a piss - as apposed to just one person, after one hour. 5 people all making unscheduled stops, 5 times would probably cost him an hour - and, he still has to make his scheduled stops. The only reason that this could be a problem is if you have a medical condition - and if that’s the case, you should not be on a visa run with any company, full stop.

If he lets one person stop at a service station after say, one hour, you can almost guarantee that someone else will get out. Then the hung-over guy who has been caning it all night slips away and buys a can of beer, lights a cigarette, Herbert asks him to get back on the bus, the drunk guy takes issue and starts an argument…. Etc etc, et al.

Visa runs are not as simple as you think to organize. Not if you want efficiency.

Who cares about loosing an hour you ask? Well, he does., and so do most of the people on the bus. Don’t forget, Herbert is up at like 3am in order to fly around the ringroad picking everyone up before the ferry - many visa run companies ask you to make your own way to the travel agency. Then, when he gets to the hotel later that night and everyone else jumps in bed, he takes your passports, application forms, money etc and sits in his room making sure everything is organized and spot on. Then he has to pay the hotel, find out who is in which room, plus he has to eat just like everyone else! This takes a good couple of hours. Then he is up the next morning a good hour before everyone else, organsing the morning ahead. The quicker he gets to the hotel, the better. The alternative is to casually drive to the border, and let everyone organize it all themselves at the border. You can almost guarantee, it will take ten times as long this way - especially considering the idiots that get the paperwork wrong and delay everyone else.

Also, think of the benefits when you actually get to the consulate. You are in and out in 5 minutes. A Thai company would just drop you off there and let you get on with it. He takes you there, ensures you are in and out quickly, then drops you off at the shopping mall for a couple hours and tells you precisely where to meet him, at what time, and hand delivers your passport baqck to you – after checking it to ensure all is in order.

And why is Herbert being singled out for driving fast? ALL visa run companies in those little mini busses drive fast and crazy!!! AT least with Herbert, you have a good chance of relaxing in a Mercedes mini bus with lots of room and a selection of DVD's to choose from. This is preferable to being crammed into a tiny, 15 year old min bus with faulty air con.

The point is - it is not the speed at which they drive that helps you achieve a quick visa run as they all drive fast. It’s the organization. He plans everything so finely that any deviation can ruin the day.

I have been on probably 20 visa runs with Herbert and let me say, after the fiascos I have experienced with the Thai visa run companies, I would never dream of going with anyone else. Herbert is no more dangerous than any other operator and you know there will be no hassles, problems or delays at the border - which you can almost guarantee with a Thai visa runner.

All this talk of danger makes me laugh. He has been doing visa runs for many many years and how many times has anyone ever been hurt? Never! An average of 4 trips a week for 4 years - thats the best part of 800 visa runs and how many accidents? None!!! I heard a completley different version of events to the OP; I was told by a person who was actualy on the trip that the van was driving at its usual speed, and there was a tree that fell into the road. A freak accident that can happen to anyone at anytime and certainly absoloutley nothing to do with Herbert driving reckless - that is very unfair. This is the first time in circa 800 vis runs that he has had an accident and i must stress, it was precisley that - an accident, that can happen to anyone.

A newcomer to his service will get the immediate initial impresion that Herbert is almost like a military seargent major issuing orders to his subjects. The fact is, he has a responsibility to his customers to provide a well organized trip. He has to make sure that everyone understands clearly how the day will pan out. When you stop at the service station and he shouts out loud '10 minutes and not a second more', he is not bullying you, he is ensuring that he dosent let you down becasue of the one guy who wanders off to talk to his tee rak on the mobile for half an hour. Once his 'orders' and 'instructions' are made clear, he always kicks back with the customers for a laugh and a joke and is generaly a firendly guy.

As you can probably gather from my post, I would STRONGLY recommend Herbert for a visa run and I can honestly say, hand on heart, that he is the most organized, reliable, hassle free visa runner in the entire Kingdom. And yes, feel free to make a joke of this rather bold statement but it’s the truth; I have been on visa trips from Samui, Phuket, Bangkok, Kanchanaburi with several different companies and I have experienced problems with the service. Never, in all my trips with Herbert, have I ever experience problems – on the contrary, they have always been seamless, quick, efficient and you have e general sense that someone is there taking control.

spot on, GetBackJoJo, after countless visa runs with herbert i can confirm all you wrote above.

his visa trips are reliable, well-organized, hassle-free and quick. can only recommend them.

If he is drving the bus,which a FARANG IS NOT ALLOWED TO DO FOR HIRE OR REWARD, where do you stand if he has an accident.

At the end of the day no matter how good his service is or lack of, I do not know him from a bar of soap, if he is driving he is undertaking an illegal activity.Sounds harsh? Look at all the other people that were doing things in thailand they shouldn't be doing.Who pays the price at the end of the day?

Visa Runs with Herbert do exactly what they say on the tin' - quick, cheap, no messing about. His main selling point and reputation is that you know from start to finish, it's going to be very organized.

For example, he does make it clear on the ferry, early in the morning that there will be scheduled stops and they will not be deviated from. He explains, quite clearly, that 'that's the way it is - we don't stop for anything or anyone apart from the scheduled stops'. He explains that no booze is allowed on the bus and also explains that you should maybe use the ferry toilet before getting on the bus, as you won't have a chance for another few hours. These trips are scheduled with the logic that after 3 hours, the chances are that most people will need a piss - as apposed to just one person, after one hour. 5 people all making unscheduled stops, 5 times would probably cost him an hour - and, he still has to make his scheduled stops. The only reason that this could be a problem is if you have a medical condition - and if that's the case, you should not be on a visa run with any company, full stop.

Who cares about loosing an hour you ask? Well, he does., and so do most of the people on the bus. Don't forget, Herbert is up at like 3am in order to fly around the ringroad picking everyone up before the ferry - many visa run companies ask you to make your own way to the travel agency. Then, when he gets to the hotel later that night and everyone else jumps in bed, he takes your passports, application forms, money etc and sits in his room making sure everything is organized and spot on. Then he has to pay the hotel, find out who is in which room, plus he has to eat just like everyone else! This takes a good couple of hours. Then he is up the next morning a good hour before everyone else, organsing the morning ahead. The quicker he gets to the hotel, the better. The alternative is to casually drive to the border, and let everyone organize it all themselves at the border. You can almost guarantee, it will take ten times as long this way - especially considering the idiots that get the paperwork wrong and delay everyone else.

The point is - it is not the speed at which they drive that helps you achieve a quick visa run as they all drive fast. It's the organization. He plans everything so finely that any deviation can ruin the day.

As you can probably gather from my post, I would STRONGLY recommend Herbert for a visa run and I can honestly say, hand on heart, that he is the most organized, reliable, hassle free visa runner in the entire Kingdom. And yes, feel free to make a joke of this rather bold statement but it's the truth; I have been on visa trips from Samui, Phuket, Bangkok, Kanchanaburi with several different companies and I have experienced problems with the service. Never, in all my trips with Herbert, have I ever experience problems – on the contrary, they have always been seamless, quick, efficient and you have e general sense that someone is there taking control.

Offcourse you are welcome to like his services, and guess there have to be somebody who likes it othervise he would be out of buisness. And i done it once and that might have been a extreme bad trip. I gotta correct you on a few points though. First off all on the trip i made at least, noone ever knew it was a trip like this before we starded. I didnt have a clue that it was gonna be mad-driving like this, i didnt have a clue that there is gonna be that few stops until 5 minuites before we entered the car and there was no tiletts in sight. I didnt have a clue that we were gonna hang around a mall in malaiysia for 6 hours and that we were gonna wait 6 hours in the evening in hat yai. I dont think its relaxing to sit 160 km/hour although his toyota was brand new. It is as relaxing as bullriding. If he started 2 hours earlier and slowed down the speed to 110 km it would be a much more comfortable trip. And cant see wuy it has to start with the 3 o clock ferry instead of for instans 1 o clock. Not only would it be safer and more comfortable but it would actually mean that the (illegal?) drivers could get some more sleep than what you decribes. I guess everbody by now know i certanly WONT recommend it and think its dangerous madness even if you laugh about it. And let me just say as a sidepoint that well known Steve Irwin lived all of his adult life chasing dangerous snakes and crocodiles and other animals before a sting rock finally killed him. That he done 800 visaruns and never killed anyone means nothing. Driving highspeed on this roads is dangerous and in combination with little sleep and almost no brakes it is nothing but pure madness. You can keep on liking it, but i still say sooner later something sure will happen. Herbert is well organised and nothing is wrong ith that. He knows down to detail how everything is supposed to be done and he is very good at what he do. If he just could slow down the tempo, its so easy, take a earlier boat. Whats the problem with that?? I think that a majority of even his satisfied costumers would think its a better idea to start a few hours earlier and drive a little bit slower. And im not saying he need to put in more brakes, but for crying out loud, if somebody really need to take a leak whats the problem of stoping a van on the side of the road for a minuite? Thats my oppinion anyway, you like it you go, i think its total madness.

Visa Runs with Herbert do exactly what they say on the tin' - quick, cheap, no messing about. His main selling point and reputation is that you know from start to finish, it's going to be very organized.

For example, he does make it clear on the ferry, early in the morning that there will be scheduled stops and they will not be deviated from. He explains, quite clearly, that 'that's the way it is - we don't stop for anything or anyone apart from the scheduled stops'. He explains that no booze is allowed on the bus and also explains that you should maybe use the ferry toilet before getting on the bus, as you won't have a chance for another few hours. These trips are scheduled with the logic that after 3 hours, the chances are that most people will need a piss - as apposed to just one person, after one hour. 5 people all making unscheduled stops, 5 times would probably cost him an hour - and, he still has to make his scheduled stops. The only reason that this could be a problem is if you have a medical condition - and if that's the case, you should not be on a visa run with any company, full stop.

Who cares about loosing an hour you ask? Well, he does., and so do most of the people on the bus. Don't forget, Herbert is up at like 3am in order to fly around the ringroad picking everyone up before the ferry - many visa run companies ask you to make your own way to the travel agency. Then, when he gets to the hotel later that night and everyone else jumps in bed, he takes your passports, application forms, money etc and sits in his room making sure everything is organized and spot on. Then he has to pay the hotel, find out who is in which room, plus he has to eat just like everyone else! This takes a good couple of hours. Then he is up the next morning a good hour before everyone else, organsing the morning ahead. The quicker he gets to the hotel, the better. The alternative is to casually drive to the border, and let everyone organize it all themselves at the border. You can almost guarantee, it will take ten times as long this way - especially considering the idiots that get the paperwork wrong and delay everyone else.

The point is - it is not the speed at which they drive that helps you achieve a quick visa run as they all drive fast. It's the organization. He plans everything so finely that any deviation can ruin the day.

As you can probably gather from my post, I would STRONGLY recommend Herbert for a visa run and I can honestly say, hand on heart, that he is the most organized, reliable, hassle free visa runner in the entire Kingdom. And yes, feel free to make a joke of this rather bold statement but it's the truth; I have been on visa trips from Samui, Phuket, Bangkok, Kanchanaburi with several different companies and I have experienced problems with the service. Never, in all my trips with Herbert, have I ever experience problems – on the contrary, they have always been seamless, quick, efficient and you have e general sense that someone is there taking control.

If he is drving the bus,which a FARANG IS NOT ALLOWED TO DO FOR HIRE OR REWARD, where do you stand if he has an accident.

At the end of the day no matter how good his service is or lack of, I do not know him from a bar of soap, if he is driving he is undertaking an illegal activity.Sounds harsh? Look at all the other people that were doing things in thailand they shouldn't be doing.Who pays the price at the end of the day?

Forgive me, but that may be rather on the pickey side. I mean, since when have minor illegalities prevented half of the ferang here from running a business? In any event, Herbert is not daft - im sure he has arangments in place to cover this. I know that he speaks to the southern police regularly and has an arangment with them (hence the reason why he will not let you open the curtains on the bus in the south - the police told him he couldnt.)

I cant speak for him but trust me, should he ever notice this thread and post, i am sure - 100% certain - he can explain that one. he will have that covered.

Offcourse you are welcome to like his services, and guess there have to be somebody who likes it othervise he would be out of buisness. And i done it once and that might have been a extreme bad trip. I gotta correct you on a few points though. First off all on the trip i made at least, noone ever knew it was a trip like this before we starded. I didnt have a clue that it was gonna be mad-driving like this, i didnt have a clue that there is gonna be that few stops until 5 minuites before we entered the car and there was no tiletts in sight. I didnt have a clue that we were gonna hang around a mall in malaiysia for 6 hours and that we were gonna wait 6 hours in the evening in hat yai. I dont think its relaxing to sit 160 km/hour although his toyota was brand new. It is as relaxing as bullriding. If he started 2 hours earlier and slowed down the speed to 110 km it would be a much more comfortable trip. And cant see wuy it has to start with the 3 o clock ferry instead of for instans 1 o clock. Not only would it be safer and more comfortable but it would actually mean that the (illegal?) drivers could get some more sleep than what you decribes. I guess everbody by now know i certanly WONT recommend it and think its dangerous madness even if you laugh about it. And let me just say as a sidepoint that well known Steve Irwin lived all of his adult life chasing dangerous snakes and crocodiles and other animals before a sting rock finally killed him. That he done 800 visaruns and never killed anyone means nothing. Driving highspeed on this roads is dangerous and in combination with little sleep and almost no brakes it is nothing but pure madness. You can keep on liking it, but i still say sooner later something sure will happen. Herbert is well organised and nothing is wrong ith that. He knows down to detail how everything is supposed to be done and he is very good at what he do. If he just could slow down the tempo, its so easy, take a earlier boat. Whats the problem with that?? I think that a majority of even his satisfied costumers would think its a better idea to start a few hours earlier and drive a little bit slower. And im not saying he need to put in more brakes, but for crying out loud, if somebody really need to take a leak whats the problem of stoping a van on the side of the road for a minuite? Thats my oppinion anyway, you like it you go, i think its total madness.

Well, yeh i guess thats a personal thing. In my experience, all the visa run companies drive fast. My point was, Herbert shouldnt be singled out as some crazy evil road warrior as he is not - he drives just as nippy as all the other visa runners and, i stress, half the other cars on the road are going at the same speeds.

Personaly, it has never been a worry for me.

Mattius33 - something esle of note.....

You are wrong in saying that you only find out the procedures as you are boarding the bus. Herbert always tells everyone to meet him by the small cafe in the boat, at a certain time (usualy one hour after departure). There, he gathers everyone around and explains about the scheduled stops.

You must have been having a foot massage when he explained all of this :o

Seriously - i dont live on Samui anymore and now live in Central Thailand. I also now have a non B visa. Honestly though and this is the honest truth - i used to fly down to samui previously just to hook up with Herbert for my visa runs when i had back to back tourist visa's. Admitidley, i was able to catch up with some buddies on the island so that was a good excuse to go but yes, thats how good i think his service is.... that i used to fly to Samui from Bangkok and then go on a the visa trip with Herbert, some may say is a tad messed up and ilogical.... but you know, i trust his service so i see it as a good excuse to see old pals, and feel safe in the knowledge that i would obtain my TV with no hassles.

Some folks have businesses and other commitments, that's why they do one-day visa runs.

Interresting point. One-day VISA runs? Who is doing that?? Firefly? Or do you mean border runs? In that aspect i recommend Julie. Complete diffrent from Herbet. Safe, and comfortable. No liferisking. A short stop every one and a half hoer and food and drinks included. Start with the first boat in the morning and come back 5 in the evening. And cheap. But she do only the border, no ambassy.

Mattius33 - something esle of note.....

You are wrong in saying that you only find out the procedures as you are boarding the bus. Herbert always tells everyone to meet him by the small cafe in the boat, at a certain time (usualy one hour after departure). There, he gathers everyone around and explains about the scheduled stops.

You must have been having a foot massage when he explained all of this :o

Seriously - i dont live on Samui anymore and now live in Central Thailand. I also now have a non B visa. Honestly though and this is the honest truth - i used to fly down to samui previously just to hook up with Herbert for my visa runs when i had back to back tourist visa's. Admitidley, i was able to catch up with some buddies on the island so that was a good excuse to go but yes, thats how good i think his service is.... that i used to fly to Samui from Bangkok and then go on a the visa trip with Herbert, some may say is a tad messed up and ilogical.... but you know, i trust his service so i see it as a good excuse to see old pals, and feel safe in the knowledge that i would obtain my TV with no hassles.

Yeah, i give it that. You get your visa with herbert for sure. Just that in my case i choose life over visa if it ever came down to it. But ok. You liked it i didnt.

I went to "cafe-meeting" on the boat, but it wasnt (at least on my trip) about nuts-speeding and other maniacstuff. It was only Herbert making sure we all had our papers with us. And that part is good. No comments on that.

GetBackJoJo Quoted:

Forgive me, but that may be rather on the pickey side. I mean, since when have minor illegalities prevented half of the ferang here from running a business? In any event, Herbert is not daft - im sure he has arangments in place to cover this. I know that he speaks to the southern police regularly and has an arangment with them (hence the reason why he will not let you open the curtains on the bus in the south - the police told him he couldnt.)

I cant speak for him but trust me, should he ever notice this thread and post, i am sure - 100% certain - he can explain that one. he will have that covered.

Well , you have answered my question. He is NOT legal. You are free to pick & choose what you want to do,but I value my life too much. :o

Maybe you should point out to him the dicussion taking place on this site,might wake him up a bit.But then who am I kidding.

Edited by Rooo

Hi Roo

What i mean is, if he has an arangment with the police - and i would bet my house on it - then by default, he is legal. If the police ok him driving, then he is essentialy legal.

For all we know, he may have citizenship.

For all we know, the law may have been officialy bent through various loopholes and he has legal docs to show he can drive.

Herbert is not daft - if it was illegal for him to drive, he would not. There is almost certainly a grey area to this law which he has probably not manipulated, but rather adhered to, using the proper procedures.

What i am certain of is that you and I do not know the laws, beyond the scope of your initial and rather closed statement of 'FERANG IS NOT ALLOWED TO DO FOR HIRE OR REWARD'. This alone, is not substantial - there is possibly all maner of loopholes which entitle Herbert to drive, quite legaly.

Essentialy, what you are doing is jumping on a web forum consisting of Herberts target market, advising his customers that he is running an illegal business. Thats not fair and a little spitefull, actualy, considering you have no facts.

It annoys me. The guy has completed 800 successfull trips, yet just one crash and the judge and jury of Thai Visa Samui forum is here announcing all these negative insights to his pottential customers when at the end of the day, its as simple as this; the guy had a crash, pure accident. Simple as that. No need to condem every other aspect of his service which is, may i reiterate, rather brilliant.

Value your life? Foir heavens sake Roo....!!! :o

How many people have died from Thailand visa runs, since conception decades ago? Truthfully, i dont know; but i will take a wild guess at ZERO. I fail to remember any news articles reporting death on visa runs and yet here we are, talking about the pottential threat of life on a visa run. Its never happened, so why bring it up?

There was s immilar discussion on this forum around a year ago regarding quad bikes on Samui and the total detah and destruction just around the corner. The usual doom mongers jumped on, worried out of there minds about these contraptions - how many nasty accidents have actualy transpired?

Just, you know.... take it easy, relax, recline, and stop thinking the worst. The poor bloke has a business to run - a reputable business thta has been running for years and most of the ex-pats know Herbert personaly. Its way unfair to jump on this forum and slander the guys business over a one off, out of the blue, freak accident.

Hi Roo

What i mean is, if he has an arangment with the police - and i would bet my house on it - then by default, he is legal. If the police ok him driving, then he is essentialy legal.

For all we know, the law may have been officialy bent through various loopholes and he has legal docs to show he can drive.

Herbert is not daft - if it was illegal for him to drive, he would not. There is almost certainly a grey area to this law which he has probably not manipulated, but rather adhered to, using the proper procedures.

What i am certain of is that you and I do not know the laws, beyond the scope of your initial and rather closed statement of 'FERANG IS NOT ALLOWED TO DO FOR HIRE OR REWARD'. This alone, is not substantial - there is possibly all maner of loopholes which entitle Herbert to drive, quite legaly.

Essentialy, what you are doing is jumping on a web forum consisting of Herberts target market, advising his customers that he is running an illegal business. Thats not fair and a little spitefull, actualy, considering you have no facts.

It annoys me. The guy has completed 800 successfull trips, yet just one crash and the judge and jury of Thai Visa Samui forum is here announcing all these negative insights to his pottential customers when at the end of the day, its as simple as this; the guy had a crash, pure accident. Simple as that. No need to condem every other aspect of his service which is, may i reiterate, rather brilliant.

How many people have died from Thailand visa runs, since conception decades ago? Truthfully, i dont know; but i will take a wild guess at ZERO. I fail to remember any news articles reporting death on visa runs and yet here we are, talking about the pottential threat of life on a visa run. Its never happened, so why bring it up?

There was s immilar discussion on this forum around a year ago regarding quad bikes on Samui and the total detah and destruction just around the corner. The usual doom mongers jumped on, worried out of there minds about these contraptions - how many nasty accidents have actualy transpired?

Just, you know.... take it easy, relax, recline, and stop thinking the worst. The poor bloke has a business to run - a reputable business thta has been running for years and most of the ex-pats know Herbert personaly. Its way unfair to jump on this forum and slander the guys business over a one off, out of the blue, freak accident.

Maybe its not the visa that got you to fly from Bangkok to samui to join Herberts trips. Are you sure your not secretly in love with the guy? :D By the way, flying from Bangkok to samui and join a bustrip from here and then fly back to bangkok sounds really stupid. I know you want him to look good and for some reason (commission?) you really want to promote the insane buisness he do, but lets not overdo it.

Off course there should be people that like the trip, but you are now defending stuff to a limit where at least i get a bit confused.....

Hi Roo

Not jumping on the wagon & very relaxed lol & thank you for not being abusive.But the law clearly states in businesses prohibited for foreigners to undertake is to be in charge ( driving)of a vehicle or boat for reward.As you have stated he has certain arrangements with the police. Now what does that indicate to you? Closing the curtains?I am not slandering the guy,but you know the law of averages,he might have completed 800 trips, but if you are going to fly around in a minibus at breal neck speeds well it will happen soon enough.How many accidents involving minibuses? Heaps.How many of them run a tyre rating over 120 kms ,they run light truck tyres.At these speeds of 150- 180 you might be the best driver in the world,but you can't anticipate what another idiot will do. I surely wouldn't like to be responsible for so many people's lives or put them at risk.

Customres, ex-pats have started this thread & for a good reason.Of what I have read so far , he has ample opportunties to alter his schedule & make his clients feel more at ease.

You can also be assured, that the business of visa runs & suicidal drivers have been discussed on this forum & other sections of TV on several occasions & not only his company.

At the end of the day, a customer has every right to voice their opinion,good or bad. There is no freak accidents ( stand corrected, a lightning bolt , a flash flood), a series of factors lead to accidents & believe me speeding is a very high contributing factor.

Now betting your house on it, just because he has SPECIAL arrangements, does he want to try that in court?Please do not make me laugh as to think that a court of law will recognise such an arrangement.

Quad bikes? I have seen 3 accidents,but then I'm sorry i haven't checked the hospitals.Another illegal actvity by special arrangements,no insurance of any sort & no registration.

Edited by Rooo