Solomon Usb Edge Modem

Thaigreg

Hi,

I'm interested in possibly purchasing a SOLOMON EDGE USB Modem for high speed internet. I've been told that the modem cost 6,900 baht, the sim card used with it cost 400 baht for 6 six months, and the cost per hour is 1.5 baht. Does this sound true or have I been misinformed? Thanks

Greg

Hi,

I'm interested in possibly purchasing a SOLOMON EDGE USB Modem for high speed internet. I've been told that the modem cost 6,900 baht, the sim card used with it cost 400 baht for 6 six months, and the cost per hour is 1.5 baht. Does this sound true or have I been misinformed? Thanks

Greg

I bought one but it was before EDGE was available. The bottom line is that it will be no better than an EDGE capable phone. It works off the GPRS system and uses regular SIM cards. I use AIS and prepay monthly. There are many different GPRS programs available. Mine is 20 hours for 107 baht. I (loaned) gave my Solomon to a Thai friend of mine. He is still using it. If EDGE is not available in your area, you will likely be disappointed because it is so slow.

Not too sure about what simcard you were advised about.

The price of the modem could currently be correct, I paid 7900, but this was a few months ago when it just came out.

Most shops offer a free netsim card from AIS with the modem, which I think currently gives you 30 hours of acces/month for free. You do have to keep an eye on the validity of your sim, it'll come with 30 days, then you'll need a 300 Baht top up every 3 months, regardless of the credit being depleted or not.

Every minute beyond the 30 hours will get billed 1 Baht/minute.

Alternatively if you're a heavy user you can change to a different package giving you more hours for a monthly fee.

107 Baht will give you 20 hours extra/month, 214 Baht I think gives 50 hours and so on.

Dial 1175 for an English speaking operator who can set you up with any of the packages, or if you like listening to a computervoive and press numbers, you can do it automated by dialing *138. You do need to have the simcard in a phone then, after you can mlove it back to the solomon modem...