Thailand 3

???????

They list:

Bangkok, Boeing 737-400, 3/3/2001

Surat Thani, Airbus 300-200, 12/12/1998

I added yesterdays in Phuket

Total 3

2 more in post #19 alone ,

Commerical seems to be the problem ..............................

I'm not sure how relevant this is, but it's interesting to compare 3 countries with similar populations, the UK, France and Thailand. All fairly equivalent in terms of incidents. However, I'm sure that the air traffic is a big multiple in UK and France more than Thailand, which would probably mean that Thailand is doing slightly relatively worse than those two countries.

Yesterday's horrific plane crash in Phuket, with the loss of about 90 lives, is another in a series of disasters that have hit Thailand in recent years.

Without being too specific we have had the Tsunami, a number of Ferry accidents, including the speedboat that capsized returning to Koh Samui from the full moon party, and hardly a week goes by without hearing of some bus crash, or pickup carrying 20 odd people back to Isaan going over a cliff. Murder and rape are on the increase. There seems to be very little value put on life.

Is it merely bad luck or can something be done?

Can you do something for me? For a four week period starting October the 1st, make a note of all crashes, murders and rapes in Thailand in the press and on TV, and make a note of similar incidents reported in Thai media that happen in your native country. Ask someone in you native country to do the same - incidents reported in the media in native country and Thailand, then report back with your findings.

Singapore 0

Taiwan 4

The list is either incorrect or takes into account where the accident happened, not who actually crashed.

How would that Egypt Air crash in USA a few years back be counted? As an US crash? Or Air France A340 in Toronto?

For example, SQ006 that crashed in Taipei still maintains "0" for Singapore, although their very plane crashed there into heavy machinery on the wrong runway - SQ crew mistook it as the right one for take-off.

That crash had 83 fatalities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Airlines_Flight_006

Edited by think_too_mut

Yesterday's horrific plane crash in Phuket, with the loss of about 90 lives, is another in a series of disasters that have hit Thailand in recent years.

Without being too specific we have had the Tsunami, a number of Ferry accidents, including the speedboat that capsized returning to Koh Samui from the full moon party, and hardly a week goes by without hearing of some bus crash, or pickup carrying 20 odd people back to Isaan going over a cliff. Murder and rape are on the increase. There seems to be very little value put on life.

In reality there isn't such a thing as bad luck, bad planning, bad road laws, bad marine laws, the list goes on.

Something could be done but it wont happen straight away, bad drivers will continue to operate, boats and ferries will continue to be overloaded, nothing will change immediately

I'm not sure how relevant this is, but it's interesting to compare 3 countries with similar populations, the UK, France and Thailand. All fairly equivalent in terms of incidents. However, I'm sure that the air traffic is a big multiple in UK and France more than Thailand, which would probably mean that Thailand is doing slightly relatively worse than those two countries.

Heathrow airport alone deals with more passengers than the whole of Thailand.

think too mut - yes the data does reflect the country in which the crash took place.

mid - commecial only

taxexile - i didn't see the lauda air crash listed but it could be there in a non commercial category

The data base is huge and has all kinds of ways to access. Here is the link. Have fun!!

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/query.asp

Edit - Now that I think of it, the data base would contain only those air crashes investigated by the FAA. The FAA is not involved in all but they do investigate the vast majority. I do think the data reflects the relative number by country even though a few may be missing.

Edited by roietjimmy

Oh, could be handling 68 mil passengers, Don Muang and/or Suvarnabhumi are near the 45 mil figure. They are in the same ball park. Then add other Thai airports.

Sydney does 25mil.

Oh, could be handling 68 mil passengers, Don Muang and/or Suvarnabhumi are near the 45 mil figure. They are in the same ball park. Then add other Thai airports.

Sydney does 25mil.

Agree, Air traffic is a major factor. Also note the data covers from 1962 until now. The US has by far the most air traffic and has the longest commercial air transport history. Given this the US is and would be expected to top the list.

The more careful you are and the more you follow instructions and safety regulations the luckier you get :o

got to agree here, less controls in place = more accidents, sadly in the uk the controls for many things have gone way over the top.

better to be safe than sorry ,you can never have too many rules and regulations in place .

I have to disagree with that.

We do need rules and regulations but on the other hand they can go way over the top with them in some instances.

Where peoples lives are at potential risk such as aircraft, driving and the like then yes do what is possible to reduce the hazards but we can have too many rules in life in general and often a bit of good old commom sense is what is needed, not another rule added to the book of life.

I agree that common sense is needed but unfortunately it's not that common :D

Most laws are based on common sense but if they were not there, and enforced, people would still carry on without using "common" sense. It would be considered common sense to use a helmet when riding a bike but without a law enforcing it most people ride without :D

Two noted theologians weigh in:

"The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularise America, I point the finger in their face and say, 'You helped this happen.' " -- Khun Jerry Falwell

"If there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God, you just rejected Him from your city. And don't wonder why he hasn't helped you when problems begin, if they begin. I'm not saying they will, but if they do, just remember, you just voted God out of your city. And if that's the case, don't ask for His help because He might not be there." -- Khun Pat Robertson