Condominiums & Foreign Ownership Percentage

I am looking to buy a condo in Bangkok and I am aware of the 51% Thai ownership rules for buildings however, is it based on building volume, the number of thai ownership of the lots in the building or area ratio?

I would would appreaciate some advice on this issue.

"I am looking to buy a condo in Bangkok and I am aware of the 51% Thai ownership rules for buildings however, is it based on building volume...?"

You are exactly right. It IS based on the volume of the building. That's why Thais are sold condos with high cielings, and farangs are sold condos with low cielings.

All info from Department of Land can be found on http://www.dol.go.th/eng_version/menu.php

There are condominium juristic persons where farangs are registered to much more than stipulated - also where this never has been allowed. This means that if you are a registered farang owner of such a juristic person you are not allowed to sell to another farang - unless you use dirty tricks as well. Hereby I want to underline that not even registered ownership of a conominium is as protected as it should be.

Edited by tominchaam