Kawasaki Vulcan/honda Shadow/yamaha Dragstar 400cc

madyakka

I am looking at buying a new bike ,I have had a few bikes before but know very little about them as such ,so I thought I would ask the guys on Tv with experience to give me their opinion.The three bikes I have chosen fits my budget and the style I like, all replies welcome

Regards

Madyakka :o

I am looking at buying a new bike ,I have had a few bikes before but know very little about them as such ,so I thought I would ask the guys on Tv with experience to give me their opinion.The three bikes I have chosen fits my budget and the style I like, all replies welcome

Regards

Madyakka :D

None of them, a Honda Wave 125 can out-run any of those 400cc, even up-hill, and that would I not be able to bare. :o

Regards

Tilapia.

I have a Honda Steed which is very comfortable to ride & if looked after will go 'forever'. I've also ridden a Dragster which for me is too low & the 400cc not so great , others may disagree, I don't know. The Honda Shadow is my preference 1100cc which again for me is a great ride. The Vulcan I have no experience with. I take it your not into 'performance' bikes? These bikes you mention are great for cruising around on & I'm sure you'll have alot of pleasure.

Good luck with what you chose & good riding :o

Regards

None of them, a Honda Wave 125 can out-run any of those 400cc, even up-hill, and that would I not be able to bare. :D

Regards

Tilapia.

:D well as I have a honda wave at the moment :o I doubt it,although I get your point :D

what would you recomend?I have chosen 400cc only because of the price ,

Regards

Madyakka

Regards

None of them, a Honda Wave 125 can out-run any of those 400cc, even up-hill, and that would I not be able to bare. :D

Regards

Tilapia.

:D well as I have a honda wave at the moment :o I doubt it,although I get your point :D

what would you recomend?I have chosen 400cc only because of the price ,

Regards

Madyakka

There's very little price difference between a 400c & 600cc. I'd go for the bigger capacity for a heavy bike

I had a 400 Shadow- liked it a lot. Very comfortable, A LOT more power than a little 125cc toy bike. A cruiser isnt built to be fast off the line - thats what a Super 4 is for. Cruisng at 130 -140 was no problem at all. Nice power in 3rd, 4th gears. I used to pass the little ones like they were standing still on the highway. And one look at tire size will tell you which bike is more stable, safer, etc. With all of that, a step up to the 750, for the price, is probably worth it. I've ridden the 600 Shadow and Steed- both nice. +1 on the Dragstar being too low.

I've got the 400 dragstar yep low and slow :o

It's enough for me but I think a little better acceleration woudln't be a bad deal, just happens to be the best one for my back.

I think next time around I will go for the Honda 750, seem to have the good qaulities of the dragstar and some horsepower.

I tried a 1100 dragstar obvioulsy more HP but it gave my back a bad time, I have no idea why the two bikes look exactly the same

Edited by ray23

Thanks for the feedback,anyone on TV with a Vulcan? I will be buying in the next month if I can find the right bike right price!.....must have plate and greenbook.A couple of comments about the Dragstar being too low, would that be for tall guys? I'm only 5'10......

Regards

Madyakka

Regards

Take no notice of the speed freaks, you definatly dont want a fast bike in thailand, the guys on the 125s still get killed even if they are slower, a chopper style is probably the way to go here, and ive been a sports bike rider all my life, but in thailand ? no way, sit back and go steady,

Take no notice of the speed freaks, you definatly dont want a fast bike in thailand, the guys on the 125s still get killed even if they are slower, a chopper style is probably the way to go here, and ive been a sports bike rider all my life, but in thailand ? no way, sit back and go steady

Totally agree there, I spent about 5 years living there and as I lived in Bkk I ended up with a Phantom, a bigger bike in bangers just gets you stuck in traffic all the time. In the UK it's been sports/road bikes all the way. I found the state of the roads in Thailand to be appalling and holes/drain covers dirt/oil everywhere. Sports bikes will just get you into trouble, customs or road bikes are the way to go IMO.

If I were doing a lot of travelling around LOS then a bigger cc than 400 would be essential, on mountain roads a lot of grunt is very useful and I found the relaxed position and lower speeds of a custom the right mixture whilst enjoying the scenery and pleasure of cruising around and still being safe.

I have ridden bikes all my life and I would say SE Asia is one of the most dangerous places to ride a motorcycle. The quality of roads, reckless driving, volume of traffic, lack of protective clothing ( too hot ) means you have to be extra careful. If you have an accident in LOS it's likely to cost you, and the lack of protective clothing is probably going to mean more serious injuries.

Do not take any notice of those going on about speed here it will get you more trouble than it's worth.You only have one body don't forget that.

Edited by englishoak

Take no notice of the speed freaks, you definatly dont want a fast bike in thailand, the guys on the 125s still get killed even if they are slower, a chopper style is probably the way to go here, and ive been a sports bike rider all my life, but in thailand ? no way, sit back and go steady

Totally agree there, I spent about 5 years living there and as I lived in Bkk I ended up with a Phantom, a bigger bike in bangers just gets you stuck in traffic all the time. In the UK it's been sports/road bikes all the way. I found the state of the roads in Thailand to be appalling and holes/drain covers dirt/oil everywhere. Sports bikes will just get you into trouble, customs or road bikes are the way to go IMO.

If I were doing a lot of travelling around LOS then a bigger cc than 400 would be essential, on mountain roads a lot of grunt is very useful and I found the relaxed position and lower speeds of a custom the right mixture whilst enjoying the scenery and pleasure of cruising around and still being safe.

I have ridden bikes all my life and I would say SE Asia is one of the most dangerous places to ride a motorcycle. The quality of roads, reckless driving, volume of traffic, lack of protective clothing ( too hot ) means you have to be extra careful. If you have an accident in LOS it's likely to cost you, and the lack of protective clothing is probably going to mean more serious injuries.

Do not take any notice of those going on about speed here it will get you more trouble than it's worth.You only have one body don't forget that.

You are right of-cause, sports-bikes are very dangerous, but the feeling of opening up the trottle on a curvy back-road with not to many holes :D is incredible, or going around 100 to 120KPH in 2nd gear and pull a power-wheelie :D .....Cant do that on a Phantom, so I'm willing to take risk, and I have be eating dust a few times :o . I know, its not the sensible way, but then again, neither is sleeping, most people die in there beds :D I prefere having my boots on, or being shot at the age of 85, by a jealous husband.

Regards

Ok I'm 5-10 and the 400 fits me perfectly, the 750 Honda is low as well.

One of the guys here ha Vulcan I have never ridden it. But, he recently bought a Suzuki 800 and he was just won't get off it..

sports bike ther are five clubs in Udon one of which is sports bikes. They ride hard and I mean really hard.

I enjoy not being on edge all the time and I get enough thrills just staying with the shinney side up at a 100. But everyone is different We tend to ride with as a family group wifes get real nervous when thing get edgy. So for me the 400 is fine. I will be going to a bigger bike eventually, but that is just cause I want it not because I need it for the style of riding I do.

So I would think you really have to look at what you want to do with the bike the dragstar 400 is underpowered for most, but enough if the object is to enjoy a leisurely ride and actually see some of the country your going through.

I asure you that Phantom 150 I had tuned properly and the right exhaust was faster then the 400, it also beat you to death. So look at what you want to do then find the bike that will do it for you.

Ok I'm 5-10 and the 400 fits me perfectly, the 750 Honda is low as well.

One of the guys here ha Vulcan I have never ridden it. But, he recently bought a Suzuki 800 and he was just won't get off it..

sports bike ther are five clubs in Udon one of which is sports bikes. They ride hard and I mean really hard.

I enjoy not being on edge all the time and I get enough thrills just staying with the shinney side up at a 100. But everyone is different We tend to ride with as a family group wifes get real nervous when thing get edgy. So for me the 400 is fine. I will be going to a bigger bike eventually, but that is just cause I want it not because I need it for the style of riding I do.

So I would think you really have to look at what you want to do with the bike the dragstar 400 is underpowered for most, but enough if the object is to enjoy a leisurely ride and actually see some of the country your going through.

I asure you that Phantom 150 I had tuned properly and the right exhaust was faster then the 400, it also beat you to death. So look at what you want to do then find the bike that will do it for you.

Ray, I had a Phantom 150CC kick start, that was a teriffic bike & I've regretted selling it eversince. I moved up to the Steed 600 which I still have, again a nice ride but with no frills. I bought a CB750CC a couple of months back which was in an awful condition but is almost ready to make it's appearance on the highways again after a 2 year absence.

The Steed will have to go as I don't have time to give it the use it deserves.

(so if anyone knows who might be interested in a Steed give us a pm :o )

You are right of-cause, sports-bikes are very dangerous, but the feeling of opening up the trottle on a curvy back-road with not to many holes :D is incredible, or going around 100 to 120KPH in 2nd gear and pull a power-wheelie :D .....Cant do that on a Phantom, so I'm willing to take risk, and I have be eating dust a few times :o . I know, its not the sensible way, but then again, neither is sleeping, most people die in there beds :bah: I prefere having my boots on, or being shot at the age of 85, by a jealous husband.

Regards

:D Your a long time dead, so live life to the full,as for being shot ! learn to be more discreet. :D

regards

Madyakka

You are right of-cause, sports-bikes are very dangerous, but the feeling of opening up the trottle on a curvy back-road with not to many holes is incredible, or going around 100 to 120KPH in 2nd gear and pull a power-wheelie .....Cant do that on a Phantom, so I'm willing to take risk, and I have be eating dust a few times . I know, its not the sensible way, but then again, neither is sleeping, most people die in there beds I prefere having my boots on, or being shot at the age of 85, by a jealous husband.

Ride hard Die free etc yea I know, been there, done that. It ain't the dying that gets me it's being mangled and having to live with it after. :o

Too many of my friends in LOS are now seriously disabled etc from accidents. Mostly because they don't wear good protection, as I said it's too hot so I confine being a speed freak to the UK. I can't think of a worse fate than being mangled up while living in LOS just cos you like to pop a wheelie or two. But as you say takes all kinds so up to you and I wish you well.

If your looking for those bendy roads then the mountains in Kanchanaburi are fantastic. Just watch out for the trucks & sand as you drift accross the center line banked over and knee down. :D

Kanchanaburi, that sound intersting of course I will be putt putting along, how about posting a route?

That darn 150 would go when nothing else would, a friend bought it from me I got a chance to ride it the othre day, just fine. He is having to sell it as he relocating for work. He is almost in tears.

You are right of-cause, sports-bikes are very dangerous, but the feeling of opening up the trottle on a curvy back-road with not to many holes is incredible, or going around 100 to 120KPH in 2nd gear and pull a power-wheelie .....Cant do that on a Phantom, so I'm willing to take risk, and I have be eating dust a few times . I know, its not the sensible way, but then again, neither is sleeping, most people die in there beds I prefere having my boots on, or being shot at the age of 85, by a jealous husband.

Ride hard Die free etc yea I know, been there, done that. It ain't the dying that gets me it's being mangled and having to live with it after. :o

Too many of my friends in LOS are now seriously disabled etc from accidents. Mostly because they don't wear good protection, as I said it's too hot so I confine being a speed freak to the UK. I can't think of a worse fate than being mangled up while living in LOS just cos you like to pop a wheelie or two. But as you say takes all kinds so up to you and I wish you well.

If your looking for those bendy roads then the mountains in Kanchanaburi are fantastic. Just watch out for the trucks & sand as you drift accross the center line banked over and knee down. :D

I will stay allert, have made a trip Kanchanaburi, it was awsome, nice roads and some extreme driving, want to do it again, but getting the time is a problem, work is a bad thing, takes up all your free time.

Regards

I've had a vulcan 1500cc, but in europe. It was a good bike to ride. Its only a 2 cylinder and has massive power in the low rpm's. You can start in any gear from stop, although the 4th (highest) gear would require attention, since on revolution covers several meters!

please note that I am talking about 1988 or 1989 model...

I took it on a holiday in the mountains and covered 6000km in 3 weeks. I found out some interesting facts about the bike. It ran shit on octane 95 but was good on 91. The original sparkplugs overheated when driving faster than 140km/h and turned the bike into a popcorn device. After replacing them with colder type i could drive happily 160km/h for long streches. When you do however use it for high speed (highway), you need a windscreen, bcs your upper body sits directly in the wind. (good biceps training though ;-) ).

The power of the big engine and only 2 cylinders was a dream in the mountains! I think your height would be not a problem.

I had a (european) girlfriend at the time and she complained about a painful ass after 30min or so. The driver seat is great and has a little backsupport due to chopper design. But anyway, her ass was european size and (needs) covers a lot more seating-surface than the locals here...

The vibrations on highspeed were not a problem, incase you wondered. (everything is suspended in rubber)

• 6 months later...

If you still haven't bought one, I would recommend you the Vulcan 900 Classic or the Custom.

It's a very stable bike with a quite low ride. Perfect big bike feel for someone your height .

The liquid and water cooled Vtwin is the perfect size for cruising in Thailand. It stays quite cool depite the heat out here.

It's a bit more pricey @ 460K Baht, but you'll get a good 3 warranty.

The official Kawi dealer in BKK are really friendly and offers good service.

And the looks are just amazing!..

Have a look at it

www.kawasakibigbike.com

I can recommend the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom, the first and most important reason is it comes with factory warranty, the second good part is the handling. My g/f rides one around town, but the 900cc is surely no girly bike it is capable of good performance.

Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Customer Review

Edited by Richard-BKK

Hi, I ended up buying a Suzuki intruder 750 which I am happy with for now, but no doubt I will invest in a newer, sleeker machine with maybe just a wee bit more bite at some point in the future :D ,

thanks for your replies,