The Best Pub Grub In Bangkok

BenDan

Passed (walking) by Jools last week, but had just pigged out at Victoria's on Soi 7. Looked slow.

Victoria's great :D Love the cordon bleu or the Friday evening Raclette

Florin - I agree with you on the cordon blu and special Raclette at Victoria's. They also have many other great dishes.

I get by Victoria's at least once a week. Parking behind the food court opp. and make my way around. If you like English food the portions at Winking Frog are big. Prices are higher, but the Lamb chops are really good. Don't like the service too much though. The girls are a paper weights and have zero personality.

You can slip through the Park Hotel parking lot from Soi 7 and walk straight on to Soi 11 take a left and be at the new location ( 4 yrs) for the BH International formerly across the street from The Ship Inn. Great selection of hardy German food.

The Ship Inn is also good too.

Texxan has some good lunch specials and Lone Star always has a good taco. Washington Sq off Soi 22.

Madrid's at Patpong and Mizu's are hard to beat too.

Madrid's pizza makes Bill's "The Pizza Company" taste like cardboard. :o

:D

Well, where can i find it?

Doesn't have to be cheap or large portions; just good quality grub in a comfortable environment.

Hi,

Most of the recommended places here are in Sukhumvit (yawn). If you want to try a decent pub in Silom, try the Duke of Wellington's - just before bangkok Bank's head office - the British food is ###### good, if a bit pricey, and I like the atmosphere (sports TV but not too loud), big leather seats and a good atmosphere. It is quiet in the daytime and so good for a meet-up, and the staff and management are friendly, although with the usual over-fussiness and hawk-eyes, typical of Thai service (except when you really need it and then they seem to be looking the other way!). Also great for local and international newspapers and magazines and John Smith's.

If you like English food the portions at Winking Frog are big. Prices are higher, but the Lamb chops are really good. Don't like the service too much though. The girls are a paper weights and have zero personality.

Have to agree with the food in The Winking Frog. Its got a good menu with a great choice at not too bad prices. On the note of the staff. Spoke to Derek the other week. He sacked his staff(reasosn i wont go into) and now has new people working there. Aparently much better. So try again. Good priced Guinness too.

Doesn't have to be cheap or large portions; just good quality grub in a comfortable environment.

Hi,

Most of the recommended places here are in Sukhumvit (yawn). If you want to try a decent pub in Silom, try the Duke of Wellington's - just before bangkok Bank's head office - the British food is ###### good, if a bit pricey, and I like the atmosphere (sports TV but not too loud), big leather seats and a good atmosphere. It is quiet in the daytime and so good for a meet-up, and the staff and management are friendly, although with the usual over-fussiness and hawk-eyes, typical of Thai service (except when you really need it and then they seem to be looking the other way!). Also great for local and international newspapers and magazines and John Smith's.

Duke Of Wellington.......... more like puke of wellington.... how can you recommend this joint?

good atmosphere........ come on, its got the atmosphere of a morgue, the manager walks around like a stiff as well.

Leather seats.. eeeer yeah right. PVC more like.

every bar in Bangers has newspapers and mags, thats not enough to promote a bar.

its quiet in the day time because its a morgue, and it smells like death. thats coz its gonna close soon, no way can that place be earning any money.

Bullshead and Irish Xchange.

Well, if u mean the Irish Xchange on Silom, then I had 'Toad in the 'ole' and it was crap - they describe it as sausage on a Yorkshire pudding which is an insult. It gives Yorkshire a bad name - if they don't know what a Yorkshire pudding is they shouldn't serve it up as such. - they gave me a sausage on a thick, flat, greasy, indigestible, partly cooked pancake, which is what most people outside Yorkshire seem to think is one of our puddings - a disgrace. And the price for this plus a Thai meal and 2 pints of John Smith's was over 1000 baht! Won't eat there again.

Hi,

Duke Of Wellington.......... more like puke of wellington.... how can you recommend this joint?

good atmosphere........ come on, its got the atmosphere of a morgue, the manager walks around like a stiff as well.

Leather seats.. eeeer yeah right. PVC more like.

every bar in Bangers has newspapers and mags, thats not enough to promote a bar.

its quiet in the day time because its a morgue, and it smells like death. thats coz its gonna close soon, no way can that place be earning any money.

The question was about "good food in a comfortable environment", well, Ispeakthe truth, did u try the food, as you haven't mentioned anything about it here? And a comfortable environment to me is devoid of Essex girls and lager louts - just a uncrowded, quiet place where the air is not clouded with smoke and international newspapers are 'available', ie. not strewn everywhere or taken by the crowds. It is well patronised in the evenings by both Thais and farangs, who actually work for a living, and don't shout obcenities, so that's probably why it is quiet in the afternoons. I haven't been there at lunchtimes so don't know what it's like then. I recommend the fish and chips, ham steak, sausage and mash and steak and ale pie. And I don't know if the manager (who I don't know) walks around like a stiff, and I don't particularly care if he does - it's not something I look out for and wonder why some others do that - strange. And great PVC if that's what it is.

I've got to agree with "Ispeakthetruth" here, the DoW has a boring/bad atmosphere IMHO. There are many bars in BKK that are far superior in terms of atmosphere, quality of food and service. Strange place to recommend...

Edited by ashacat

Well, if u mean the Irish Xchange on Silom, then I had 'Toad in the 'ole' and it was crap - they describe it as sausage on a Yorkshire pudding which is an insult. It gives Yorkshire a bad name - if they don't know what a Yorkshire pudding is they shouldn't serve it up as such. - they gave me a sausage on a thick, flat, greasy, indigestible, partly cooked pancake, which is what most people outside Yorkshire seem to think is one of our puddings - a disgrace. And the price for this plus a Thai meal and 2 pints of John Smith's was over 1000 baht! Won't eat there again.

Toad in the hole has never been on the menu in the irish xchange, I asked the manager for it once and he said no way is that going on the menu. they dont sell John Smiths either. I think you must be speaking about another pub in silom, there are a few.

Toad in the hole has never been on the menu in the irish xchange, I asked the manager for it once and he said no way is that going on the menu. they dont sell John Smiths either. I think you must be speaking about another pub in silom, there are a few.

Hi,

I just checked and the Irish pub I mean is called o'Reilly's - next to Saladaeng BTS station. Have heard good reports of the food at the Irish Exchange, though.

I've got to agree with "Ispeakthetruth" here, the DoW has a boring/bad atmosphere IMHO. There are many bars in BKK that are far superior in terms of atmosphere, quality of food and service. Strange place to recommend...

DOW, is a place to avoid, for all the reasons that you and 'ispeakthetruth' have mentioned.

The Ship on Suk, soi 23 used to be my choice but not sure it is still good or even still operating. Small and very much a pub rather than the larger well known ones in town. It has been a few years since I last ate there.

Still there. Great Service, Good Food, Cold Beer. We stopped going to Old Dutch in favor of Shipp Inn. :o

Any establishment that gives us a genuine smile when we enter and order, and not just the fake *give me a big tip* smile when we depart, gets our loyal patronage (and fundage).

Disappointingly, Robin Hood, O'Reilly's, Londoner and Huntsman Pub's customer service techniques do not adhere to our patronage standards. It seems some establishments are more interested in making excuses instead of extending a simple and genuine *Sorry*. On a positive note, establishments that have broken the code on customer service now enjoy us contributing to their bottom line.

Opinions are like bung holes...everybody's got one. :D

The Ship on Suk, soi 23 used to be my choice but not sure it is still good or even still operating. Small and very much a pub rather than the larger well known ones in town. It has been a few years since I last ate there.

Still there. Great Service, Good Food, Cold Beer. We stopped going to Old Dutch in favor of Shipp Inn. :D

Any establishment that gives us a genuine smile when we enter and order, and not just the fake *give me a big tip* smile when we depart, gets our loyal patronage (and fundage).

Disappointingly, Robin Hood, O'Reilly's, Londoner and Huntsman Pub's customer service techniques do not adhere to our patronage standards. It seems some establishments are more interested in making excuses instead of extending a simple and genuine *Sorry*. On a positive note, establishments that have broken the code on customer service now enjoy us contributing to their bottom line.

Opinions are like bung holes...everybody's got one. :D

Nicely put :o When service sucks I stop visiting no matter how much I like the food. Really liked Old Dutch too but couldn't stand the service... and there's that Japanese restaurant (used to be Sumo, next to Pomodoro) - who has great deals but usually real crap service. Used to be full all the time too but now I'm starting to see seats available all the time.

As a resident of China I think you're rather spoilt in Bangkok; I couldn't find much wrong with The Robin Hood and the food i had in Bully's was pretty decent. A few posters have said negative things about these places, but i found the food to be better than that served in a lot of the pubs in England and the service far better. I really don't know what you guys are expecting.

As a resident of China I think you're rather spoilt in Bangkok; I couldn't find much wrong with The Robin Hood and the food i had in Bully's was pretty decent. A few posters have said negative things about these places, but i found the food to be better than that served in a lot of the pubs in England and the service far better. I really don't know what you guys are expecting.

Some people tend to forget that after a while here... :o

What an endless question....each to their own.

I have eaten at every "western pub" in BKK over the last 11 years I've lived here fulltime.

What I like most is the diversity that each different establishment brings to their menu items ie: bangers n mash in one place will be different in another, but still tasty.

For me the best pub grub is a combo of menu items in a few different establishments I frequent (no names sorry :D )

And the point of this post relating to the OP :o

• 4 weeks later...

DOW, is a place to avoid, for all the reasons that you and 'ispeakthetruth' have mentioned.

Of the pubs in the Silom area , Duke of Wellington is the one I frequent the most.

As somebody else said "opinions are like <deleted>", or something like that.

Cheers

Of the pubs in the Silom area , Duke of Wellington is the one I frequent the most.

As somebody else said "opinions are like <deleted>", or something like that.

Cheers

Yep, can't disagree with you on that. It's a good job we all don't like the same place anyway, as it would be a nihtmare to get served. :o

try the winking frog great food and good service very friendly

On Soi 5 ? Owners an arragant #$@%