Cute And Unusual Gift

sleepyjohn

I solved my eternal festive season 'what shall I send to Auntie Flo' problems early this year by walking into Rim Ping supermarket over the weekend and discovering a cute 2008 Chiang Mai charity calendar for a hundred baht, which has some really charming schoolchildren's paintings, plus the kind of descriptive text about Lanna which you might want to write yourself to get friends to come over and spend a week's holiday here.

As the proceeds are being given to kid's charities I decided to plug it. It's a sweet and easy gift for chums, mums, and grannies and will likely stay on the mantelpiece for a whole year instead of ending up in the bin on the Twelfth Night, so every time they look at it they'll remember you. That might get you into a will you were formally out of! Now that's value!

There is a simple web site at http:// chiangmaicalendar.googlepages.com

Edited by sbk
URL removed

I solved my eternal festive season 'what shall I send to Auntie Flo' problems early this year by walking into Rim Ping supermarket over the weekend and discovering a cute 2008 Chiang Mai charity calendar for a hundred baht, which has some really charming schoolchildren's paintings, plus the kind of descriptive text about Lanna which you might want to write yourself to get friends to come over and spend a week's holiday here.

As the proceeds are being given to kid's charities I decided to plug it. It's a sweet and easy gift for chums, mums, and grannies and will likely stay on the mantelpiece for a whole year instead of ending up in the bin on the Twelfth Night, so every time they look at it they'll remember you. That might get you into a will you were formally out of! Now that's value!

I bought twelve, but it didn't help my late night spelling

Edited by sleepyjohn

Guys, this is a really good and important project which I think that you should all support. This is not some soliciting thing, I was involved in its production and we are really hoping that this CHARITY calendar helps promote Chiang Mai and its tourism. So any kind of support would be really good as its all for a great cause. Where is the link by the way?

You have a flair for marketing sleepyjohn :o . I've many guests arriving from abroad in the course of the next few months. I'll send each home with a calendar, to serve as a reminiscence of their trip here .

Call me old fashion but I smell a rat what kids charities? how much of proceeds is going to said charities. I've looked at web site ambiguous to say the least, I may be wrong but will give my donations direct as usual

Call me old fashion but I smell a rat what kids charities? how much of proceeds is going to said charities. I've looked at web site ambiguous to say the least, I may be wrong but will give my donations direct as usual

There's a whole shipload of rats around here - so I don't blame you for being wary.

I purchased mine through the Expats. Club - but I think you'll find these calendars available in many bookshops around town . They're quite delightful, informative and interesting. They're robustly made

and would stand proudly on any desk and would make an excellent gift. IMO, very well worth the 100 baht - even if not a penny reached the charity ! I'm sure though, that the organisers are reputable.

Edited by tokolosh

It is indeed a legitimate project for a worthy cause.

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=1896

TTG Asia Magazine the largest circulation travel trade publication in South East Asia, with a print edition distributed to over 14,000 travel professionals and media, has just run an illustrated feature about the Chiang Mai Charity Calendar entitled "Chiang Mai Keepsake" It was also featured in the Chiang Mai Mail on Tuesday, 4th September.

The respective web links are:

http://www.ttgasia.com/index.php?option=co...7&Itemid=28

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/237/community.shtml

Edited by kindredspirits

TTG Asia Magazine the largest circulation travel trade publication in South East Asia, with a print edition distributed to over 14,000 travel professionals and media, has just run an illustrated feature about the Chiang Mai Charity Calendar entitled "Chiang Mai Keepsake" It was also featured in the Chiang Mai Mail on Tuesday, 4th September.

That might be all well and good, but why were your initial posts at touting this item on Thai Visa removed?

There's a whole shipload of rats around here - so I don't blame you for being wary.

I purchased mine through the Expats. Club - but I think you'll find these calendars available in many bookshops around town . They're quite delightful, informative and interesting. They're robustly made

and would stand proudly on any desk and would make an excellent gift . IMO, very well worth the 100 baht - even if not a penny reached the charity ! I'm sure though, that the organisers are reputable.

"which might make you millions" ? Yes it will no doubt make somebody millions. :o

As the calendar is not being produced by a charity itself, it might be an idea to specify where the proceeds will be going exactly .

I think you will find this is general practice in most countries - people are raising money for a specific cause through a charity or just for a specific charity in general. They would need to be recognised and registered by that charity.

If you are going down the road of raising money with no fixed donation plan or track history or organisation the whole agenda looks a bit awry.

Even big charity agendas can be rather odd at the best of times, so for me personally I would rest on the cynics side. Having said that I have no qualms about buying a calendar for only 100Bt. But it would be competing in mind with all the other sale for profit calendars; I would be buying the one I liked best.

From the wording used, the original post was misinterpreted as being a 'solicitation' therefore it was subject to the understandably strict and commendable Forum rules.

It is not however in any way a 'solicitation' (see 'Sao Jiang Mai' above) and is:

A) A much-needed means of promoting Chiang Mai.

B) A commendable non-profit volunteer effort, initiated by schoolchildren.

As such, I hope it continues to receive the support it deserves.

Edited by kindredspirits

I guess I can understand a person choosing to be uncharitable themselves. Perhaps their finances don't allow for any disposable income to help others. What I don't understand, is why they would denigrate the charity, or question the motives of persons promoting the chrity. It's particularly hard to understand in this case, where you get something of tangible value for your small donation, in addition to goodwill and karma.

I guess I can understand a person choosing to be uncharitable themselves. Perhaps their finances don't allow for any disposable income to help others. What I don't understand, is why they would denigrate the charity, or question the motives of persons promoting the chrity. It's particularly hard to understand in this case, where you get something of tangible value for your small donation, in addition to goodwill and karma.

I don't think anybody is guilty of being uncharitable Lannarebirth, and I'm certainly the first one to donate to a worthy cause, BUT how can we "denigrate the charity" to use your words, when we don't even know the name of the charity!!!!!

Their website states that "they" had secured a bank loan to pay for the publishing costs, and that a charity will be decided when sales are complete.

Isn't it normal to announce the charity that they are raising funds for at the time if the charity drive?

Guys, this is a really good and important project which I think that you should all support. This is not some soliciting thing, I was involved in its production and we are really hoping that this CHARITY calendar helps promote Chiang Mai and its tourism. So any kind of support would be really good as its all for a great cause. Where is the link by the way?

Since 'Sao Jiang Mai' is involved, I don't think that we have to wonder about the charities' legitimacy. :o

I don't think anybody is guilty of being uncharitable Lannarebirth, and I'm certainly the first one to donate to a worthy cause, BUT how can we "denigrate the charity" to use your words, when we don't even know the name of the charity!!!!!

Their website states that "they" had secured a bank loan to pay for the publishing costs, and that a charity will be decided when sales are complete.

Isn't it normal to announce the charity that they are raising funds for at the time if the charity drive?

Well, they did announce their intentions. They were going to pool the money and distribute it to various childrens charities. No, they didn't mention them by name, so I see your point there. For 100 baht that's specific enough for me. If I were the chief benefactor, I'd probably want more details. Also, I know the OP, and knew he would not post anything that wasn't strictly on the up and up.

I am totally in agreement with Maejo Man on this one.

Nobody and certainly not me is going to be against spending 100BT.

I do find it interesting though how the use of labels and promotions can influence our thinking.

Securing a loan to start off a project sounds a bit strange. If you came up with a concrete plan with a clear set of goals you could probably easily secure the funds to carry it out without the need for a loan. If you were judicial in your spending you might have money left over from your first projects which would cover the investments for calendars , cards etc. The profit would then carry over to future projects etc.

I am not talking about this charity as such (which isn't any actual charity); but we should absolutely question these actual charitable organisations as they are only as efficient and cost effective as the people running them. My father helped in running one UK charity when he retired and 2 things used to drive him crazy - one was the money some people wanted to waste and the other was most people would do anything just to get their faces on the TV or in the papers, but when the hard work was involved they disappeared into thin air.

So you have a multitude of factors coming in between the benefactors and the beneficiaries. It is all food for thought as you press the donation button or put your coin through the slot. In choosing where to donate our money we should be no less discerning than we would be in investing it. The goal is for as much of it as possible to get to those who will benefit.

I just find it frightening that people are not interested where their money goes and what it is used for.

Just to be clear here, I am not involved financially at all in this. I donated my company's expertise and did the design of the charity calendar for free. The group itself is, to my satisfaction, above board. There will be a large launch next month and the Minister of Tourism and Sports is coming to sanction it. So, it sounds pretty good.

I know what you mean about rats though, and I personally would never put my, or my company's name, in jeopardy to con some people out of a few hundred baht for a calendar. I will do a follow up in Citylife next month maybe and give some info as to where the dosh is going...though my guess is that it is still paying off the hefty printing bill! That is the only expense which will have to be covered, the rest was all donated time. For instance I have asked my printer to help donate some printing materials for promotional purposes, The Chedi is donating the venue and more towards the launch, etc. To keep a souvenir of our work, we had to pay the 100 baht in full when we got our calendar too. So it seems very above board.