Briton Arrested For Pirate Goods Ecommerce

george

Briton arrested for pirate goods ecommerce

Chonburi police arrest British national in connection with pirated goods distribution

PATTAYA: -- The central government’s crackdown on pirated goods continues with the latest arrest including a foreigner accused of producing and selling falsely branded products over the Internet.

Following an extensive investigation Pol. Lt. Gen. Jongrak Jutanont, Region 2 police commissioner led the raid on the Chonburi residence of Roy Brown, 53, last Friday afternoon.

It sounded like a good idea at the time, but Roy Brown found out the hard way that selling pirated goods over the Internet can land you in jail.

Brown was accused of producing clothing and accessories with brand name logos such as a Nike, Adidas and Reebok. Police confiscated almost 500 shirts and rolls of logos in the raid.

Evidence in the case was also discovered on a computer used for record keeping and e-commerce, as well as receipts and documentation of Brown’s activities.

Police charged Roy Brown with breaching copyright laws and selling pirated products.

-- Pattaya Mail 2004-07-30

didnt pay the right people  OBVIOUSLY  :D

BS. I don't care who you pay, I can still bust you.

lol.. There was another guy that had the same sort of attitude wether he admited it on this forum or not.. From what I can remember he ended up gettin a bit to big for his boots and having a rather nasty accident :o

Not a boast, a simple statement of fact.

To be totally safe from being busted, you'd have to have all of the following on the payroll:

The local cops

The provincial cops

The Crime Suppression Division

The Economic Crime Investigation Division

The Central Investigation Bureau

The Provincial Court

The Central Intellectual Trade and Intellectual Property Court

The Pattaya Criminal Court

Even if you managed to bribe every single officer at the above institutions, I could still get at you through any number of other criminal or civil means. If all else failed, I could go direct to the Prime Minister's office.

In other words, it's just about impossible to pay your way out of being busted for an intellectual property crime if the brand owner knows who and where you are.

Not a boast, a simple statement of fact.

To be totally safe from being busted, you'd have to have all of the following on the payroll:

The local cops

The provincial cops

The Crime Suppression Division

The Economic Crime Investigation Division

The Central Investigation Bureau

The Provincial Court

The Central Intellectual Trade and Intellectual Property Court

The Pattaya Criminal Court

Even if you managed to bribe every single officer at the above institutions, I could still get at you through any number of other criminal or civil means. If all else failed, I could go direct to the Prime Minister's office.

In other words, it's just about impossible to pay your way out of being busted for an intellectual property crime if the brand owner knows who and where you are.

ok.. forget about it... :o

Briton arrested for pirate goods ecommerce

Chonburi police arrest British national in connection with pirated goods distribution

PATTAYA: -- The central government’s crackdown on pirated goods continues with the latest arrest including a foreigner accused of producing and selling falsely branded products over the Internet.

Following an extensive investigation Pol. Lt. Gen. Jongrak Jutanont, Region 2 police commissioner led the raid on the Chonburi residence of Roy Brown, 53, last Friday afternoon.

It sounded like a good idea at the time, but Roy Brown found out the hard way that selling pirated goods over the Internet can land you in jail.

Brown was accused of producing clothing and accessories with brand name logos such as a Nike, Adidas and Reebok. Police confiscated almost 500 shirts and rolls of logos in the raid.

Evidence in the case was also discovered on a computer used for record keeping and e-commerce, as well as receipts and documentation of Brown’s activities.

Police charged Roy Brown with breaching copyright laws and selling pirated products.

-- Pattaya Mail 2004-07-30

:o:D:D:D:D:wub:-_-

Greedy, money-hungry stroker!, now having his anus prodded!

Give me a break if the manufactures (sp?) made they clothes a bit more reasonably priced there would be non need for "knock offs"......example is the Newcastle United football chairman who was caught saying how they ripped the fans off by charging 40 pound for a football top when they were made in the Far East at 5 pound each...... Who are the real villians? :o

Big time clothing/footwear/perfume/watch/jewellery/etc counterfeiting is a huge money-spinner, controlled worldwide by organized crime syndicates.

The Versace jeans you bought in Pratunam were made in a triad-owned sweatshop in Ho Chi Minh City. The Rolex watch you bought in Patpong was made in a triad-owned factory in Beijing. The Canon digital camera you bought in Jatujak was made in a yakuza-owned factory in Kobe. The Joe Rocket leather racing suit you bought from an upmarket motorcycle dealer in Bangkok was a knockoff made in a mafia-controlled factory in Moscow.

A Jakarta triad has been churning out huge quantities of knockoff Benneton/Diesel/Lindeberg/Polo/Lacoste/Timberland/C&K/Versace shirts in both Indonesia and Thailand for years without a single bust ... and exports are thriving ... I've seen those same shirts on sale in Bali, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Myanmar, the Philippines, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Croatia.

Brand owners like Levi Strauss, Diesel, Calvin Klein, Nike, Louis Vuitton, Hermes, Chanel, Rolex, Rado, et al, know who the big time pirates are. They also know the lengths to which the counterfeiters will go to protect their interests. On the rare occasion when one is busted, it's an orchestrated event complete with on-the-spot media coverage ... a sacrifice of old worn-out machinery and reject products.

500 shirts makes that guy a local Pattaya small-timer. They nailed him to frighten other local small-timers.

With due respect, Rod, you are a bit misinformed.

I have done anti-counterfeiting work for many of the companies you mention for over 15 years. In Thailand, we bust over 1,000 people a year, from street vendors to huge factories owned by politicians, mafia, even minor nobility. There is no one out there that we know about yet cannot touch. None. And there is nothing "orchestrated" about it. The police do not decide who gets busted; it is the brand owners and their lawyers and investigators.

It has not always been this way, but it certainly is now. Note, though, that I'm talking just about Thailand, not about Indonesia or any other place.

On the other hand, some brand owners -- such as Versace and Diesel -- simply don't care much about counterfeits for some reason or another. Fighting counterfeits just isn't a part of their business plan. That is why you see so many fakes of certain brands, but relatively few of others. It is more a matter of the dealers knowing what's relatively safe to sell, and what isn't.

An article in this weeks pattaya today about a big bust in Mikes shopping mall,I just came back from there today,no change all the copy gear in full display.In fact they have some new season football shirts in.

I sure they just get it all back after the raid,for a small contribution to the policemen's ball.

If I was employing somewhere to be stopping it,I would think they are not doing a very good job.

I never said the fines/penalties imposed by the court are always high enough to insure that there is no recidivism. That is a comletely different matter altogether. I just said that paying off your local cops is not going to protect you from being busted -- because they're not the ones who decide who gets acted against and who doesn't.

As for getting stuff back, I'm sure it does happen. But if the investigator/lawyer who is coordinating the action is worth his salt, he will monitor the evidence throughout the police investigation and court prosecution process, and witness its destruction after everything is done with.

One particular client I represent has witnesssed a 98% drop in counterfeiting of its mark on the streets of Thailand since we started enforcement actions for them in 1996 -- based on independent market analysis. I'd say that's doing a pretty good job.

Different groups represent different brands, and whole other groups altogether represent the film and software industries. Don't paint the efforts of all with the same brush.

PvtDick..........have you ever thought about joining Howard and the volunteer police in Pattaya , sounds like it could be right up your street. They are much loved here as well. :o

I don't quite see the parallel, but no -- I have no interest in working for the Thai police.

PvtDick..........have  you  ever  thought  about  joining  Howard  and  the  volunteer  police  in  Pattaya  ,  sounds  like  it  could  be  right  up  your  street. They  are  much  loved  here  as  well.    :D

I don't quite see the parallel, but no -- I have no interest in working for the Thai police.

Nevermind, i/m sure one day a Thai gent who you "bust" will explain it to you. :o

PvtDick..........have  you  ever  thought  about  joining  Howard  and  the  volunteer  police  in  Pattaya  ,  sounds  like  it  could  be  right  up  your  street. They  are  much  loved  here  as  well.    :D

grasser, you would go down well in Jail there Dick!

It is ironic really, if there were no counterfeit clothing to bust, you would be out of a job, so they are actually supplying you with a lifestyle as well :o , get a real job Dick! :D

I saw one of those miserable creatures last month. The girl I was with pointed out a sorry-arsed farang in BigC and said "He police spy." She told me the lowlife bastard picks up ladyboys along Beach Road then has them busted by the cops. I doubt if he'll live long playing that game.

Is this for real?

Give me a break if the manufactures (sp?) made they clothes a bit more reasonably priced there would be non need for "knock offs"......example is the Newcastle United football chairman who was caught saying how they ripped the fans off by charging 40 pound for a football top when they were made in the Far East at 5 pound each...... Who are the real villians? :o

most people dont card about paying 40/50 quid for a footbal top, as there supporting their club financially by doing so :D