Six Nabbed For Animal Cruelty

Rooo

Surat Thani _ Police yesterday arrested six men on Koh Samui on charges of illegally possessing protected species of wildlife and cruelty to animals. The six, suspected to be members of a wildlife smuggling gang, were nabbed in front of the Green Mango pub on the resort island's Chaweng beach.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/10Sep2007_news09.php

Jeez, Rooo, don't you ever sleep? :D

Awful story, too bad some of them got away with a couple of animals tho. :o

I wonder, what happens to the animals in these situations? Is there a rehab facility to get them healthy enough to be returned to the wild?

Surat Thani _ Police yesterday arrested six men on Koh Samui on charges of illegally possessing protected species of wildlife and cruelty to animals. The six, suspected to be members of a wildlife smuggling gang, were nabbed in front of the Green Mango pub on the resort island's Chaweng beach.

"During the raid, some of the gang members managed to escape with an eagle and a crocodile, police said." :o

LaoPo

Jeez, Rooo, don't you ever sleep? :D

Awful story, too bad some of them got away with a couple of animals tho. :o

I wonder, what happens to the animals in these situations? Is there a rehab facility to get them healthy enough to be returned to the wild?

I do sleep on occasions :D . I suppose they will be sent to a zoo somewhere. The one that worries me is the crocodile.

It said in the article the animals will be put under the care of the foundation that reported the incident.

On a related note does anyone know the contact details of the mentioned foundation or a similar one to make reports. On my last visit to Chatuchak market I saw a rather large and gangly (but still a baby) eagle. Difficult to tell at that age what it was exactly but it would definitely be huge when fully grown. It definitely shouldn't have been there, and was not displayed but was brought out from behind in a cardboard box for someones inspection. I just happened to pass at that time. There was soon a huge group of people having a look; it seemed most of the Thais had never seen one of these birds either.

and tonight there will be six more to drive you mad .......... :o

did the police arrest the people or the animals or both :o . Apperently the eagle made a get away. The crocodile was fined 500 baht for assault and dope charges. dunno about the gang.

please don't ban me for this post justy having a giggle

I'll eat my hat the day I see anybody around here except farangs giving a real hoot about animal cruelty. I mean, you must be joking, seriously, no?

Come on, these guys just annoyed some other Thai dude, so he made the call and the heat came down on them.

Would not surprise me at all to see these animals at the Had Yai market for sale in short time.

Animal cruelty is not a concept that is embraced by the local culture at all.

I saw several pigs die of heat exhaustion in a noisy and painful manner in the back of a pickup near Lamai. The poor bloody things were screaming as they died. The owner/driver was too busy having a cold beer with his mates just a few meters from the truck. When I mentioned something he first lauged at me then acted a tad threatening so I dropped it. (I should have bolody dropped him)

The day somebody around here shows me any sensitivity to animals I will, as I said, eat my hat.

I pity the poor innocent animials, at least we in the west kill them with some degree of mercy and make some small attempt in at least appearing to give a <deleted> about the poor bugger's wellfare. Here, they just don't give a <deleted>.

I think we have hit a nerve here with southbot. I sympathise, but fear we will simply see a different set of animals outside the Green Mango next week. Probably the only thing which will make a difference is to try and educate the idiot farangs not to have their photos taken with an obviously doped-up wild animal

did the police arrest the people or the animals or both :D . Apperently the eagle made a get away. The crocodile was fined 500 baht for assault and dope charges. dunno about the gang.

please don't ban me for this post justy having a giggle

When the crocadile was interveiwed by the police he was asked why did you have this sick bird with you, to which he replied "why ,is it ill eagle " :o

For those of you interested in Wildlife Friends of Thailand the web address is http://www.wfft.org/

To answer SBK question, the Gibbons will not be able to be taken back to the wild as they more then likely were babies when they were stolen from their mothers and are heavily imprinted. The adults are shot from trees to get the babies.

What will happen over the course of their stay with WFT is they will be put into quarentine and treated for any alments and brought back to health.

Most of the animals you see are not only mistreated, but the food given to them is not nuturitional enough to make them healthy.

They will then be placed near one another and if all goes well start being put into groups in large enclosures. If this is successful the group will then be moved to a Gibbon island at the center. The Gibbon islands are small islands that the center made in the lake located on the grounds of the center. Gibbons can't swim, so they are free, but cannot get off the islands.

They are monitored and given food twice a day, but for the most part are left to do what gibbons would do in the wild. They do forage and feed themselves. They are even breeding.

I volunteered there a number of years ago and it was one of the most rewarding experiences I've had in Thailand.

And for you guys who think this is a funny story and want to try out your comedy routines, would you kindly start a new thread or PM each other.

So what happened to the crocodile?

Precisely.......... I have know people in Australia, that thought it was cool to have a baby crock ( need their heads read ),then released them in the most inappropriate areas.

I think we have hit a nerve here with southbot. I sympathise, but fear we will simply see a different set of animals outside the Green Mango next week. Probably the only thing which will make a difference is to try and educate the idiot farangs not to have their photos taken with an obviously doped-up wild animal

I totally agree.

Sometimes if I'm drunk and I pass some idiot taking photos, I tell them what I think. :o

It used to be (i hope) a daily sight all over the tourist strip down Chaweng Beach Rd.!

I always wondered how they did get away with it?

On the other hand, discussing "Animal cruelty", anyone ever visited the "Samui Aquarium"?

There needs much to be done...

Edited by Samuian

I totally agree.

Sometimes if I'm drunk and I pass some idiot taking photos, I tell them what I think. :o

Why do you have to be drunk? Does being inebriated make you feel "greener"? Or does it give you that false sense of superiority?

I see no problem with people owning pets. They look healthy to me and well looked-after. I can't have a parrot? Do I have to give up my canine? Do I have to return my snake to the wild?

A protected crocodile? Better not tell the authorities about the crocodile farm here....

It used to be (i hope) a daily sight all over the tourist strip down Chaweng Beach Rd.!

I always wondered how they did get away with it?

On the other hand, discussing "Animal cruelty", anyone ever visited the "Samui Aquarium"?

There needs much to be done...

Yeah, thats a good thing to bring up. Big fishies in aqauriums that are in some cases only 100 cm longer than the fish. Realy cruel. Is that realy legal? I know we are in Thailand but even here must be somekind of laws?? Thing that chock me the most is that the workers in that place seem to be realy good with animals and know what they are doing. Cant understand that they dont raise their voices. Terrible.

I totally agree.

Why do you have to be drunk? Does being inebriated make you feel "greener"? Or does it give you that false sense of superiority?

I see no problem with people owning pets. They look healthy to me and well looked-after. I can't have a parrot? Do I have to give up my canine? Do I have to return my snake to the wild?

A protected crocodile? Better not tell the authorities about the crocodile farm here....

So keeping the exact op topic is not something we have to do in every thread?? :D

I totally agree.

"During the raid, some of the gang members managed to escape with an eagle and a crocodile, police said." :D

LaoPo

I totally agree.

Please re-read the OP, these are not pets. Eagles are not pets. These are protected wildlife species.

.....Please re-read the OP, these are not pets. Eagles are not pets. These are protected wildlife species.

@sbk: Thanks & standing ovations for setting the record straight once and again!

Concerning "Pets": There are Specific Farm, specialized in breeding rare Species for Pets. By Chance a good friend of mine is breeding parrots and other species @ Samut Sakhon... Waht I don't understand is: "What kind of "thrill" does a croc, a giant lizard, a Tiger, an Ozelot or an eagle give to it's owner, to possess some thing rare and exotic, something others can't afford?"

Ever watched an Eagle fly, a Tiger roam, a Monitor Lizard in the wild, Lemures swirling through the Canopy, a Croc in it's NATURAL habitat?

Been in many National Parks, Reserves and Wildlife Sanctuaries in SEA and else, that we have to go to places where the animals are (more or less) kept in a secure sanctuary is imho already quite sad....

Why the heck "own" one? Can anyone imagine to be kept on a leash, in a Cage, in Captivity?

Why, if so, aren't the for millenia domesticated animals like Goldfish, Kois, Cats, Dogs, Budgies etc. enough?

Is it really such a thrill?

THINK (if it would be you)!

So what happened to the crocodile?

Precisely.......... I have know people in Australia, that thought it was cool to have a baby crock ( need their heads read ),then released them in the most inappropriate areas.

I remember a few years back walking from The Spa near Lamai towards the village when a lady let her dog off the lead to cross towards the beach; she did not see the lorry driving too fast coming down the road centre. The dog was dawdling .

The lorry neither slowed nor swerved but just ran the poor animal down, and drove on without stopping . It almost seemed deliberate. We helped to move the dog,who had appalling injuries, off the road where 5 minutes later he died.

That was murder.

I remember a few years back walking from The Spa near Lamai towards the village when a lady let her dog off the lead to cross towards the beach; she did not see the lorry driving too fast coming down the road centre. The dog was dawdling .

The lorry neither slowed nor swerved but just ran the poor animal down, and drove on without stopping . It almost seemed deliberate. We helped to move the dog,who had appalling injuries, off the road where 5 minutes later he died.

That was murder.

i have seen this happen a couple of times here too. some stupid kids on a motorbike who ran over my puppy and just kept going. a taxi driver actually stepping on the gas to run over a dog on the road. it's disgusting.