Anyone Know Mtu & Mru For A Totdiamondbiz Connection?

Veazer

I am settting up the shared internet connection at a friend's office and it seems a bit slow. I am getting about 2366/420 absolute max on a 3072/512 connection. I thought it should be higher, even with overhead. Currently their modem/router combo is set to 1400/1492 for MTU/MRU. Also, anyone know what the contention ratio for this package is? i am getting full second dropouts of no data and 1000-1200 kbps speeds in the day, seems absurd.

I did search for this info, sorry if I missed something obvious.

TIA!

EDIT: TYPO

Edited by Veazer

You might try this application to check the MTUs in the network path. TZ Connection Booster

But if the router is lower than actual wouldn't that just discover the MTU of the router if it's run from the PC? or would I set the router to an artificially high number and then start testing? Not sure...

I've seen TZ Connection Booster before, it's just so freakin' ancient that I could never bring myself to install it considering the registry entries it's about to mess with. If I can achieve the same by specifying increasing ping packet sizes (ping -l xxxx) then I would prefer it, but if this app does more I'll consider it. I was hoping someone might know the numbers outright so I wouldn't need to experiment too much.

Are these international speeds or local? If international, try to see what the local numbers are. The overhead is around 20% ... so 3072-20%= 2457 not far from the 2366 you get.

The 1000-1200 kbs you refer too ... are these international or local?

The highest speeds were from the thaivisa speedtest. I also used http://speedtest.adslthailand.com, but it seemed to be unreliable and paused a lot even when international tests didn't. The international tests were similar to the TV speedtest. I prefer speakeasy.net/speedtest for US link testing.

I didn't see the high numbers till after 6pm, all tests were in the 1000-1500 range during the day. I was ready to install a VoIP setup for them to try, but when I saw those massive dropouts i decided against it. What kind of @!# connection does one need to buy before they can have decent voip?

What kind of @!# connection does one need to buy before they can have decent voip?

i have since two weeks a bread-and-butter 1024/512 TOT connection and make crystal clear phone calls every day. still keep the sh*tty² Maxnet on the other line in case TOT fails.

didn't even know that TOT offers business or some kind of premier packages. can any enlighten me please?

As long as you on public accounts you've to accept that the connection is shared, read the fine print of the contract!

Even with leased line the ISP garants the speed between the Subscriber and the ISP's server only! Local speed to other servers than the ISP's will dropping and international will drops more!

But vor VoIP you'll need a down- and upload speed from constant min. 98 kbps! So the speed you getting should be much enough!

As long as you on public accounts you've to accept that the connection is shared, read the fine print of the contract!

Even with leased line the ISP garants the speed between the Subscriber and the ISP's server only! Local speed to other servers than the ISP's will dropping and international will drops more!

But vor VoIP you'll need a down- and upload speed from constant min. 98 kbps! So the speed you getting should be much enough!

Do you realize you actually used an exclamation point for every sentence this time Reimar? I think that might be a record.

I understand that the connection is shared, but on an expensive business connection there should not be frequent periods of 1 second or more of no data transfer. Voip doesn't need a lot of bandwidth, but surely you understand that these 1 second dropouts will make voip undesirable if not unusable for business users. The Thai ISPs don't make any promises for voip on the cheapo home packages, but for this they should be delivering more. But before I say too much, I need to actually test the connection using the VoIP equipment. It's possible that TOT is recognizing the QOS tags and that could change the outcome greatly.

@Dr. Naam - I'm not sure how they got the package, but i did see a xerox copy of the different packages. they're not too cheap. i think they're paying about 6K for the 3072/512. They're all called platinumbiz, diamondbiz, etc. depending on speed. I can get more details if you need, just let me know. I wasn't able to find anything on the net regarding the specifics. I did find one reseller using the same package names though.

@RKASA - Ok, i'll be a little braver and take another look. Didn't some of the network-related reg settings change after XP SP2 though? This program is from 2003....

@Dr. Naam - I'm not sure how they got the package, but i did see a xerox copy of the different packages. they're not too cheap. i think they're paying about 6K for the 3072/512. They're all called platinumbiz, diamondbiz, etc. depending on speed. I can get more details if you need, just let me know. I wasn't able to find anything on the net regarding the specifics. I did find one reseller using the same package names though.

i'd appreciate your help very much Veazer and wouldn't mind to pay 6k or more for a fast connection. paid for a long time 4k for Maxnet Premier 1024/512 which never was satisfactory and since three months it's absolute rubbish.

my present TOT "el cheapo" is at least stable and that is already a huge progress. don't know though what TOT is technically able to offer me at my location.

Dr Naam you can always just call the TOT call center and the nice man will go through all the available packages for you. 1100.

They are not making any kind of effort to actually sell these - you have ask and ask and ask until they have told you all the details. I don't think the tech support has info on contention ratio but you can rest assured the higher the price the lower the ratio.

TOT even let me try out a biz line - slight caveat is that they didn't inform me when they made the switch so my line just dropped out for no reason and the call center wasn't informed either but that's a story for another day...

I have the cheapo 1024 which is fast enough for me, the main problem is reliability, e.g. that thing breaks down every day or so. So I tried gold biz and found it not more reliable at all + switched back to the regular gold.

I assume that reliability issues are happening mostly either in the local switch station, the local lines, or they are other technical issues that affect all TOT users. So getting a business package does not increase reliability significantly. They might prioritise you when you call in with issues but I would not bet on them actually waking the local guys before 9 am if your line is down at say, 6 am. As happened to me recently... They are like, oh, well OK you tell us the whole village is down, however the engineers come into the office at 9 am, we have to wait for them. I am like so it's OK for the internet to be out in the whole village for 3 hours? Apparently so. Engineers need their sleep, you see?

For higher speeds, biz may well be worth it. And could you please post all package deals currently available when you have the info, would be good to know thanks!

Edited by nikster

If found this and this, it looks similar to the photocopy they had at the office. Still no contention ratio listed though.

EDIT: BTW, the vpi/vci are different than maxnet for these packages. I don't have access to their modem at the moment so I'm not sure what they are. It took me some time to realize this before I could get the connection up.

Edited by Veazer