Loi Krathong In 2007

Rasseru

I am making plans for friends to visit us in Chiangmai in November, and am trying to find out when the Loi Krathong festival will be held this year. I've been able to find out that the full moon in November will be on either the 24th or 25th, so I assume that whichever of those nights is in fact the full moon night will also be the last night of the festival. Anyone know, or, better yet, have a link to an official Loi Krathong site of some kind that provides the information?

On this evening after dark people will go to their local lake or waterway and float specially made baskets onto the water. The baskets are traditionally made from the bark of a banana tree with banana leafs and flowers as decoration, although in recent times polystyrene is used as the base. Also on the float will be a candle and three incense sticks.

The bark of the banana tree? Maybe in Cheltenham, England where Totster comes from the banana tree has bark but here in Thailand it is made out of a transverse slice of a banana stem.

This creates a disc which is then held together by bamboo toothpicks to keep the segments from falling apart.

Other point is that Chiang Mai district has an odd way of changing the Official celebration date but it is a full moon celebration so will fall around the 24 of November but anyone who has been here in CM at that time will know that it goes of for at least three days.

CB

"...but here in Thailand it is made out of a transverse slice of a banana stem."

You sure know alot about them 'transverstites.' No wonder it's called Loi Katoey.

For our American and other non English speaking friends:

Transverse: adj, situated, arranged, or acting in a crosswise direction

Transvestite: n, person deriving pleasure from dressing in the clothes of the opposite sex

so do you guys now understand the difference between the two words?

:o

CB

Oh, and I have a related question. Does anyone know whether, as I suppose, the inhabitants of Luang Prabang celebrate a version of Loi Krathong (no doubt, by a different name), and, if so, how festively?

I am not aware of any similar festival there but I would not be surprised if they have adopted it. As far as I know the only festival in November is Bun Pha That Luang. It is the full moon festival ie at the same time as Loi Krathong but mainly held in Vientiane. Part of the festival is a candle lit procession between Pha That Luang and Wat Si Muang. If you are looking for something in Laos at that time it would be a worthwhile experience. The festival lasts about a week during which a lot of feasting and drinking happens.

CB

The festival lasts about a week during which a lot of feasting and drinking happens.

Made your reservations yet? :o

That reminds me, how booked up do you think the hotels will be on the 23rd - the night of the unofficial CM pissup? And how busy the area will be?

The festival lasts about a week during which a lot of feasting and drinking happens.

Made your reservations yet? :o

That reminds me, how booked up do you think the hotels will be on the 23rd - the night of the unofficial CM pissup? And how busy the area will be?

Anyone thinking of going to Vientiane for the festival should book ahead but when I went to the festival it seemed to be a main Lao celebration with most foreigners being local expats. There were certainly quite a few imports for the festival but they don't really change the amount of accomodation available.

If I was going anywhere at that time it would be to Phnom Phen for the reversal of the Tonle Sap when the river changed direction. There are a lot more people looking for a seriously good time and accomodation can be a premium.

I personally like Loi Kratong and assuming my schedule doesn't have me working I will stay here in CM. My girlfriend and I will float a kratong down the Mae Ping and celebrate with the other locals and expats in town. I usually book a hotel room and yes they can get hard to find at that time mainly because the roads are blocked off coming into town via the river. The other side of town then becomes a quagmire of cars and motorbikes. Add in the high octane fuel that people consume over the period and it becomes a potentially lethal mess.

CB