Torrent Speed Test - Let's Compare

kikker

ok - for all those interested to get some reliable comparison on real life speeds vs subscription plans and useability of internet packages to help you choose which ISP has the best speeds, let's do a little test comparison.

to make sure this is a solid comparison and everyone runs it under the same conditions - here's how to set up for the test:

- utorrent v1.6.1 (best version currently for downloading torrents IMO) - http://download.utorrent.com/1.6.1/utorrent.exe

- run the test only with winxp firewall (PLS DISABLE OTHER FIREWALLS FOR THE TEST)

- make sure your port is forwarded ok (the little icon at the bottom should be green) - if you don't know: "options --> speedguide --> test if port forwarded propefly" if not follow the link and the guide to get things going.

- go to btjunkie.org or any other torrent seach engine/ tracker and load up a few (5 or so) torrents with high number of seeders (1000+), so we can be sure the torrents should come in at high speed.

- run the test with the following utorrent settings:

options --> preferences --> connection

- port # - whatever you opened; make sure the icon at the bottom is green so you're connectable.

- randomize port each time utorrent starts - unchecked

- enable upnp port mapping - unchecked

- add utorrent to windows firewall exceptions - checked

- bandwith limiting - 0/unchecked/0 (unlimited speeds)

options --> preferences --> bittorrent

- global maximum number of connections: 600

- maximum number of connected peers per torrent: 600

- number of upload slots per torrent: 20

- use additional slots... --> checked

-enable DHT network --> checked

- enable DHT for new torrents --> checked

- ask tracker for scrape information --> checked

- enable peer exchange --> checked

- protocol encryption: enabled (!)

- allow incoming legacy connections --> checked

options --> preferences --> advanced

net.max_halfopen --> set value to 50.

please post:

1. your maximum download speed and upload speed in kB/s (as shown in utorrent bar)

2. your location

3. your ISP and package

(please note kB/s is different than Kbps - see: http://www.testmy.net/tools/convert.php)

please post your results similar to below - please don't post suggestions to do this differently - gotta compare apples to apples somehow, might as well do it this way..

results for me

1. 250kB/S down - 55kB/s up

2. bangkok CBD - rajdamri road

3. ISP = True, package is 3072Kbps (d) / 512Kbps (u) @ 1,150 / month (incl unlimited free wifi hotspot usage)

my tt&t maxnet was getting me 100k downloads most of the time after a free upgrade from 512 256 to 1024 512 but the last few days my maxnet speed has been showing 1536 512 and gets me 150k download, i don't know why maxnet increased my connection to this odd speed but i isn't complaining, i use utorrent

1. 310kB/s down - 60kB/s up

2. Ekkamai, Bangkok

3. True 3072/512 - 1150baht

i'm happy. i also regularly hit 375kB/s downloading from newsgroups.

I'm moving to BKK in 2 weeks and that is the exact service i'm signing up for. If only i could get speeds like that i would be so happy.