Thai Man, 24, Gets Death For Slaying Russian Women

george

i blame the television, all these ganster movies etc etc, i think it does effect a person if brought up watching them with an unstable mind, its becoming a trend its happeneng more and more all over the world, i personally agree with the death penalty as its the only way other potential killers will learn and fear. Jail for life just inspiers some people, sorry for the spelling;o

Why do people still blame television for the negative actions of others? That would mean that possibly mentally handicapped people, who could be considered to have an unstable mind, are a force to be dealt with someday because they happened to watch a Tony Jaa movie, or the Godfather, or Die Hard, blah, blah ,blah... People do the things they do for their own reasons, i.e. illicit drug use, too lazy to get a job and its easy money, or whatever. He thought he picked a couple of 'easy targets'. I am willing to bet though it was to support some kind of drug habit and the person can not hold a job down. Its petty theft this man did with a capital crime added to it. He may have also panicked too if the women challenged him. He had the mental capacity of getting a weapon to do the crime and I bet it wasn't his first time. It just ended tragically for the victims, their families, and his family, and for the heck of it, I'll add him too because now he is about to loose his life for what? Greed? A quick fix?

So, I strongly believe television had nothing to do with it...

wow, i was thinking the same. nicely put.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, 24, gets death for slaying Russian women

PATTAYA: -- A 24-year-old man was sentenced to death by the Pattaya Court Monday for the murder of two Russian women on Jomtien beach in February.

Anuchit Lamlert got the maximum punishment after the court decided not to cut his sentence on grounds the defendant confessed - because of the weight of evidence against him.

The court said Anuchit's lengthy criminal record showed he had sought to benefit himself through brutal and lawless acts, with no regard for social peace and the country's tourism image.

-- The Nation 2007-09-03

Amazing Thailand! Yes that is good news. So how many Thais who have murdered Tourists have actually

been caught, tried, and fried? Now why didn't he get bail when they first locked him up like the Policeman

creep that murdered in cold blood those Brits a year or so ago.

I would have been happy to pull the trigger myself on that scum bag, but only after I had run over him

with a car a few times.

I totally agree. When did we stop punishing scum and start to try rehabilitation? They don't change their ways, because they have it too easy in prison. No rent, mortgage, utility or food bills. They have more friends inside prison than outside, so why should they change?

It's time we got back to the days when the punishment fitted the crime and people knew that if they murdered, they in turn would be executed by the state.

24 or 26, isn't the issue, but the victum's families should decide the outcome of his crimes, as long as it isn't letting the guy off with a short sentence!

Yeah ... I want to cut the nuts of a guy who walked on my daisies.

It's a pity people like you have the vote (assuming you do).

If victUm's family sentences a person for their crimes they'd all be hung, drawn and quartered like the good old Christians used to do.

You say this as if it is a bad thing! Personally I have no problem with "an eye for an eye" fix to these types of problems.....it keeps the state from having to support a miscreant for the next 50 or 60 years if he's "lucky." Somehow I think its time for the reincarnation thing to do its bit.

You say this as if it is a bad thing! Personally I have no problem with "an eye for an eye" fix to these types of problems.....it keeps the state from having to support a miscreant for the next 50 or 60 years if he's "lucky." Somehow I think its time for the reincarnation thing to do its bit.

... the only problem being that the truth is often a bit more complicated. There's police under pressure to find a guilty party which leads to many innocents on death row. IMHO a system like death penalty becomes invalid as soon as one innocent is killed. Because at that point the state is the murderer, and I can't accept that. Which means for me, it's lost it's validity a long time ago.

In this case, it's hard to believe - yet, I concede, possible - that there actually wasn't any more to the story. Maybe these young ladies were just normal package tourists, and the killer a crazed murderer. In Pattaya. I can think of many other possibilities that are more likely. In this particular case, the truth is anything but clear.

PS: No, TV is not to blame. Everyone is responsible for their own actions.

I thought they shot people in the back in Thailand.

Literally.

Strapped to a seat, facing a pole, and shot in the back.

Lethal injection is just so Hi So ... i mean Hi Tech.

I'm sure they will kill him quick in case he changes his mind.

This recently changed to lethal injection. I can't remember how recently. 10 years, 5 years, 2 years? To learn more about it go to youtube and search for "Bangkok Hilton." Fascinating BBC story.

I'm willing to bet that it's converted to life in prison on appeal.
Good news

Agreed, same as when the two Thai raped and murdered Kathreen Horton a couple of years back on new years eve in Koh Samui, They where both given the death sentance, then when the hype was over that they had caught them , given them the death sentance ect ect, there sentance was reduced to Life Imprisiment! some even say they have been released as it may not of been them that the police just needed to show to the worls that they can actually do there job :o

<<This convicted murderer is only 24! Then he should be spending the rest of his natural life in prison which I feel is a far worse punishment than the death penalty! It's been proven that the death penalty is no deterrent for violent crime!>>

Of course it is a deterrent. That person will never commit a crime again, much less a violent crime.

<<There's my 2 cents!>>

Not even worth 1.

And your post is worth how much? When he says deterrent, he means a deterrent to other would be murderers, not the murderer in question. Make sense? Think about it a bit. On another note, death penalties have seen murder go down in some societies, and up in others. I've seen studies that show capital punishment works and doesn't work. It's inconclusive. A common argument is that the death penalty will deter other people from committing murder. In one sense, it all depends on how you look at the evidence.

sbaker8688, it looks like your attempt to put down another poster and look smarter than him has failed. :o He had a valid point.

So much for all of you who yelled "Prostitutes" and "Russian Mafia" when the story came up first.

Not sure why you say this if you have been following much of the reporting since day 1 as there seems to be serious questions and inconsistencies about the "robbery" motive.

There seems to me two different aspects (at least) to this

1) have they got and sentenced the right man. Hopefully and quite probably YES, by what the evidence seems to have suggested.

2) Was the murderers motive as he says "Robbery", or was there another motive or others behind the killings. Once again, with all the inconsistencies that have been reported the one thing that looks very suspicious is Robbery being the motive. The gunman supposedly said on one occasion he shot them because they resisted being robbed. The picture I first saw of the girls in their deck chairs looked anything but resisting being robbed. In fact, I personally thought they looked like they were probably sleeping or sunbathing with their eyes closed and relaxed at the time of their sad deaths. But maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me.

I also note the Police themselves have been mostly very sceptical about the Robbery motive throughout, but maybe they have not found anything to make it possible for them to support their suspicions.

ONE POSSIBILITY: Of course IF this WAS a hit and the man knows he has justly been found guilty of the murders I cannot imagine the power(s) behind the hit not suggesting to him that reprisals would quickly occur if implicated.

If you were caught and going to die or have a life sentence anyway, would you risk the safety of your family/friends or loved ones for nothing (apart from others going down with you). VERY FEW WOULD, I am sure. NO!, most would stick to the robbery or "acting alone" version of events (which of course may be the truth at the end of the day - but for me personally, I am sceptical about the robbery motive).

Regretfully the motive does not change the fact that two girls have been wickedly murdered and their poor families' pain and sorrow must be immense.

Regards, Dave

i blame the television, all these ganster movies etc etc, i think it does effect a person if brought up watching them with an unstable mind, its becoming a trend its happeneng more and more all over the world, i personally agree with the death penalty as its the only way other potential killers will learn and fear. Jail for life just inspiers some people, sorry for the spelling;o

Why do people still blame television for the negative actions of others? That would mean that possibly mentally handicapped people, who could be considered to have an unstable mind, are a force to be dealt with someday because they happened to watch a Tony Jaa movie, or the Godfather, or Die Hard, blah, blah ,blah... People do the things they do for their own reasons, i.e. illicit drug use, too lazy to get a job and its easy money, or whatever. He thought he picked a couple of 'easy targets'. I am willing to bet though it was to support some kind of drug habit and the person can not hold a job down. Its petty theft this man did with a capital crime added to it. He may have also panicked too if the women challenged him. He had the mental capacity of getting a weapon to do the crime and I bet it wasn't his first time. It just ended tragically for the victims, their families, and his family, and for the heck of it, I'll add him too because now he is about to loose his life for what? Greed? A quick fix?

So, I strongly believe television had nothing to do with it...

wow, i was thinking the same. nicely put.

Ditto,

Why do people who commit crimes against others making them unfortunate victims, then try to say they are victims also. When people try to excuse the actions of a self centered, selfish, uncaring individual saying they have rights are part of the problem because they completely ignore the rights of the victims, hurt caused to their families.

This convicted murderer is only 24! Then he should be spending the rest of his natural life in prison which I feel is a far worse punishment than the death penalty! It's been proven that the death penalty is no deterrent for violent crime!

There's my 2 cents!

Retirednavyman- I couldn't agree more!.....Life in prison with no possibility of parole in a Thai prison would be far worse than death. Most murders are "crimes of passion" with no thought of consequences.....those in favor of death penalty argue that the cost is excessive for life imprisonment but it has been shown that with the appeals and long drawn out court cases the cost of killing someone(an eye for an eye) is even more costly,(at least in the US)...Someday capital punishment will be outlawed, especially as we kill more and more innocent people.......

This convicted murderer is only 24! Then he should be spending the rest of his natural life in prison which I feel is a far worse punishment than the death penalty! It's been proven that the death penalty is no deterrent for violent crime!

There's my 2 cents!

*Life imprisonment is a pointless sentence. The person never recovers and it costs society money to keep the prisoner with the possibility of escape. You can be sure a lifer will do anything not to be caught including killing again...after all nothing to lose.

More lifers can teach short timers 'old tricks' hardly good for society. While I don't believe in death sentence worse is life imprisonment. (dont believe in death sentence only because so many innocents convicted)

Note that the Bangkok Post also included an apology @to the city of Pattaya" for his actions from the perp "which tarnished the reputation of the resort of the resort town". He's a bit late - tarnish has been there - like forever!!

There's my 2 cents!

I agree ... and he needs to hear the names of those girls ... and see their pictures daily ... so that he never, never forgets.

Singapor has a hanging every friday, seems to keep the crime rate down their. personaly i'm pro castration as well :o

As an American, I also do not support the death penalty. It is not our right to take another life except in extreme cases, such as perhaps heinous war crimes, etc. As a practical matter, it is often times less costly to society to imprison murderers for life than putting them to death; i.e. the huge cost of on-going appeals that drag on for years, like they do in the US. It can take more than 20 years for a death sentence to be carried out in the US. This is probably not the case in Thailand and Singapore. However, despite all the "safeguards" in the US legal system to prevent the innocent from being executed, it is has still happened. Lock these guys up for life with no parole. That being said, when foreigners get caught smuggling drugs in places like Singapore, only to face the gallows in a form of very swift justice, their home countries scream for leniency and mercy. Places like Singapore make it very clear before your plane hits the ground at Changi that if you deal in drugs, etc., they're gonna fry you. If you don't like it, don't go there.

There's my 2 cents!

Retirednavyman- I couldn't agree more!.....Life in prison with no possibility of parole in a Thai prison would be far worse than death. Most murders are "crimes of passion" with no thought of consequences.....those in favor of death penalty argue that the cost is excessive for life imprisonment but it has been shown that with the appeals and long drawn out court cases the cost of killing someone(an eye for an eye) is even more costly,(at least in the US)...Someday capital punishment will be outlawed, especially as we kill more and more innocent people.......

I've generally got to agree with these statements. If I were convicted of a serious crime that I knew I was guilty of (in other words, no chance of the verdict being overturned) and I had my choice of the death penalty or the prospect of facing life in jail WITHOUT PAROLE (any jail, not just a Thai jail) I would opt for the death penalty.

I'm willing to bet that it's converted to life in prison on appeal.
Good news

Agreed, same as when the two Thai raped and murdered Kathreen Horton a couple of years back on new years eve in Koh Samui, They where both given the death sentance, then when the hype was over that they had caught them , given them the death sentance ect ect, there sentance was reduced to Life Imprisiment! some even say they have been released as it may not of been them that the police just needed to show to the worls that they can actually do there job :o

This is the real worry and possibility! The amount of people who have gotten away with murder in Thailand because of money or connections is astronomical! (I personally know 3 cases!) Mostly the wealthy but also the mafia connections (or police connections)!

I Have never really been a supporter of the death penalty but in Thailand it seems the only way to be assured he won't be a danger to others (both in and out of prison).

life in prison for a convicted murder in a robbery attempt sorry I do not agree with that

the only way to handle this is exactly the way the Thai gov. is handling it excute him

you can come up with all the anology you want about excution

but the simple facts are when there is no doubt that the way to go.

Charles Manson was sentence to death in California and then they change the law he got

his hiny saved from the gallows of death now he is over 70 yrs old and all he does is sleep in his cell

while Sharon Tate sleeps in her grave sorry the sob & all like him should get what they deserve

if the death penalty is awarded then they must die but I do want to interject all avenues must be used before the excution takes place like DNA testing to be sure and no Mike Nifong DA with holding evidence from the Def. attorneys like one poster said once he is dead he can not commit any crimes no more

It is a deterrent. Most criminals who get sentenced life in prison almost always never actually spend their entire life in prison. Because of over crowding and cost most all will get out before they die. Also over 80% on convicted fellons will return to a life of crime. So chances are very high that a person who gets life in prison will get out and very likely to commit another serious crime. I've had 7 years in the criminal justice system, Im no expert but am experienced in it more than most. And to those who cry about the innocent who get convicted. Yes it happens but it is rare. Far too many innocent people suffered from guilty criminals that got let go based on a tiny bit of doubt. The need of the many must out weigh the need of the few.

post-6192-1188872210_thumb.jpg post-6192-1188872226_thumb.jpg post-6192-1188872239_thumb.jpg

A mannequin, displayed by Thailand's Department of Corrections, shows how a condemned person is tied to a wooden cross, to be shot in the back by an executioner who stands off to the left of the photo, aiming at a heart-high target placed on a cotton panel.

BANGKOK, Thailand -- He shot 55 men and women in the back, killing them with a burst of bullets aimed at the heart, while each person was tied to a wooden cross.

"I think the system of execution has become more humane, compared with when they hammered nails under people's fingernails, and did other torture, or whiplashed them before they cut their heads off," Chavoret Jaruboon said in an interview.

"Those things are in the past."

Mr. Chavoret, 58, is a Buddhist who describes himself as Thailand's "last executioner."

"Every Buddhist monk would say that killing someone is a sin. But the question is whether you take pleasure in killing that person," Mr. Chavoret said.

"What I have seen is that these prisoners have done bad to others, and they are incarcerated because of their own karma."

Source