Meter Taxis - What The Fcuk?

Sanpatong

So... In Bangkok late at night when pubs and bars close, meter taxis are stacked almost on top of each other waiting for business.

In Chiang Mai though in nightlife areas they're nowhere to be seen.. Called the number, but taxi didn't show up. In the end just took a Red Bus, which ARE plentiful (as are tuk tuks).

So... I'm all for not drinking and driving, AND I'm all for meter taxis.. But why do they go AWOL when they could make good business and provide a needed service?

I used the taxi service for the first time a couple of weeks back and was quoted 150 baht for Rimping Condo to Mi Casa out on Suthep Road which didn't seem such a bad deal on a wet night but was ignored when enquiring use of the meter but I agreed the fare and arranged a return trip and the same taxi was there on time so not such a bad deal but meters are apparently for decorative purposes only.

I had friends in town a couple months ago and was forced to use taxis and rot daeng quite a bit. I kept the cards of the 'honest' drivers and kept calling them back. Maybe I will dig out the taxi guys' cards that were willing to use their meters and post their names n numbers. Only thing I suggest is that you or an interpreter explain that the numbers are passed along because they are fair and that you expect they use the meters again...ie that's why you patronize them in the first place.

Also tried going thru the command center to get a cab once for the group.... waste of time. Even in Thai, difficult to arrange, and ended up none available for when I wanted...ie not interested.

Whatever, gotta work with what's available when you need it.

So... In Bangkok late at night when pubs and bars close, meter taxis are stacked almost on top of each other waiting for business.

In Chiang Mai though in nightlife areas they're nowhere to be seen.. Called the number, but taxi didn't show up. In the end just took a Red Bus, which ARE plentiful (as are tuk tuks).

So... I'm all for not drinking and driving, AND I'm all for meter taxis.. But why do they go AWOL when they could make good business and provide a needed service?

as long as tuk tuks/ song teuws are around at night, taxis wont bother to be around.

my taxi driver picks me up when im drunk, and she puts me to bed as well :o

I keep hearing that they refuse to use the meter, so I don't even bother with them. :D

Call for a metered taxi. They will ask where you are located, your name, phone number and number of passengers and when you want the taxi to arrive. Then they will ask you for your destination so they can quote you a price. Simply tell them that you don't have a final destination, must make several different stops, and will rely on their honest use of the meter. They won't like it, but they do go along with it. I've done it several times. Sometimes the driver will tell you that you have to pay extra for the extra stops, but if you're only going one place there are NO extra stops to get charged for....

They don't like that either. Screw 'em. :o

I used the taxi service for the first time a couple of weeks back and was quoted 150 baht for Rimping Condo to Mi Casa out on Suthep Road which didn't seem such a bad deal on a wet night but was ignored when enquiring use of the meter but I agreed the fare and arranged a return trip and the same taxi was there on time so not such a bad deal but meters are apparently for decorative purposes only.

Right.. though in a Red Bus, around midnight, I paid 150 baht to go from Thapae Gate all the way out to Ban Nai Fun in Hang Dong. The trip you mention they'd do for 15-40 baht depending on the time of day and number of people.

• 2 weeks later...
I keep hearing that they refuse to use the meter, so I don't even bother with them. :D

Call for a metered taxi. They will ask where you are located, your name, phone number and number of passengers and when you want the taxi to arrive. Then they will ask you for your destination so they can quote you a price. Simply tell them that you don't have a final destination, must make several different stops, and will rely on their honest use of the meter. They won't like it, but they do go along with it. I've done it several times. Sometimes the driver will tell you that you have to pay extra for the extra stops, but if you're only going one place there are NO extra stops to get charged for....

Well, they've now beaten me! When I tried my usual "need to use the meter as we'll be stopping several places" line, they came back with " there will be a 50 baht service charge to use the meter now."

TIT

Well, they've now beaten me! When I tried my usual "need to use the meter as we'll be stopping several places" line, they came back with " there will be a 50 baht service charge to use the meter now."

TIT

do you meen the meter will start at fifty bhat before you go anywhere? this is common practice in most countries.there is normally a minimum fare

Right, as it is in Chiang Mai. Meter ALREADY starts at 45 or 50 I think.

But they don't think that's enough, so they want another 50.

In other words, they want 100 baht just to get off their bottoms and into their cars.

I suggest telling them where they can shove their meter, so as to at least get SOME use out of the thing.

Edited by Sanpatong

TIT

do you meen the meter will start at fifty bhat before you go anywhere? this is common practice in most countries.there is normally a minimum fare

When taking a metered cab prior to this new rule, the meter began at 0. That was a surprise. As you say, most countries have a 'first drop,' some quite high. When I left Japan seven years ago, the first drop was $6 USD even if you were only going two blocks. However, a taxi in Japan can (and does) cost more for a 25k ride than a taxi in Malaysia costs for a 300k ride....

All the local cab people said, when I told them I wanted to use the meter, was that there was a 50 baht service charge. I think one day this week I'll hire one, have them use the meter, and run up to the Ma Sa valley, Doi Saket, and back to Chiang Mai, and see what the cost will be. I want to go to the Queen's Botanical Gardens anyway, and stop at Rimping on the way back, so it will be interesting. If I hired a car and driver, the cost would be about 400-500 baht.

I wonder whether the taxis are only permited to wait at certain places.I only ever see them waiting for a fare outside Airport Plaza.

When i drove a metered taxi in farangland i knew what time the trains arrived at the station, what time flights landed at the airport, what time all the pubs , restaurants and nightclubs closed.Therefore, thats where i waited. Ive never walked out of the Riverside, the airport, the train station, Loi Kroi entertainment plaza, The Dukes or any other place that i know where there is a chance holiday makers might be and seen a taxi waiting. At the places i mention as examples , i have seen many tuk-tuks .Indeed, ive never had a problem getting home after a night out as there has always been a tuk-tuk driver hanging around for the likes of me.

Maybe the taxis cannot flag for fares? Are they licensed for pre bookings only? Even if they were would they care? There has to be more to it than meets the eye. I cant believe taxi drivers in this town are too stupid to go looking for work.They must be really limited to certain jobs . That must be the reason for the silly attitude they have toward the meter and fixed rates.

Actually, if they are not resricted in any way , i would seriously consider setting my step son up with a metered taxi.Im sure i could show him the places to wait for a fare.Im also sure alot of falang would appreciate getting a ride home in a nice vehicle with an honest guy who will charge them whats on the meter. I must be right or this thread would not have been started

I totally agree. i would happily join forces and go out on a destruction spree of tuk-tuks and red cars and then replace them with metre taxis.

How the f does a person get home late at night when a little out of town? Well, probably the same way i do: drunk, reckless, stupid.

Problem: Most of the CM residents can't afford taxis so there is still real need for those travelling stink bombs around town. There are also local gangsters invloved in running these red car racquets, and that mean, the police run these dodgy ops. Before you change the entire culture you will have to put up with those horrific things and no metre taxis.

Unless, some clever farang with a bit of Thai backing starts up Charlie's Taxi service. Buy 20 cars with your farag bucks and hire some poverty stricken Issan dude with eight kids and three wives+UBC to pay for in the arid province. Pay them next to f all, charge loads of cash for metre rental (which they will assiduously try not to use) and hire your your ex-bar girl girlfriend to talk incoherently down the radio.

You sit at home all the time getting fat from profits.