Car Registration

morphy

looking for advice on where to go to register car ownership. also can i register it in my name on a non immigrant visa or under my Thai wife's name.

any advice would be appreciated.

This can be done at the department of land transport on Hang Dong Road (about a mile past the Tesco Lotus heading out of CM), and can be done in your name if on a non-immgrant visa, but you'll need to visit CM Immigration first and get yourself a letter of residence first.

If you're buying through a dealer, they can handle everything except for the letter of residence.

This can be done at the department of land transport on Hang Dong Road (about a mile past the Tesco Lotus heading out of CM), and can be done in your name if on a non-immgrant visa, but you'll need to visit CM Immigration first and get yourself a letter of residence first.

This used to be the case, but unfortunately they will not issue them any more on a non immigrant visa. You will have to pop along to your country's consulate, and pay through the nose for a consular letter. :o

This used to be the case, but unfortunately they will not issue them any more on a non immigrant visa. You will have to pop along to your country's consulate, and pay through the nose for a consular letter. :o

Hrmm, I'm sure I saw the sign on the counter when I last did my 90-day report, but that was almost 3 months ago now - are you sure of this? Last I knew they'd limited it to those on the 1-year extension scheme and PR's, not a blanket on all Non-O's.. It'll certainly make life difficult for those who don't have consulates locally.

Hrmm, I'm sure I saw the sign on the counter when I last did my 90-day report, but that was almost 3 months ago now - are you sure of this? Last I knew they'd limited it to those on the 1-year extension scheme and PR's, not a blanket on all Non-O's.. It'll certainly make life difficult for those who don't have consulates locally.

There was a thread on this a while ago, with people getting refused a letter of confirmation of residence even on a one year retirement visa. I think it was regarding driving licences, but same difference.

Would that be the Consulate here in CM...or do we have to trek down to BK? :D

Just got a new one myself , but because I brought it Friday and came back today I knew that it would take the Embassy in BK 2 days to process it and I needed to come back today...foolishly I thought I could get what I need at immigration here in CM on an "O" Visa

Oh <deleted> :D

looks like the Missus could be getting a new car !!!!

Edited by ThaiPauly

Would that be the Consulate here in CM...or do we have to trek down to BK? :D

Your consul here in Chiangmai will issue one. The last one I had cost 1850 baht and that was a few years ago :o

Will the consulate in CM issue one for an address is Chiang Rai? What will they want to see - a rental agreement?

Will the consulate in CM issue one for an address is Chiang Rai? What will they want to see - a rental agreement?

No matter whether you are a US national living in Mukdahan, or a British national living in Chiangrai, and supply the correct supporting documents (lease etc.) I see no reason why a Chiangmai consulate would not issue you one. They do it in Bangkok for expatriates residing all over the kingdom.

looking for advice on where to go to register car ownership. also can i register it in my name on a non immigrant visa or under my Thai wife's name.

any advice would be appreciated.

i had no proplem with mine i bought new honda and agent did it all just picked up blue reg book from office only o visa thai g/f did most of the donkey work ringing office ect car in my name